Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2022, 09:47 AM   #1001
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had to drive from downtown to the southern edge of the city for work, was super slow, but didn't start feeling dicey until I passed Canyon Meadows. It stops feeling like city snowy conditions and becomes more country snowy conditions at that point. Hope everyone made it ok, especially if you're driving in from the edges of the city. Definitely stay home if you're able to!

EDIT: Should mention I took Macleod, hence why it didn't feel dicey until then. If you were on Deerfoot/Stoney I'm sure it was a wild ride no matter where in the city you were.

Last edited by Sainters7; 11-02-2022 at 10:02 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 09:55 AM   #1002
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Hrmmm, about those Christmas lights I probably should have put up...
I thought about putting mine up this weekend but the roof was still slightly damp... yeah.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2022, 10:02 AM   #1003
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I intended to head to the office today, but northbound Macleod was backed up Stoney, so that was a nope for me. Very poor visibility and drifting snow on the highways outside of the city too!
bagofpucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 10:11 AM   #1004
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
A few vehicles abandoned around Sarcee trail this morning. Secondary roads in the NE have a layer of ice below the snow and are deceptively slippery. It would be a good idea to work from home today if you can. I'm in the office wondering why I didn't.
Yeah, there's a lot of abandoned vehicles all over the place, in the residential areas too. Gotta keep your head up and make sure you don't miss any of those.

I'm going to do half hybrid. WFH morning, go into the office in afternoon (mainly to grab files) then maybe WFH for much of the rest of the week if it's going to be similarly bad this week.

I had no major issues with driving my kids this morning. But damn other people are ####e at driving. That's what I worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm sure your neighbours love you.
I have a gas snow thrower and it made decently quick work. Worth every penny and the city bylaw for noise is 7AM so I'm not violating any rules. I had to do the road a bit too or I'd get stuck just trying to back out. Did both my neighbors' sidewalk too, because I could.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 10:14 AM   #1005
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find gas snow throwers far less obnoxious than leaf blowers, and they get the job done way faster. Tool for the job and all.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2022, 11:02 AM   #1006
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I wish it was hotter
i mean I would settle for lukewarm at this point
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 11:11 AM   #1007
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
At least it's lighter and dryer than the last snow, could use the leafblower instead of shovelling
I discovered that the blower works great, unless its a breezy swirling wind.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 12:22 PM   #1008
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had to drive from Mckenzie to Saddletown this morning during the morning commute. Took Stoney north. What a treacherous drive going there. Been driving for 20 years and this was top 3 scariest I can ever remember. I knew as soon as I turned onto Stoney from 52nd I'd made a mistake not changing my appointment. The road was pure ice at some points. And the number of #######s with out their lights off and semi trucks in the left lane ripping by....Jesus f'ing christ. Ridiculous how some people still don't get it. Going home was significantly better at least and less wind overall.

As a side note we have 2 Ukrainian refugees staying with us starting tomorrow. They are coming from Spain. Literally the first question I want to ask them (in the least offensive way, given their circumstances) is why the F they chose here instead of staying in Spain.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 11-02-2022 at 12:25 PM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2022, 12:30 PM   #1009
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I'm taking a snow day. What time is The Price is Right on?
11am, but Drew Carey is medicore at best as the host.
Old 11-02-2022, 12:31 PM   #1010
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Ha! I never took mine down, and turned them on last night in all their glory to see if they still worked.
I put up some Twinkly programmable LED lights last year for just this reason. They're very small so you can hardly see them in the daytime when they're off, but at night they look great and I can put whatever color patterns I want

Now if I could only convince the wife to splurge a few thousand dollars for the professional Gemstone type light setup
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 12:33 PM   #1011
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Wind and snow suck ass. Ice sucks ass. Cold temperatures suck ass. This La Nina pattern sucks ass. Fuggin' hate this ####.
I hear you. Auckland does suck ass this time of year.
Old 11-02-2022, 12:40 PM   #1012
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I put up some Twinkly programmable LED lights last year for just this reason. They're very small so you can hardly see them in the daytime when they're off, but at night they look great and I can put whatever color patterns I want

Now if I could only convince the wife to splurge a few thousand dollars for the professional Gemstone type light setup
Fall off the roof "fixing" the LED lights. Make sure to land in a snowbank but have to spend the rest of the day on your couch in pain. Tell her you are now worried about having to go up on the roof all the time for the lights. You got a quote from someone and it was $500 to put lights up and take them back down. Gemstone Lights will pay for themselves in 4 years.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 01:50 PM   #1013
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I have a gas snow thrower and it made decently quick work. Worth every penny and the city bylaw for noise is 7AM so I'm not violating any rules. I had to do the road a bit too or I'd get stuck just trying to back out. Did both my neighbors' sidewalk too, because I could.
I did the same this morning. We have new neighbours on one side and when I'm out there with the snowblower I just do their front walk while I'm at it.

I know you have 24 hours to clear it but we're sandwiched between a Jr. High and an Elementary school, so if you dont get to the walks soonish it gets trampled into an icy mush and the kids have to walk through the deep snow.

They can deal with their driveway in their own time, but it takes me like 1-2 actual minutes to clear just the sidewalks and kill the clock with the snowblower.

Our last neighbours were a collective of renters and they were all EMTs so their schedules were wild so I'd just clear their sidewalk so they didnt have to worry about it.

We were chatting over beers a few years back and they were telling me:

"Yeah, we work crazy schedules and sometimes you're out there at a perfectly reasonable time but maybe our heads just hit the pillow or we have a couple hours before we have to get up for a shift and there goes your snowblower, but it saves us from having to worry about it until we have down-time, so we still really appreciate it."

They were really cool about it. Theres not much I can do, I have no way of knowing their shifts, I'm just trying to make it so that they dont have to stay up late or wake up early to worry about the snow on their sidewalk. They can take care of their driveway whenever.

It helped them and its really no sweat off my back.

We had a rental property next to us for about 7 years until recently and we were blessed with some amazing neighbours, the guy that owned that place really put great work in on vetting his tenants.

Prior to the EMTs we had Rwandan refugees and that was wild. Some days you'd wake up 6 or 8 Rwandans and their kids clearing snow like some sort of ruthlessly efficient chain-gang.

They were out there shoveling completely unprepared, no toques, no gloves, light coats and SANDALS! Some of them didnt even have shovels! They were using their hands. But they were not letting anything stop them.

I invited them and their families over for drinks early on and that was fantastic, just such a wonderful group of people.

I remember telling them:

"Dont waste your time and energy on my property, if you do, just the sidewalk. Because if I havent cleared the sidewalk it means I've been working and havent gotten around to it yet.

I do not possess a great deal of skills, what I do possess however is stuff. I have 3 kids that moved out and what they left behind is a smorgasbord of winter gear!"

So my wife and I put together all of our excess winter stuff, invited the Rwandans over drinks and dinner and told them to take whatever they needed/wanted or fit them.

Toques, gloves, coats, boots...take it! Take it all! You take it or it gets donated and they were STOKED.

Then I gave them my mom's business card, she works at Lowes in commercial, she will kit you out with shovels and whatever else you want or need at a discount.

Aw those guys were great.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2022, 02:10 PM   #1014
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I did the same this morning.

I do not possess a great deal of skills, what I do possess however is stuff. I have 3 kids that moved out and what they left behind is a smorgasbord of winter gear!"
Au contraire, sounds like this is your approach to snow.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/a7/a772...43fe55f96a.jpg
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 02:13 PM   #1015
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish it were colder. This temp sucks because the pavements maintains a wet layer that makes everything stick to your snow shovel and weighs you down. Barf
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 02:16 PM   #1016
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I wish it were colder. This temp sucks because the pavements maintains a wet layer that makes everything stick to your snow shovel and weighs you down. Barf
I think roads are worse if this is colder. At these temps, strugglers can still spin their tires and move/melt the slush away to reach pavement and get some traction to go. If it's colder, they're completely stuck.

I agree with the weight of the shovel. It sucks, so I definitely make sure to lift not only with my arms, but a leg as well to reduce the possibility of injuring myself.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2022, 02:40 PM   #1017
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Was using my old corded snow blower to clear my walkway, wasn't paying enough attention and caught the cord. I spent about 10 minutes trying to untangle the broken cord out of the auger before saying "fata this" and went to Home Depot. I'm now a proud owner of a Ryobi cordless snow blower, and it ####s all over the old one. Really wish I had just bought the bullet last year when it was $200 cheaper
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 02:41 PM   #1018
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pft. Shovels.

Shovels are for the Proletariat!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 03:47 PM   #1019
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Maybe a dumb question, but can you buy a snow blower that you can reduce the throwing distance? I only have one side of the driveway to blow on and I share about 6 feet of grass with the neighbor before their driveway starts. Just buy the cheapest, lowest power one?
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 03:49 PM   #1020
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
Maybe a dumb question, but can you buy a snow blower that you can reduce the throwing distance? I only have one side of the driveway to blow on and I share about 6 feet of grass with the neighbor before their driveway starts. Just buy the cheapest, lowest power over?
Dont think Ive seen any in the consumer space where you can adjust the throw distance/power, but most you can change the angle of the chute so you're shooting more "downwards" thus doesn't go very far. Same effect-sorta
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post: