Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2017, 05:14 PM   #2341
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

They could have been only five games under .500 if it wasn't for another blown save by Osuna.

But no, too many teams ahead of them.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:22 PM   #2342
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's the Jays 2017 season in a nutshell.

They'd be 11-2 in the last couple weeks but the once automatic Osuna has blown 3 saves.

Terrible starting pitching and the bullpen is awesome.
Starters get rolling and the bullpen goes to ####.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #2343
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
That's the Jays 2017 season in a nutshell.

They'd be 11-2 in the last couple weeks but the once automatic Osuna has blown 3 saves.

Terrible starting pitching and the bullpen is awesome.
Starters get rolling and the bullpen goes to ####.
Yeah, but they also benefited poor bullpens going the other way on that run. Steve Pierce shouldn't be winning back to back games coming from behind with a grand slam walk off.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #2344
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rain maker 2 for 2 with two homers and 4 RBI thru 3 innings so far tonight.

I hope he's fully healthy next season. Such a boost to the line up. Probably out roughly 5 wins just because of his down year alone, which would have put us right in the thick of it.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:18 AM   #2345
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jays win a relatively normal game, with the only real hiccup coming in the 8th inning. What is this sorcery?
Old 08-09-2017, 10:30 AM   #2346
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...zki-60-day-dl/

Blue Jays transfer Troy Tulowitzki to 60-day DL
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:09 AM   #2347
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This team CANNOT go into next season with Tulo/Travis/Goins/Barney as their group of middle infielders if they truly want to be competitive.

Travis is always hurt.
Tulo is not very good anymore, and also always hurt.
Goins and Barney are not good enough to play everyday IMO.

And Refsnyder so far doesn't seem much better than Goins or Barney to be honest.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #2348
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
This team CANNOT go into next season with Tulo/Travis/Goins/Barney as their group of middle infielders if they truly want to be competitive.

Travis is always hurt.
Tulo is not very good anymore, and also always hurt.
Goins and Barney are not good enough to play everyday IMO.

And Refsnyder so far doesn't seem much better than Goins or Barney to be honest.
Tulo was recently named one of MLB's top 10 untradeable contracts, so we'll most likely be stuck with him.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:04 PM   #2349
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Tulo was recently named one of MLB's top 10 untradeable contracts, so we'll most likely be stuck with him.
Yeah Tulo is unlikely to be going anywhere, and Travis is good when healthy, hopefully they have a better back up plan though for when either of these guys get hurt again.

Maybe Gurriel will be ready and capable.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:16 PM   #2350
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Tulo is getting to a point where he's a zero WAR guy, and Russel Martin is starting to move that way too. That's a lot of money tied up for replacement level production.

I think the Jays really should consider that they have these contracts to navigate thru in the next 3 years. If you have this much of your budget committed to replacement level production, can you really compete?
Old 08-09-2017, 04:41 PM   #2351
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tulo is pretty much zero WAR this year, but his defense is saving him a bit as his offense is pretty dismal this year. The concern is if the defense continues to decline then there could be trouble as his offense has to turn around somewhat at some point.

Russell is still quite good though - his 1.8 WAR is 3rd on the team. His offense is around league average (which is above replacement level) and his defense is still quite good. I'm not really worried about Russell's contract at all.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:08 PM   #2352
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

So many scrub pitchers used by the Jays this season, ugh
Old 08-09-2017, 07:13 PM   #2353
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

NM- I'm on crack

Last edited by socalwingfan; 08-10-2017 at 11:16 AM.
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #2354
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Tulo is getting to a point where he's a zero WAR guy, and Russel Martin is starting to move that way too. That's a lot of money tied up for replacement level production.

I think the Jays really should consider that they have these contracts to navigate thru in the next 3 years. If you have this much of your budget committed to replacement level production, can you really compete?
Probably not. Martin is only going to decline from this point on and Tulo is at a sub Reyes level when the Jays made the trade a few years ago to acquire him. Doubt anyone is touching these contracts unless someone equally as bad comes back as well.

Some major moves will need to be made to get the team back to the post season by next season. Otherwise you ride it out and hope for the prospects to be ready sooner than anticipated.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #2355
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Probably not. Martin is only going to decline from this point on and Tulo is at a sub Reyes level when the Jays made the trade a few years ago to acquire him. Doubt anyone is touching these contracts unless someone equally as bad comes back as well.

Some major moves will need to be made to get the team back to the post season by next season. Otherwise you ride it out and hope for the prospects to be ready sooner than anticipated.
The Jays will be making zero moves to get back to the post season next year. They'll ride out what they got for one more year of financial success while continue to build up their minor league system through the draft.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:13 PM   #2356
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Tulo is pretty much zero WAR this year, but his defense is saving him a bit as his offense is pretty dismal this year. The concern is if the defense continues to decline then there could be trouble as his offense has to turn around somewhat at some point.

Russell is still quite good though - his 1.8 WAR is 3rd on the team. His offense is around league average (which is above replacement level) and his defense is still quite good. I'm not really worried about Russell's contract at all.
Martin has two years left right? I don't know how much of him playing as many games at third this year has to do with Donaldson needing a rest, or Martin possibly needing a break from catching. I'm thinking it's somewhere in between.

His is definitely a more manageable deal. Both guys seem to provide some form of Leadership...will the next wave of guys be in the Majors while these guys are still there though to benefit from it?
Old 08-10-2017, 02:20 PM   #2357
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
The Jays will be making zero moves to get back to the post season next year. They'll ride out what they got for one more year of financial success while continue to build up their minor league system through the draft.
Sure about that? Rogers isn't going to be happy spending the kind of money they are to be a doormat next year. There will be some turn-over, how much remains to be seen. If prospects like Guerrero etc are not viewed as full time MLB ready until 2020 (which certainly could be the case) that would be a very tough pill to swallow.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:58 PM   #2358
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Sure about that? Rogers isn't going to be happy spending the kind of money they are to be a doormat next year. There will be some turn-over, how much remains to be seen. If prospects like Guerrero etc are not viewed as full time MLB ready until 2020 (which certainly could be the case) that would be a very tough pill to swallow.
I'm 100% sure of that. I'm so sure about it, I said it two years ago after we lost to Kansas in the playoffs. The Jays would ride out the roster for two more years collecting all the cash they could and severely start to reduce payroll back to a mid-level team. We had a 3 year window. It's gone. If they start to sell this offseason, their gravy train ends a year early. Not going to happen, and they sure as heck aren't going to be adding salary which is actually a good decisions as they are too old and they do not have the team to compete anymore with the Red Sox and Yankees who have returned to form.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 08-10-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:38 PM   #2359
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Season from hell. Even the rookies aren't immune to the injury bug.

@thehazelmae: RHP Taylor Cole placed on 10-day DL with Right 5th Toe Fracture. RHP Chris Smith has been recalled.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #2360
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

And newcomers

@Wilnerness590: Gibby: Aoki is sick. Real high fever after the game last night. Might not even be here today. #Bluejays #Jays
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote