Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2021, 08:37 PM   #21
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
So just an update - I called back again to see if I got someone better and they were saying basically the large increase was all from the cable box. I'm thinking Skaloper might have nailed it here where we are suddenly using 4K content even though we can't use it with our current TV. I'll look into a way to turn down the quality from the streaming (if that's possible?)
For Netflix and Amazon Video, I think you can choose the stream quality in settings.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:47 PM   #22
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainReboot View Post
For my Telus Fiber plan, unlimited is a promotion for the first two years of my contract. I'm sure though if I agree to another contract, they'll throw unlimited usage in.
Who stays on a plan for 2 years? 2 years and under is when you switch when the other ISP tries to lure you away.

I've gone back and forth with Shaw and Telus like once every year. They keep offering to pay my cancellation fee with the other guys.

I'm on fibre 75 for $45 a month but I've heard of people getting this for even cheaper. Usually it performs closer to 90 symmetrical.

If you are in a plan with fixed limits, just call the competition to see what they will offer you then go back to your ISP and get the retention team to give you a package.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:05 AM   #23
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Who stays on a plan for 2 years? 2 years and under is when you switch when the other ISP tries to lure you away.

I've gone back and forth with Shaw and Telus like once every year. They keep offering to pay my cancellation fee with the other guys.

I'm on fibre 75 for $45 a month but I've heard of people getting this for even cheaper. Usually it performs closer to 90 symmetrical.

If you are in a plan with fixed limits, just call the competition to see what they will offer you then go back to your ISP and get the retention team to give you a package.
There is no way I am going back to Shaw after being on Telus's 1 GB fiber, unless Shaw increases their upload capacity. I'd try to renegotiate with Telus after my two years. I'm currently paying $50 for 1 gig up and down right now, which was my price for being in a 2 year contract. I was paying over $100 for Shaw 300 and they would not budge on price. This was a year ago though.

I work 100% remotely and need the upload speed as I work on lots of large files both in the cloud and at our office data center.

Last edited by CaptainReboot; 06-03-2021 at 11:08 AM.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:14 PM   #24
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah I currently get 100Mbps upload on Shaw, the number of large files I have to upload is far less than it used to be as well so I'm satisfied with that now, but there was a point when I only had 15Mbps upload that if Telus Fiber was available to me I would have switched just for the faster upload.

But currently the best I can get from Telus is 150Mbps down and 30Mbps up for $90 a month. LOLno.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:47 PM   #25
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
There is no way I am going back to Shaw after being on Telus's 1 GB fiber, unless Shaw increases their upload capacity. I'd try to renegotiate with Telus after my two years. I'm currently paying $50 for 1 gig up and down right now, which was my price for being in a 2 year contract. I was paying over $100 for Shaw 300 and they would not budge on price. This was a year ago though.

I work 100% remotely and need the upload speed as I work on lots of large files both in the cloud and at our office data center.
1G up and down for $50 is fantastic for Telus. It's about 90% faster then what I am getting for $45.

Telus fiber is great for the symmetrical up/down.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:26 PM   #26
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Final update: Called back again asking for the unlimited data because our usage hadn't changed and they were not able to help me try and figure out what was going on. First guy said he'd just sell it to me for $20/month, which I obviously said no to. Got transferred to someone else and they gave me 2 years unlimited. Squeeky wheel or something?

Anyway, it's still bothering my things changed so much. Just a few days ago we hit 30GB and the detail says it was about 15GB up and 15GB down. The past few days have been 15GB and under, with virtually 0GB up. Any thoughts on what would cause a spike in the uploads? I think that might be the main culprit here.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:55 PM   #27
Skaloper
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Final update: Called back again asking for the unlimited data because our usage hadn't changed and they were not able to help me try and figure out what was going on. First guy said he'd just sell it to me for $20/month, which I obviously said no to. Got transferred to someone else and they gave me 2 years unlimited. Squeeky wheel or something?

Anyway, it's still bothering my things changed so much. Just a few days ago we hit 30GB and the detail says it was about 15GB up and 15GB down. The past few days have been 15GB and under, with virtually 0GB up. Any thoughts on what would cause a spike in the uploads? I think that might be the main culprit here.
Upload leads me to believe it's a computer. If you have windows computers make sure in delivery optimizations for Windows Update you have Allow downloads from other PCs to Off. In this menu you can also find an activity log to see if it's the culprit.
Skaloper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skaloper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #28
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Last 5 months

Dec - 1249 Down / 41 Up
Jan - 992 Down / 51 Up
Feb - 787 Down / 34 Up
Mar - 1062 Down / 16 Up
April - 779 Down / 16 Up

We stream a fair bit of 4K content, plus game downloads. It's about what I'd expect.
Unlimited data is definitely essential with any internet plan these days - there's two much variability MTM and it's so easy to go over.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 10:25 AM   #29
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Average 2000 Down, 500 Up for the last five months, most of that is likely Plex traffic and transfers of work files.

Quote:

$50 for Telus Fibre is a fantastic deal, how did you manage that? Best they offered me was $90/mo
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 03:26 PM   #30
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Average 2000 Down, 500 Up for the last five months, most of that is likely Plex traffic and transfers of work files.

$50 for Telus Fibre is a fantastic deal, how did you manage that? Best they offered me was $90/mo
I got a discount for being a mobile phone customer through my old employer and also there was a promotion for being on that same EPP when you sign up for home services. My offer at the time was $50 for Internet if I got the PikTV add on for $10.

Last edited by CaptainReboot; 06-11-2021 at 03:45 PM.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:14 PM   #31
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Since 2021 started:
Jan-Feb: 1200GB
Feb-Mar: 1000GB
Mar-Apr: 1000GB
Apr-May: 850GB
May-Jun: 900GB
Current: 831GB (Might be a big month for me)
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote