Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2021, 11:11 AM   #21
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

plus his contract is super attractive because they need to get to the floor too and there is only one year left on his 6.75 mill price tag which gives them all year to try and extend him to his last 3 year deal. Captain material, terrific in the community, tenured in the league, undrafted to Norris which is a great example for all the players coming in who might feel discarded in a way. I think it’s a perfect match for Seattle and the benefit for Calgary is it opens up a ton of flexibility for us. I hope we turn around and sign Oleksiak to get that Regehr type Dman that Sutter loves to have in his top 4.

Hanifin - Tanev
Oleksiak - Andersson
Valimaki - Stone
Kylington/Kinvall
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2021, 11:22 AM   #22
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Yeah. I’d be in favour of Tanev personally. Skilled, smart, calm. Fits the boxes.

I like this he has earned it. Too bad though if other players didn't want to invest enough to earn it! Tanev would be my pick.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 11:42 AM   #23
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this point I'm just hoping the Kraken take some aging cap from us, whether it be Gio or long shot Lucic. Even Backlund if the Flames choose to expose him, which I doubt.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2021, 05:51 PM   #24
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

"We'll give you Backlund if you take Lucic!"
Old 05-23-2021, 06:08 PM   #25
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Best play here is to have gio to threaten retirement if he’s selected. You can pick me but if you do, I will retire. Could be a bluff, could be real. But plant the seed.

I hope we can take advantage of a team with protection issues and pick up a good young player. We can expose backlund if necessary. I don’t see his contract being overly attractive.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:00 PM   #26
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as they don’t make any dumb side deals to get an extra protection slot I’m fine. Don’t give up draft picks to protect your 11th best player.

Just lose who you’re gonna lose and figure it out from there. I’ll be pissed if they do anything dumb like that.

Personally I hope they take Gio. Absolutely love Gio and it would be really tough to see him go but unfortunately I think it’s what’s best for the team at this point. Doing what’s best for the team isn’t always easy.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2021, 07:25 PM   #27
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

We'll be fine without whoever Seattle takes. Well at least as fine as we are now, anyway.
Geeoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:27 PM   #28
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Be great if Seattle would take a good cap hit. We need the dollars to booster offence. If they take a baby well we will never afford talent up front
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:07 PM   #29
Burn13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
Best play here is to have gio to threaten retirement if he’s selected. You can pick me but if you do, I will retire. Could be a bluff, could be real. But plant the seed.

I hope we can take advantage of a team with protection issues and pick up a good young player. We can expose backlund if necessary. I don’t see his contract being overly attractive.
This is s great idea. The Kipper move.
Burn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:24 PM   #30
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If I’m Gio going to Seattle isn’t such a bad idea. Could end up getting traded to a contender, or perhaps get a couple more years playing for Seattle.

It’s not like Calgary offers much hope for winning.

If I’m Seattle, I would call his bluff. Not like there is much else to pick. And you could always trade him back to Calgary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:21 AM   #31
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Lucic’s best role is a 4th liner…dude doesn’t fight former teammates mean he is useless against the Oilers. That’s a big no.
He fought Nurse this year.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan21 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2021, 11:46 AM   #32
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Would it be crazy for the Flames to offer up Backlund in an effort to protect Giordano?

I’d be pretty happy if they did that.

If we want to change the culture of the team I think doing something like protecting Lucic - because he’s earned it - would send a pretty strong message.
I'd want at least a 2nd coming back. ie. Backlund for a 2nd and expansion draft considerations (they select Leivo or Ryan or our worst prospect).

I'd still rather keep Backlund and move one of the big 4 not named Elias.

Quote:

Pretty empty threat since he's owed a full $6.75M
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 01:11 PM   #33
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames are guaranteed to lose a player in the expansion draft. Losing another asset in the form of a draft pick is mind bottling to me.

Much scarier is the team using the cap space on something dumb like James Neal if Seattle takes Gio.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:21 PM   #34
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
The Flames are guaranteed to lose a player in the expansion draft. Losing another asset in the form of a draft pick is mind bottling to me.

Much scarier is the team using the cap space on something dumb like James Neal if Seattle takes Gio.
Yeah I'm scared we'll give 5x5 to Zach Hyman and then he'll turn into Troy Brouwer
Geeoff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2021, 01:21 PM   #35
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

True. Did any of those types of deals work out during the Vegas expansion? It seems like every time a team gave up something to convince Vegas to take, or not take, certain players, it worked in Vegas's favour.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:50 PM   #36
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan21 View Post
He fought Nurse this year.
Yeah, I forgot that but in general it’s still true. He should have beaten the crap out of than punk Kassian.

Anyway Lucic is what he is. I learned to accept him.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:19 PM   #37
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
True. Did any of those types of deals work out during the Vegas expansion? It seems like every time a team gave up something to convince Vegas to take, or not take, certain players, it worked in Vegas's favour.
Everything Vegas did went well

I’m not even just joking at the Oilers expense when I say that Vegas taking Reinhart was their worst move of all. They could have taken Khaira, and he’s not even that good but that was their biggest miss.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:18 AM   #38
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames should be doing whatever they can to persuade Seattle to take Monahan. Flames need the cap space and there is zero guarantee that he will regain his old form here, especially now that he isn't playing with Gaudreau anymore. They have tried to move him for 2 straight off seasons with no success, therefore his perceived value around the league is low. Eliminating 6+ million on the cap would go a long way for this group, and would be a good shake up to the existing core.

Seattle could be a fresh start for them, and a potential to get into their top 6. With 2 years left on his deal, it could be attractive for them
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:29 AM   #39
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Pedro View Post
Flames should be doing whatever they can to persuade Seattle to take Monahan. Flames need the cap space and there is zero guarantee that he will regain his old form here, especially now that he isn't playing with Gaudreau anymore. They have tried to move him for 2 straight off seasons with no success, therefore his perceived value around the league is low. Eliminating 6+ million on the cap would go a long way for this group, and would be a good shake up to the existing core.

Seattle could be a fresh start for them, and a potential to get into their top 6. With 2 years left on his deal, it could be attractive for them
Monahan's value is much higher than free.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2021, 07:38 AM   #40
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Pedro View Post

If they exposed Monahan they wouldn't have to convince Seattle to take him, its be an obvious and easy choice.

It would also be crazy, since they could let Seattle take someone less valuable and trade Monahan for assets. He would almost certainly be one of if not the very best centre available to them.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote