Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-18-2021, 05:34 PM   #21
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
You’re such a positive light in every thread and every topic
What those guys did has no influence on Wolf except yes goalies are hard to project
He’s still one of the organizations top prospects
So he is hard to project but still the organization top prospect? Lol

Don’t get mad at fellow fans, they didn’t create the Flames mess

Wolf is a small goalie, nothing has really changed since he was one of the last players picked in the draft. He is still on the same team with the same stats....too early to be excited about him
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:47 PM   #22
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Wow, most of those teams in the bottom 10 have won Cups or went to the Stanley Cup finals in recent years. The Flames on the other-hand, not even close. How fitting that they and the NYI, the 2 most mediocre teams over the past 3 decades get to sit side by side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The New York Islanders made the conference finals last year and have won 4 playoff series in the past 5 years. They are definitely above the average for NHL teams these days.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 05:58 PM   #23
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You’re such a positive light in every thread and every topic
What those guys did has no influence on Wolf except yes goalies are hard to project
He’s still one of the organizations top prospects
We have missed on every goalie since Vernon (unless I am missing someone?).
Is it the scouting? The development? I just can't believe it is all down to bad luck for 35 years. I would really like us to grab to Clark this off-season, as he is apparently leaving VAN. He is a proven goalie whisperer, and I really want to see if he makes a material difference, much like we were all anxious to see a real coach behind the bench...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:01 PM   #24
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post

Wolf is a small goalie, nothing has really changed since he was one of the last players picked in the draft. He is still on the same team with the same stats....too early to be excited about him
Not that you're necessarily wrong... but I was at Wolf's first three AHL games. He was absolutely fantastic. His numbers don't look great because he had a stretch at the very beginning where he allowed six goals on his first twelve shots. All six of those goals came either on brutal deflections (four) or after turnovers within 10 feet of his crease (two).

After those goals, he made 62 saves on the final 64 shots he faced in the AHL. As a 19-year-old. And a lot of those saves were of the show-stopping, highlight-reel variety.

There are no guarantees with Wolf, but there's also no denying he's given fans a lot of reasons to be excited.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 06:17 PM   #25
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Is it the scouting? The development? I just can't believe it is all down to bad luck for 35 years. I would really like us to grab to Clark this off-season, as he is apparently leaving VAN. He is a proven goalie whisperer, and I really want to see if he makes a material difference, much like we were all anxious to see a real coach behind the bench...
It is certainly a result of bad luck the last decade or so. Gillies was tracking just fine through the start of his rookie pro season, which ended with a serious injury, and he has never looked the same since. Parsons was a phenom in Juniour and a star on the US Gold Medal championship WJC team. But he has struggled with well documented mental health issues and nagging injuries since tbe start of his pro career. These are not scouting or developmental shortcomings of the organization.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 08:24 PM   #26
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I said ONE OF their top prospects?
Do you disagree?
What is your list.
Instead of taking your usual crap over everyone's opinion because of your usual negativity - tell us what your list is.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:50 AM   #27
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It is certainly a result of bad luck the last decade or so. Gillies was tracking just fine through the start of his rookie pro season, which ended with a serious injury, and he has never looked the same since. Parsons was a phenom in Juniour and a star on the US Gold Medal championship WJC team. But he has struggled with well documented mental health issues and nagging injuries since tbe start of his pro career. These are not scouting or developmental shortcomings of the organization.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Joni Ortio, Mason MacDonald...it’s not just bad luck
Old 04-19-2021, 06:53 AM   #28
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I said ONE OF their top prospects?
Do you disagree?
What is your list.
Instead of taking your usual crap over everyone's opinion because of your usual negativity - tell us what your list is.
I disagree Wolf as a top prospect this early

You don’t have a monopoly on opinion

I don’t do list

Sorry that you don’t like negativity but I don’t like fake positive when results have not shown it for so long . Treliving and the organization deserve the hard truth .

Last edited by Flamesfan05; 04-19-2021 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:57 AM   #29
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree Wolf as a top prospect this early

You don’t have a monopoly on opinion

I don’t do list
Got it. Easier to take shots at others' opinions than state your own. Particularly when you are taking the pessimistic view across every topic.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 07:03 AM   #30
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Are there multiple teams who have hit on multiple goalie prospects? I doubt it.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:05 AM   #31
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Interesting.

i learned that although Wolf is a top 60-100 prospect in the entire league according to a least 1 publication,(and is ripping up the WHL once again) he isnt anywhere near a top prospect on the Calgary Flames because....opinion.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:43 AM   #32
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I know is that it’s pretty 50-50 among NHL teams to have a self-drafted goalie as their starter, and plenty acquired both of their present goalies from elsewhere.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:43 AM   #33
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
The New York Islanders made the conference finals last year and have won 4 playoff series in the past 5 years. They are definitely above the average for NHL teams these days.
Yeah Arizona and Calgary stick out as the two organizations that don't have anything to show for having a poor prospect base. Nashville (recent history) and Edmonton (losers) are in there too although Flames fans would kill to have the amount of success the Predators have had over the last decade. This all comes back to the GM and why I don't understand why Treliving still has supporters as he's done a terrible job with this organization as he hasn't built a contender and he's also not amassed a good prospect base despite having being at top 10 tenured GM in the league. No playoff team and poor prospect base is a bout as big a reflection on the GM as there can be.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 08:07 AM   #34
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Craig Anderson, Dwayne Roloson
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Bozek For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 08:48 AM   #35
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah Arizona and Calgary stick out as the two organizations that don't have anything to show for having a poor prospect base. Nashville (recent history) and Edmonton (losers) are in there too although Flames fans would kill to have the amount of success the Predators have had over the last decade. This all comes back to the GM and why I don't understand why Treliving still has supporters as he's done a terrible job with this organization as he hasn't built a contender and he's also not amassed a good prospect base despite having being at top 10 tenured GM in the league. No playoff team and poor prospect base is a bout as big a reflection on the GM as there can be.
Arizona has had some pretty bad General Managers and management in general though. It makes sense that they are on the list. Chayka may have been an improvement on their previous management team, which is a sad statement.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:06 AM   #36
BeltlineFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bozek View Post
Craig Anderson, Dwayne Roloson
I think Curtis McElhinney belongs in that conversation too. He's never been a starter but playing in the NHL 19 years after his draft year feels like a hit to me.
BeltlineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BeltlineFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 09:41 AM   #37
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Broissoit?
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 10:01 AM   #38
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Goalies being tough to project is the exact reason we should never take one high again. Sign free agents out of Europe and take flyers in the 6th and 7th rounds like Brossoit and Wolf
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:04 AM   #39
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltlineFan View Post
I think Curtis McElhinney belongs in that conversation too. He's never been a starter but playing in the NHL 19 years after his draft year feels like a hit to me.
Agree, but I picked those two because as starters they also distinguished themselves by taking their teams deep into the playoffs.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Bozek For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 10:13 AM   #40
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Top teams often have a good prospect base because they can afford to leave their prospects in the minors for longer. Bottom dwellers have good prospect bases because of draft position. Calgary is in an odd spot, being a team that graduates a fair number of prospects - Dube, Valimaki, Andersson, Mangiapane being the latest, but they generally are second rounders or beyond.

Goalies - while not drafted, scouting did find Rittich and he was developed in Stockton for a year and a half.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote