Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2021, 04:33 PM   #1101
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

an exciting and bold revelation in the art of storytelling

JJ Abrams: Lack of plan in Star Wars’ latest trilogy was a “critical” flaw
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/...aw/?comments=1

Quote:
"Having a plan, I have learned—in some cases the hard way—is the most critical thing, because otherwise you don't know what you’re setting up. You don't know what to emphasize. Because if you don’t know the inevitable [sic] of the story, you're just as good as your last sequence or effect or joke or whatever, but you want to be leading to something inevitable."
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:23 PM   #1102
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Star Wars Squadrons is free on PS+ in June.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2021, 07:43 PM   #1103
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I missed this, but May 25th was the day that changed the movie going experience forever. drawing a blank, unsure, expecting me to put up some 50's movie or the first talky or color film.

Nope, May 25, 1977 blew peoples minds and started a massive fan base that has lead to billions in revenue, a whole generation of people who suddenly knew what the Force was, created the greatest villain of all time, and gave us all this.

For Star Wars fans, I'm sure we all remember where we saw this first time. Me and my dad and my best friend, we took the old station wagon with the wooden side panels downtown. We stood in line for an hour, I remember it was cold and my Dad was his usual grumpy self about standing outside in a huge lineup.

When we got in, I think it was the paliser, which was in the shadow of the Calgary Tower. My dad bought me and my buddy a bucket full of soggy over buttered popcorn, and a large soda each, which was a massive tweet. I sat beside my dad, and remember the lights going down, and then the iconic opener.

It started a tradition with my dad. We returned in 1980 when I was 15 for Empire, and 1983 for ROTJ. The only other movie I remember seeing with my dad in a theatre with my dad was Battlestar Galactica. Between ROTJ and 1999 when I was in my early 30s, my dad and me had some rough times, we went through a long period of time ignoring each other, but when I think back, I was glad that we had managed to bridge that gap, and we returned to the theatres in 1999 for Phantom Menace 2002 for AOTC, and 2005 for ROTS. By that time I was more middle aged, so we got to add the traditional nice meal before and a glass of scotch afterward.

Time ticked on We both got older, but we returned to the theatre in 2015, we didn't go for the first couple of months that it was on, and I delayed seeing it til we could go. By that time I was 48 and my dad was starting his 80's. We returned again in 2017 for the Last Jedi. Maybe it was the fact that I just wasn't a huge fan of that movie and neither was my dad. But it was also that my Dad was in his mid 80's and the theatre was too loud, and he couldn't follow things along as well as he used to, but it is probably the last movie that we'll see in a theatre. When TROS came out, I asked him if he wanted to go, and he basically declined, again he just didn't feel like he could sit through it. So I went with a friend, and when my dad asked me how it was, I honestly said, "You didn't miss much".

Sorry Maudlin post. But people ask me what I'm such a big fan of the franchise. Beyond the lore, beyond the characters and the stories and the effects. It was something that me and my dad did as a tradition, and I'm sure most of you will nod your head when I say, in a family with my mother and father and my 3 sisters (older). It was tough getting those Dad Son times, and have it become a tradition.

My Dad wasn't a sports fan, he actually hated watching me play, he wasn't a big sports fan, I think we watched one game together and maybe attended three of 4 Flames games in person, We didn't have those moments of playing catch in the back yard, He is a huge reader, well was, and loved science fiction. So we bonded over that.

(Ok to be fair, when I started coaching football for the first about 8 years I was coaching he would show up for games with my mom. Can you imagine that?).

So yeah, to summarize this monster, I'm sure a lot of fathers and sons went to the theaters in 1977 and got a great deal of joy out of watching a New Hope and the other Star Wars movies.

May the Force be with you

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2021, 09:23 AM   #1104
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
an exciting and bold revelation in the art of storytelling

JJ Abrams: Lack of plan in Star Wars’ latest trilogy was a “critical” flaw
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/...aw/?comments=1
Ya think? The sequels suck so damn bad. There's no bad guy for crying out loud
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:38 AM   #1105
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I can just see what the meetings were like. In spoilers for those that don't want to read it

Spoiler!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2021, 09:59 PM   #1106
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Interesting episode

Spoiler!

Old 05-28-2021, 10:56 PM   #1107
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Interesting episode

Spoiler!

i laughed when Omega first got her comm - that's soooooo what i would do!!! ha!
Old 05-29-2021, 12:56 AM   #1108
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I chuckled at the low 5 between her and Wrecker.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2021, 10:48 AM   #1109
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I thought this was really awesome.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2021, 12:34 AM   #1110
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

enjoyed the most recent bad batch episode.

just wondering if every episode is going to have a "look who showed up" moment. it's amazing that for a universe as huge as starwars that we keep coming across people/beings we know! ha!
i was kinda 'meh' with the sisters but it was sweet seeing Rex again.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:46 AM   #1111
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

We knew that Rex was going to show up again at some point. As one of my favorite Clone Wars characters it was a nice hook up as well as the other major easter egg.

Spoiler!

Old 06-12-2021, 11:54 AM   #1112
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

This episode got me back a bit. Probably cuz there was less focus on Omega. Really don’t enjoy her character at all. And whatever makes her special sure is being kept under wraps. Literally zero hints of anything interesting.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:40 PM   #1113
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:37 PM   #1114
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I was going to post that, its a great interview.

Old 06-19-2021, 09:21 AM   #1115
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Really good episode of bad batch as business really picked up

Spoiler!

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2021, 10:45 PM   #1116
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As someone who only knows the primary cannon, and not the extended universe at all, the big question for this series seems to be why are the storm troopers of the future not clones?

We got one hint on episode 1, when the Kaminoians complained that Jango's DNA was degrading. That answers why they aren't clones of Jango. But why not clone someone else.

What makes the most sense to me is we will get a 3 part revelation.

1) The clones themselves spending much of their life in aging chambers, don't last as long as typical Humans 15+/- years after attack of the clones, they are aging or their health is failing, and generally the army just isn't what it used to be.

2) The Kaminoians have some order 66 style kill switch in the clone army the empire doesn't know about, and will make a vain attempt at shutting down the party after they own up to what they themselves helped create,

3) Someone else will attempt to build a clone army for the empire, and their results will be less successful than the Kaminoians, we'll get some slightly horrific attempts at clones.

I think those 3 revelations, through a 3 season arc would serve as a strong narrative for the downfall of clone armies.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:45 AM   #1117
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I love this topic by the way. There are lots of reasons.

1) In Legends, the Kaminoans actually did create their own Clone Army and they rebelled against the Empire. But when that happened the Empire had already moved mostly into a Conscript army. But the Kaminoan clones didn't perform very well.

2) Palpatine didn't care as much about the quality of his army. The Clone Wars was a major war, and he needed the best equipment and men possible, and the Clones were formidable soldiers. Under the New Order, Palpatine felt that his army would be more about asserting control over small bush fires, so he didn't need hardcore soldiers, he needed intimidation and numbers.

3) If I recall correctly Clones aged 3 years for every 1 years. So your average 30 year old trooper was a 6 year old. By the time of a new hope most of the Clones were likely aged, The Rex thing was kind of funny because by the time Return of the Jedi came around, Rex would have been in his 80's if my math was right. Because they didn't have fresh Boba DNA and couldn't use Jango's it was difficult to continue the Fett linage of Clones/

4) Cloning was hideously expensive, there were episodes in TCW that touched on the fact that building the Clone Army nearly bankrupted the Empire. It was far cheaper to conscript and equipt a huge army of human troopers. And remember in Legends and the current EU, the Storm Trooper corp was actually very small, it was equivalent to the Marines. The larger Imperial Army was the main fighting force. Stormtroopers really only appeared in major battles of to defend strategically important targets. Stormtroopers became disposable since conscription and recruitment (Yes especially after the fall of the Republic, people were flocking to join the Imperial Army and Navy).

5) Even with the inhibitor chip, Palps really didn't trust the Jango clones, he felt that they were too independent and if the chips did fail it would be trouble. Instead they recruited and a lot of the training was indoctrination to defend not Palpatine, but the New Order. That things were better then they were under the Republic (And up until Alderaan it could be considered to be true)

Old 06-21-2021, 11:18 AM   #1118
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't there an "Order 67" switch too? I genuinely can't recall if that was something I read in one of the Legends EU books, or on a message board. There was order 66 to attack the Jedi and order 67 to attack the governing body and who knows how many more there could have been, if there were more?

Edit: I guess I could google that. And here is what I found:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Con..._1_Through_150

So, yes, in the Legends it existed, but Order 65.

Last edited by Buff; 06-21-2021 at 11:23 AM.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:08 PM   #1119
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That's why Palpatine to me was such a billiant character. He slipped things in without people realizing it, and he had total control over it.

I mean, the likelyhood that the Senate would allow an enactment of Order 65 is zero. Palpatine controlled the Senate at that point. The ones that he couldn't influence, he probably had dirt on. Palpatine also probably controlled or sat in on the Security Council meetings. As well, who all really knew all 150 orders.

Old 07-03-2021, 10:27 AM   #1120
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I haven't really put up many discussions, but this series is getting better and better as time goes on.

Just some thoughts

Spoiler!