Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2021, 07:31 PM   #1941
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
They're (the chef and co-owners) going to the Ranchmens Club.
I heard, I wonder if Ranchmen Club people are open to the cuisine fare they produced or it's a situation whereby the salary is > the hassles of running a small business in Calgary and also through the pandemic.

Ranchmen's strikes as steak and potato place. However, I did do some research and quite a few famous/quality Chef's has worked there.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:41 PM   #1942
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post

Ranchmen's strikes as steak and potato place. However, I did do some research and quite a few famous/quality Chef's has worked there.
It takes real skill to make Budweiser taste good.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:21 AM   #1943
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If we are talking Ranchmens Club, and not the honky tonk place, then yes, it has very high end dining. More of an old man club so I am not sure that would be a great place for anything avant garde, but still, they would have a good steady gig.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:26 AM   #1944
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:30 AM   #1945
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
If we are talking Ranchmens Club, and not the honky tonk place, then yes, it has very high end dining. More of an old man club so I am not sure that would be a great place for anything avant garde, but still, they would have a good steady gig.
Thanks for this, because I assumed it was the place on Macelod and had never heard of the Ranchmen's Club. TIL.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:58 PM   #1946
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Just saw that Von Der Fel's is closing at the end of July. What a shame.

This spot, through several chef iterations has been pumping out unique food that has most always been superb and won them Canada wide recognition.

They tried to mobilize through the pandemic and thought they would survive. Sad to lose this place which has been a door into another place in the world in YYC for sometime.
Von Der Fels has been the very best experiences dining in Calgary for me. The food was creative but what my wife and I loved was the experience. The ambiance, the wine selection, and the food. Such a trifecta when it was firing on all cylinders.

Reminded me of El Ideas in Chicago another open kitchen food lab that is probably among the best places there.

Simply put I wouldn’t run to influence getting a membership over this. They’ll elevate the food no doubt and it should be excellent. However unless their getting a down to earth wait staff and a dude cooking 10 ft from you it will lack something.

I wish them the best and understand the move, yet saddened that my biggest irk in dining, accessibility has hit the best place in Calgary. Funkin COVID I swear to….

Anyways I am still praying Nights and Weekends comes back and emerges to take the mantle. One can hope.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 02:14 PM   #1947
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Von Der Fels has been the very best experiences dining in Calgary for me. The food was creative but what my wife and I loved was the experience. The ambiance, the wine selection, and the food. Such a trifecta when it was firing on all cylinders.

Reminded me of El Ideas in Chicago another open kitchen food lab that is probably among the best places there.

Simply put I wouldn’t run to influence getting a membership over this. They’ll elevate the food no doubt and it should be excellent. However unless their getting a down to earth wait staff and a dude cooking 10 ft from you it will lack something.

I wish them the best and understand the move, yet saddened that my biggest irk in dining, accessibility has hit the best place in Calgary. Funkin COVID I swear to….

Anyways I am still praying Nights and Weekends comes back and emerges to take the mantle. One can hope.
You hit every nail on the head about Von Der Fels. We loved taking international guests to this restaurant to blow their mind.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 10:05 PM   #1948
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
You hit every nail on the head about Von Der Fels. We loved taking international guests to this restaurant to blow their mind.
I don’t remember the guy who works there and kensington wine market. He’s with Pizzaface now. Muscle man guy. Anyways he was one of our favorites. You’d come in and sit and he’d be like “tell me what you like”

We would be like something light and dry but not too dry… he’d nod and come back with a wine from Moldavia or something and just say try this.

Then the food would come.

Its a dining fanatics heaven and we have it. 2 years ago summer I can remember that experience vividly.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:53 PM   #1949
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Good news! Smugglers is coming back with new ownership. Bolero too along with Open Sesame renamed Monsoon.

https://calgaryherald.com/business/c...ck-in-business
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 10:07 AM   #1950
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Good news! Smugglers is coming back with new ownership. Bolero too along with Open Sesame renamed Monsoon.

That's nice. So, I gather the Tango Bistro will be re-absorbed back into Smugglers?

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:01 PM   #1951
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post

Smugglers, what an overhyped poop hole.

yuck

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 01:50 PM   #1952
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
That's nice. So, I gather the Tango Bistro will be re-absorbed back into Smugglers?
Yes, except it was called Frank's now.
I actually liked that place more than Smugglers!
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:48 PM   #1953
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The original version of Tango Bistro where it was all just shareable items was the best. Great for a couples dinner. My wife and I along with her brother and his wife used to go there pretty regularly when the menu was that format.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kiran403 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 06:20 PM   #1954
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Smugglers, what an overhyped poop hole.

yuck
In their heyday they were quite good imo. But the quality went down hill and the salad bar went to hell.
8 Ball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:21 PM   #1955
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
The original version of Tango Bistro where it was all just shareable items was the best. Great for a couples dinner. My wife and I along with her brother and his wife used to go there pretty regularly when the menu was that format.
Agreed. I went there for lunch often. Their mushroom soup was amazing.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:53 PM   #1956
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
In their heyday they were quite good imo. But the quality went down hill and the salad bar went to hell.
When would you put their heyday?

I can’t think of a time they were good.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:39 PM   #1957
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post

Fully agreed. We only made it once just before Covid, but it was a fun and fantastic experience.

I'm just putting this out there, and I realize I have no one but myself to blame - I dragged my feet and now it seems every reservation slot until they close is taken. If anyone here has a reservation that they can't make, I'd appreciate an opportunity to take it... I'm not sure what sort of financial hold they're asking for, but I'll gladly pay that or make whatever arrangements needed. Long shot, but thanks in advance.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:10 AM   #1958
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
When would you put their heyday?

I can’t think of a time they were good.
1985ish
Old 06-26-2021, 03:53 PM   #1959
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
Yeah, we used to go pretty much weekly for a while. They had a low corkage fee ($15 I believe), so we could have great wine in a really nice setting and some of their dishes were really good - I remember I really liked the bone marrow, the bone-in pork chop, and the tartare...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:18 PM   #1960
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Yeah, we used to go pretty much weekly for a while. They had a low corkage fee ($15 I believe), so we could have great wine in a really nice setting and some of their dishes were really good - I remember I really liked the bone marrow, the bone-in pork chop, and the tartare...
The Tapas was amazing. I remember I had been hyping it up to my parents for some time and we took them for dinner and it must have been right after the format changes and it was super disappointing.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast food sucks , local owned , support small business