Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-17-2021, 08:13 AM   #121
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
If these idiots would have played like this all season, then losses like this when they were the better team wouldn't be so crucial and painful.

Play better sooner.

MOD EDIT: Removed inappropriate language.
It’s just like their many games where they decide to play for the final five minutes and actually look good.

Play that desperate the whole time...maybe you win?
Old 04-17-2021, 08:44 AM   #122
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The salary cap - what is it?
A thing that Treliving has had trouble managing?
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:44 AM   #123
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

If the Flames signed Toffoli so many people on here would be complaining about the contract for another aging player.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2021, 08:47 AM   #124
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
If the Flames signed Toffoli so many people on here would be complaining about the contract for another aging player.
If we didn't have so much money tied up in the bottom 6, maybe we could afford to upgrade the top 6?

Not sure about you guys, but I notice a problem scoring goals.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:18 AM   #125
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I do think Tre's previous blunders in Brouwer and Neal probably made him gun-shy on Toffoli.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:18 AM   #126
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
If we didn't have so much money tied up in the bottom 6, maybe we could afford to upgrade the top 6?

Not sure about you guys, but I notice a problem scoring goals.
This is a big key to team building.

Do not overpay for depth players. Focus your spend on your top six, top four, and your top goalie.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2021, 09:26 AM   #127
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

Do not overpay for depth players. Focus your spend on your top six, top four, and your top goalie.
And have your prospects fill in your depth, along with cheap veterans.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2021, 10:06 AM   #128
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Sure but what if you pay a top 6 like Neal that turned into waiver material
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:11 AM   #129
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Interesting comments on Fan 960 after the game re a good chance Johnny wants to resign with the Flames.
Can anyone who listened to this recap what was actually said? Has Gaudreau himself actually said this or is this just radio guys postulating?

I find it very hard to believe, based on his overall effort level this season. Seems like he doesn’t want to stay at all. Last few games he’s been really good though so who knows I guess. Body language and all that though he seems like he can’t wait to get outta here and isn’t having fun whatsoever.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:18 AM   #130
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Toffoli was only 28 when he signed the deal and it is only 4 years. I don't disagree that there is risk with a UFA signing for sure, but at $4M per seems manageable.

I would say comparable to the Frolik signing but at less money (especially considering the cap when that deal was inked) and less term.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:20 AM   #131
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Can anyone who listened to this recap what was actually said? Has Gaudreau himself actually said this or is this just radio guys postulating?

I find it very hard to believe, based on his overall effort level this season. Seems like he doesn’t want to stay at all. Last few games he’s been really good though so who knows I guess. Body language and all that though he seems like he can’t wait to get outta here and isn’t having fun whatsoever.
Sutter told him if you want to get out, we have to pump you up like a balloon like I did for Bennett

Johnny to be traded in the offseason if everything works out as planned
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:21 AM   #132
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Sure but what if you pay a top 6 like Neal that turned into waiver material
Yeah, you can’t overcome bad professional scouting. The James Neal and Troy Brouwer signings are indefensible.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:59 AM   #133
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, you can’t overcome bad professional scouting. The James Neal and Troy Brouwer signings are indefensible.

I don’t know. Brouwer was the epitome of meh to me - nothing he did prior to the Flames stood out. Neal was always intriguing, from a distance at least. He put up good numbers in good teams, though his frequent moves were a red flag. Better scouting might have identified some issues but did anyone really expect to drop off so massively and be such a useless turd in year one?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:17 AM   #134
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Good to hear JG wants to re-sign. The last 4 games have convinced me - let's bring everyone back and give it another go.
Ha ha ha. No kidding. Yes they had a nice run over the last week but lets not forget what transpired this season and the season before that three coaches ago. This team is going to miss the playoffs in a weak division. It's massive failure and you would have to be crazy to even consider giving this group another chance. If the GM has this mindset the Flames are truly doomed.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2021, 11:36 AM   #135
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Body language and all that though he seems like he can’t wait to get outta here and isn’t having fun whatsoever.
I wouldn't be having fun either this season. I don't think that necessarily means he wants out. He has to know though with the way this season has turned out this could be his last season with the Flames.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:38 AM   #136
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know that Toffoli was the answer. In fact I’m confident that he wasn’t THE answer. But this is year after year of the organization not addressing their biggest need and now we’re looking at starting over.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:40 AM   #137
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

In all honesty, who on that team has looked they’re enjoying themselves this season? Lucic maybe?
Old 04-17-2021, 11:52 AM   #138
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Toffoli was only 28 when he signed the deal and it is only 4 years. I don't disagree that there is risk with a UFA signing for sure, but at $4M per seems manageable.

I would say comparable to the Frolik signing but at less money (especially considering the cap when that deal was inked) and less term.
Yeah, there's a pretty big difference in signing a 28 year old free agent vs. a 31 year old like Neal or Brouwer to a 4 year deal. With players that age, you will be lucky to get two decent years out of that contract before it sours.

Frolik is a decent comparable as he was a 28 year old and the first 4 years of that he was a very effective player for the team.

The challenge that Treliving has had is that the team he inherited had no prospect depth. So they really didn't have players who were any good to fill out some of those lower roster spots. They did have less expensive players to fill out the spots at the top of the roster. He did spend on guys like Brouwer and Ryan as luxury type bottom six players. But he really screwed himself by signing Neal. Essentially forced himself into a situation where he now has a 5.25 million dollar player with 2 more years left in the bottom 6

Still, if you took away the Stone and Brouwer buyouts he has on the books today (both of which could have been avoided by not signing Neal)...he likely could have made play for a guy like Tafoli this past summer instead of say Simon or Nordstrom even with Lucic on the roster.

But even if they have Taffoli, he would help, but I still don't think he differentiates this team from being a 12-16 in the league playoff team to being one of those top 5 type Cup Contenders. The real top end talent is lacking right now.

They played a pretty good game last night, but when you can only score one goal no matter how good you are defensively it's a game you pretty lose 95% of the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2021, 11:57 AM   #139
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ya it was Steinberg in OT saying that from what he's heard there's a good chance JG wants to re-sign. So far from admissible in a court of law.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:00 PM   #140
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
No thank you. That's what Edmonton and other losers do.

Fight. Play hard. Build a culture of hard work and the wins will come. Tanking is for babies.
Thats what they've been doing for alike 25 years. Where has it got them? This is what the owners and management have been telling people and the fans have become ok with losing seasons with hot streaks at the end of the season. Garbage most of the year, some kind of change near the end when its already too late, an uptick in production that almost guarantees a great year next year, then repeat.

This team isn't good enough. Full stop. You can close your eyes and try to will then to be better, you can blow out your birthday candles and wish for them to be better, you can throw a coin i to a wishing well, pray to whoever you want or make any kind of sacrifice...it won't matter. The team isn't good enough. This isn't a young team full of prospects who will get better with experience, its not a team full of stars that just needs one more piece, and it's not an incredibly hard working team that will soon be rewarded for their efforts.

This is a poorly built team that is just not good enough. Sure, do the same thing they've been doing for the longest time while getting the same results, that'll fix everything! If they actually want something different to happen, they need to do something different.

Everyone brings up the oilers and asks "how did tanking turn out for them??" It actually did turn out well for them, they just put a bunch of idiots in charge and they screwed everything up. The thing is, they still gave their fans hope. Oiler fans were excited and got to watch and cheer for good young players. If they weren't idiots, imagine where they'd be. Give a capable team the next 3 first overall picks and watch how good they'll be in 4-5 years. The key is to not overpay for bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing d or backups. Admit when the team isn't good enough and make changes.