Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Audio receiver recommendation

I have one now, but looking to replace.

Basic needs:
- House we bought last year has in ceiling speakers; so basic hookup
- may want to hook up to living room TV

So pretty basic use.

I'm just not sure what to get, what I really need. I'd like flexibility, but don't really want to pay for a ton of features I'll never end up utilizing.

Thanks.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Denon AVR-E400 looks like a pretty decent unit: BestBuy Link

They also have the AVR-1513 for only $249, but it doesn't do any automatic room calibration and there's no network capability. If it were me, I'd do the AVR-E400 between those two.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do you have for speakers? I'm assuming your in ceiling is either 5.1 or 5.0, but that's going to make a difference in what you're looking at too...
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
What do you have for speakers? I'm assuming your in ceiling is either 5.1 or 5.0, but that's going to make a difference in what you're looking at too...
Honestly not sure.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Denon AVR-E400 looks like a pretty decent unit: BestBuy Link

They also have the AVR-1513 for only $249, but it doesn't do any automatic room calibration and there's no network capability. If it were me, I'd do the AVR-E400 between those two.
I was actually looking at these 2 wondering if the pricier one worth it. Now I'm sold I think.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact that it is a network receiver and has AirPlay make it worth the extra money, IMO.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
HerbalMagic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm using an Integra 50.3 and love it. Been using Integra products for over 10 years now, never had an issue.

http://www.integrahometheater.com/pr...class=Receiver
HerbalMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HerbalMagic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

That looks like one beefcake of a receiver, though it's also an MSRP of ~$1,400 USD. Where can you buy those locally?
Old 05-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Just buy the comparable Onkyo: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1402409/on...-a-v-receivers

I like Onkyo's receivers, have owned a few in the past. Some say the Integra line, while containing the same components, have the "best" parts that come off the manufacturing line. My personal view is the Integra line is simply rebranding with a nicer finish.

Also, if you have in-ceiling speakers, unless you know the builder or prior owner spent a ton of money to have top end speakers installed, just buy a receiver that lists under $500. In-ceiling speakers can sound great at lower volumes, but turning the volume up often reveals their limitations.

Last edited by Kjesse; 05-06-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Which of the Best Buy Onkyos might you recommend: Link:
Old 05-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see monster cables are still horribly over priced. $40 for one meter? Wow.....
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Which of the Best Buy Onkyos might you recommend: Link:
I like Onkyo receivers, but think they are a small notch below the comparable Denon. Looks like the comparable Denon is cheaper in Canada (at best buy at least).

ie, this Onkyo is a very nice deal at $259 at American Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR414...ords=onkyo+414

But looks like it is $500 in Best Buy Canada. Personally, I like the sound of the Denon I owned better than the Onkyos I've owned, and if you want a networked receiver, I'd go with the $450 Denon.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #13
HerbalMagic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

If anyone if looking to purchase any Onkyo or Integra let me know, i'll give you a CP discount. I'm a dealer for both companies. Just a side note Onkyo and Integra come THX certified unlike Denon.
HerbalMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #14
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's some Onkyo receivers at mostly better prices than Best Buy.

http://ncix.com/products/?minorcatid=1243

I'd look at the NR 515 or the NR616.

Last edited by Vulcan; 05-07-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #15
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
I see monster cables are still horribly over priced. $40 for one meter? Wow.....
And they always will be. They know there's a market. Too many clueless consumers listening to Future Shop audio 'experts'. For the rest of us, there's Monoprice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbalMagic View Post
If anyone if looking to purchase any Onkyo or Integra let me know, i'll give you a CP discount. I'm a dealer for both companies. Just a side note Onkyo and Integra come THX certified unlike Denon.
Not to start a debate, but one really needs to evaluate if "THX Certified" is a feature they consider worth paying more for.
- Do you have THX Certified speakers? Probably not.
- Is a THX Certified installer setting up your home theatre? Probably not.
- Is your living room even properly set up to deliver optimal sound quality, regardless of THX? Probably not.
- Does THX Certification even matter? That's where the discussion deepens.

Plenty of equipment would likely pass the THX Certification with flying colours, but they haven't bothered to pay THX for the licensing. THX is really just a purchased label at this point and some extra DSP modes if you're buying a receiver.

Don't get me wrong, if you buy something that is THX Ultra2 certified, you are getting quality gear. But for the money, could you have gotten even better gear with the only difference being the lack of a THX license?

Last edited by TorqueDog; 05-08-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #16
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
And they always will be. They know there's a market. Too many clueless consumers listening to Future Shop audio 'experts'. For the rest of us, there's Monoprice.
I've been using Monoprice for years but their shipping charges are starting to get expensive. On a $130 order, not heavy of about a 12"x12" box it cost $27.55 for shipping. That wasn't the worse though, they used DHL, they gave no choice and DHL charged another $32 at my door for border processing.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #17
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

UPS does the same thing, charging for brokerage. I've never experienced that with FedEx.

That said, even with shipping and brokerage, it's hard to find a cheaper option than Monoprice that delivers to Canada.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #18
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I've been using Monoprice for years but their shipping charges are starting to get expensive. On a $130 order, not heavy of about a 12"x12" box it cost $27.55 for shipping. That wasn't the worse though, they used DHL, they gave no choice and DHL charged another $32 at my door for border processing.
Agreed. I'm very careful ordering from Monoprice these days because of their shipping. For cables I usually price-compare the total bill from them with Infinite Cables (shipped out of Ontario) and go with the cheaper.

I have nothing to add about receivers, except my totally unfounded opinion that Onkyo receivers is where quality and budget meet and have babies.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #19
Rapidfire999
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bump up.

Instead of creating a new thread I was wondering if I could get some advice on a receiver.

I get possession of my house and it has speakers through out the house (bedrooms, kitchen, living room, etc.) and I was looking for a simple receiver that would play music throughout the house. I'm not looking for really good sound as I knew I will be spending quite a bit of money, but I was looking for a receiver that would play all the speakers. What do I need to buy in order to be able to have if play in the kitchen and living room but not the bedroom?

TIA
Rapidfire999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #20
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

You don't say how many speakers you have but you're probably looking for a receiver that has 7.1 or 7.2 or even 9.2 speaker outlets and a powered Zone-2 for the bedroom.

Here's a model from last year that may work for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-1913...pd_sim_sbs_e_1

Some info on Multi-Zones

Quote:
What Multi-Zone Capability Is
Multi-Zone capability is a function in which the Receiver can send a second source signal to speakers or a separate audio system in another location. This is not the same as just connecting additional speakers and placing them in another room.
The Multi-Zone function allows a Home Theater Receiver to actually control either the same, or a separate, source than the one being listened to in the main room, to another location. For example, the user can be watching a DVD movie with surround sound in the main room, while someone else can listen to a CD player in another, at the same time. Both the DVD player and CD player are connected to the same Receiver, but are accessed and controlled separately using the same main Receiver.
http://hometheater.about.com/od/audi...tizoneinfo.htm

Maybe some others can offer more info as I haven't played around with multi-zone myself.