Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2008, 01:39 PM   #21
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:

The lil' Flames will never be a top scoring team in the AHL for two reasons:

A) The team follows the organizational philosophy of building from the net out. Unfortunately for the QC fans last year the goaltending and defense were very young and it cost the team games. The experience Pelech, Baldwin, Cole, and Keetley gained last year with serve them well this year.

B) Top-tier offensive prospects won't play for the QC anytime soon. Ryder is the only exception, but had he stuck around last year he may have been in line for a promotion this year. As it stands he will likely be in the AHL for a couple years. Backlund will be with the big club next year. Nemisz and Wahl are at least two years away. Depending on their development and the needs of the big team, they may find themselves in Calgary rather than the QC.

The first year in Omaha the team struggled to score like the QC team last year. The next season Boyd, Van der Gulik, Taratukhin, and Chucko join the team to provide depth and skill to the line up. I think you'll see a similar trend with the additions of Lundmark, Greentree, Armstrong, Carpentier, Watt, and Cracknell.
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #22
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
last night made me feel a lot better about the team.

but what worries me is that we are looking at ryder and greentree to replace scoring that was lost in kolanos and stevenson... yet even if they are able to do that, we still were 3rd to last in goals scored last year. so i do think significant offense needs to come from other places. now if chucko can be that better player all year, thats a huge step, but we managed to lose 7 of our top 10 scorers from last year.
You'll get Lundmark too. This guy has all the talent and skills, he just can't seem to make himself visible in the NHL. He's good at scoring in the AHL but he's hardworking and honest unlike Kolanos.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:54 PM   #23
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilley View Post
To add to offensive optimism, I think Armstrong will be a bigger, stronger version of Van der Gulik. He's shown some ability in junior and will add to the depth on the third line in the QC.

Quick guess at the opening forward line-up:

Greentree-Lundmark-Germyn
Chucko-Peters/Ryder-Van der Gulik
Carpentier-Ryder/Peters-Armstrong
Vandermeer-Sutter-Watt/Cracknell

Good offensive ability spread over three lines. Cracknell isn't a fourth line player; he'll either be a top 9 or back in Vegas. If Chucko can handle top 6 responsibilities I can see a lot of other options (Carpentier, Ryder).
Lundmark has played some wing in the Calgary camp and may play at wing in the AHL as well. Perhaps Armstrong will play at centre instead of Lundmark?
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:29 PM   #24
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Great insight guys. Thanks.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:37 AM   #25
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Big time thanks for the info. Not a lot of info online about the game (being preseason and all).

I know there'll be at least one Hugo Carpentier fan who will be happy to hear your opinion!
Make that 2

I think Carpentier and Armstrong will both be huge additions along with Ryder. With Lundmark, Greentree and Germayn, I don't think QC should be too far off. I do sort of wonder where Chucko will fit, any day now, he can start to take off. Hopefully.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:24 AM   #26
SparkyOne
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
last night made me feel a lot better about the team.

but what worries me is that we are looking at ryder and greentree to replace scoring that was lost in kolanos and stevenson... yet even if they are able to do that, we still were 3rd to last in goals scored last year. so i do think significant offense needs to come from other places. now if chucko can be that better player all year, thats a huge step, but we managed to lose 7 of our top 10 scorers from last year.
There will be more than just Ryder and Greentree in the end....and hopefully anyone we get will be more consistent than Kolanos was last season. He was fun to watch, but we should have been able to count on his goal scoring. Some nights, he just didn't show up or, if he did, decided to play lazy.
SparkyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #27
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyOne View Post
There will be more than just Ryder and Greentree in the end....and hopefully anyone we get will be more consistent than Kolanos was last season. He was fun to watch, but we should have been able to count on his goal scoring. Some nights, he just didn't show up or, if he did, decided to play lazy.
yeah, i was definitely leadin the kolanos hate train! couldn't stand the guy, but he put up lots of goals which are tough to replace.

i also agree that we will have several players that will hopefully add to the offensive side.

but in case i haven't said it clearly anywhere else, i have really been impressed by the team in the two preseason games! apparently i come off as really negative and depressing, so let me say again that i am really excited. i am even excited to see more of kris chucko! (pimking will be happy as he won't have to hear me yell "c'mon s-ucko" all year long!)

i have seen a lot of good effort and grit from the team so far. and if the iowa games are any indication, the guys are willing to stand up for themselves. i think its great having tremblay there to take care of any heavyweight type guys, but i was happy to see several guys still standing up for themselves and not taking any s**t!

certainly tough to get a total evaluation because of the rosters being so in flux for us and our opponents, but i have been impressed.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote