Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2017, 10:43 AM   #21
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
That's fair, as long as you feel the same way about subsidies for the O&G sector.
I don't think those subsidies are anywhere close to equal though.

I don't have much of a problem with government subsidies for positive outcomes, like job creation, R&D, bringing population in, etc. But like Locke said, they may as well be a Crown corporation.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:44 AM   #22
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
That's fair, as long as you feel the same way about subsidies for the O&G sector.

So many people in Canada seems to want BI to fail. I don't get it. As a former employee I get that they are mismanaged, it's terrible, but to see them fail would affect so many Canadians and further crush our piece of the pie.
I do, I don't think ANY private business should get any form of subsidy / loan / bailout.

Now me being the pragmatic person I am, I dont believe we will ever get to this point (unions / lobbying / ect..), so I much prefer industry wide subsidies (see O&G / logging) that provide significant benefit to economies, over subsidies to SPECIFIC companies.

But again, the most fair solution to Canadian tax payers and Canadian businesses is that no one gets a subsidy, but instead everyone gets a tax cut across the board with the money that would have otherwise gone to subsidies.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:45 AM   #23
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

So many people in Canada seems to want BI to fail. I don't get it. As a former employee I get that they are mismanaged, it's terrible, but to see them fail would affect so many Canadians and further crush our piece of the pie.
Its not about wanting Bombardier to fail, frankly it goes beyond mismanagement.

Bombardier has been on the edge of failure forever and continually cries out for government money to survive, its basically become the 10,000 pound monster that continually gets money because if it fails the backlash electionwise is huge so every government allows them to survive with very little change to how they do business.

Now they're getting pushed out of all of their markets, not just aerospace.

Lets be honest, outside of the Delta Deal the C series just isn't selling, it might be a nice plane and it is, but I would argue that its pretty much a bust as a sales product and at the end of the day you have to sell it.

I would expect that if/when Bombardier loses the dumping ruling next week it will go back to the government hat in hand for another cash infusion.

And unlike Oil and Gas companies, Bombardier is addicted to hand outs and bailouts and refuses to change their business models.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #24
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob123 View Post
Forgot to add that Boeing has in the past been caught in violation of WTO subsidy guidelines.

If anyone wants to have fun reading what the EU considers to be unfair subsidies, this document has a list of them.

Also here is the 'good news' version of subsidies. $8 billion subsidies from Washington State...

Like I said before, fata Boeing.

ETA: this sort of replies to Captain's post above. Boeing has had their scumbaggy hands in as many dirty subsidy jars as any of these other corporations. The protectionist atmosphere that's currently in the USA is definitely not helping!

Also ETA: I also see that several EU claims have been denied by the WTO. Which of course is what should happen here with Bombardier. We shall see.
And I get that, but it has nothing to do with what's currently going on here. It forms nothing in terms of the judgement against.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:55 AM   #25
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
I don't think those subsidies are anywhere close to equal though.

I don't have much of a problem with government subsidies for positive outcomes, like job creation, R&D, bringing population in, etc. But like Locke said, they may as well be a Crown corporation.
At the very least it would give the Government some say in Executive Compensation.

Considering they are so terrible as to require bailouts, their executives seem to be getting a lot of bonuses.

'Failing Business' and 'Performance Bonuses' should probably be Mutually Exclusive. But thats not the world we live in anymore and its not unique to Bombardier.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 10:55 AM   #26
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
And I get that, but it has nothing to do with what's currently going on here. It forms nothing in terms of the judgement against.
Indeed. I don't know if this will survive a WTO tribunal, sort of like all the trade disputes we've seen between Airbus and Boeing over the years.

Canada could conceivably state that the 737-MAX orders for AC and WS are detrimental to the aerospace industry due to e.g. illegal subsidies to Boeing and that would just set of an ugly trade war.

Sadly, no one wins here.

Delta won't buy more 737s; apparently Boeing offered them second-hand Embraer 190s as the alternative to the CS100.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:04 AM   #27
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Their next bailout should require this "family business" mentality at that place to go.

Enough is a enough already.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:31 AM   #28
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Okay, as much as I hate Bombardier getting subsidies, a 220% tariff on them is basically a huge "anti-subsidy" which I'm just as opposed to.

This isn't about them getting gov cash, it's about them basically not being able to do business at all. I think a lot of posters are conflating the two separate issues.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:38 AM   #29
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
Okay, as much as I hate Bombardier getting subsidies, a 220% tariff on them is basically a huge "anti-subsidy" which I'm just as opposed to.

This isn't about them getting gov cash, it's about them basically not being able to do business at all. I think a lot of posters are conflating the two separate issues.
Well, in this instance they are the same issue. If Bombardier are getting subsidies that their competitors arent the US Government is imposing a tariff to eliminate the un-fairness of that.

But yes, Bombardier basically cant do business. As in the concept of 'Business' they just cant even. They are the 'Wayans Brothers' of international aviation.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #30
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

No I think a lot of posters are saying pretty much what you're saying, there was no doubt that Bombardier was going to take a hit on this, but 220% is punitive.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:43 AM   #31
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hmmm, maybe I'm characterizing it wrong then. Did they seriously lowball the crap out of the Delta deal? My understanding was that it was market price, and the subsidies were purely just cash infusions for them to keep the lights on/an "investment" in the C-series.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:49 AM   #32
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
No I think a lot of posters are saying pretty much what you're saying, there was no doubt that Bombardier was going to take a hit on this, but 220% is punitive.
Bombardier themselves were expecting an 80% hit. What they actually deserve is probably somewhere in between 80 and 220%.

As for the subsidy issue, I think it is necessary in some cases. Major corporations/industries can't just enter and exit the market, as the costs of doing so are in the billions of dollars. This is particularly true of companies that compete in the global sector and who are likely to be replaced by foreign companies.

That being said, what separates Bombardier is that they have a dual class structure, which gives the family 60% of voting stocks. This essentially prevents the private shareholders from making changes, that you would see in a typical failing corporation (IE changes in structure and leadership). If you're running a failing business that is dependent on government aid, you should absolutely not get to retain control and profits of the business. Something has to give here, and I actually agree with the USA in that what Canada is doing is contrary to free trade. Why should a competing US company have to lower their prices to compete with a highly subsidized Canadian competitor who refuses to make any meaningful changes.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:56 AM   #33
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being just received 8.7 billion in subsidies to keep manufacturing in Washington. So this isn't an unsubsidized Boeing trying to compete.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #34
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Being just received 8.7 billion in subsidies to keep manufacturing in Washington. So this isn't an unsubsidized Boeing trying to compete.
Boeing doesn't even have any competing products in this range. This is purely a move to keep Bombarier from becoming a viable competitor in the future.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #35
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, or is this just playing a game of 'Matching Precedent' Tennis?

Back and forth.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:01 PM   #36
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
Hmmm, maybe I'm characterizing it wrong then. Did they seriously lowball the crap out of the Delta deal? My understanding was that it was market price, and the subsidies were purely just cash infusions for them to keep the lights on/an "investment" in the C-series.
They lowballed the bid.

It was way below assumed cost

https://leehamnews.com/2017/05/25/bo...ompany-claims/

Quote:
Boeing filed a complaint with the ITC and the US Department of Commerce April 27, charging that Bombardier sold the CSeries to Delta for $19.6m, a price so far below production costs that it constitutes “dumping” under legal definitions.
I read a paper that the actual estimated pricing of the C series that was sold should be between 45 and 63 million per plane.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:04 PM   #37
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bet with a little digging you'd find that Boeing lowballed a lot of their 747-800 sales too.

It just goes round and round and round.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:04 PM   #38
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Boeing doesn't even have any competing products in this range. This is purely a move to keep Bombarier from becoming a viable competitor in the future.
Except when Boeing went to United Airlines with a bid for the 737, Bombardier submitted what they classed as a ridiculously low bid on the C series jet which I would think made Boeing think that Bombardier was trying to not only poison the bid, but they wanted to compete directly with the 737 class. In effect Bombardier entered the 737 class arena and then lowballed the bid.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:05 PM   #39
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
They lowballed the bid.

It was way below assumed cost

https://leehamnews.com/2017/05/25/bo...ompany-claims/

I read a paper that the actual estimated pricing of the C series that was sold should be between 45 and 63 million per plane.
Even Bombardier admits they lowballed the bid, hence the statement stating they expected an 80% duty penalty. If the market price actually was in the 60 million range, the 220% duty penalty may not be too far off the mark.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:06 PM   #40
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
And if Bombardier wants to file a claim around that, they're probably free to. But these subsidies have nothing to do with the claim over the Delta and United bids.

those bids are around Bombardier was doing business.

I have my doubts tho that Canada would really want to get into a aerospace trade war with the States on one hand, and the Europeans on the other hand.