Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2017, 11:40 AM   #181
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
There's no way Matt Stajan is anyone's #2 centre at this point. Feels like wishful thinking because Stajan is overpaid and people want a spot open for Jankowski. I don't see any incentive for Vegas to take a $3million 4th line centre.
The reasons are obvious. Cap hit is higher than his salary which helps vegas financially in the first season reach the 60% cap threshold they need without spending the same amount in real dollars.

His salary pay out if he is dealt at the deadline will be just 550k, while his cap at the deadline will be 700k. Basically any team will find that contract flexible enough to add at the deadline should they be looking for bottom 6 centre depth. With no future salary liability, Stajan in this scenario is pure rental.

Brouwer is still owed 13.5 million. Those kind of salary liabilities matter.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #182
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There's no way Matt Stajan is anyone's #2 centre at this point. Feels like wishful thinking because Stajan is overpaid and people want a spot open for Jankowski. I don't see any incentive for Vegas to take a $3million 4th line centre.
With a team in Vegas that's almost certainly going to be somewhat thin up the middle (certainly weaker up the middle than the Flames), it's not impossible that Stajan will be more than a 4th line centre for that team.

I don't think highly of Lambert's opinions at all, and, on the surface, 2nd line centre could be a stretch, but considering it's Vegas and the weaker centre depth they probably will possess, it's not completely far fetched.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:52 AM   #183
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I have to admit the arguments are swaying me again. Part of the reason I thought Brouwer might be the most likely selection was because I thought VGK might use him as a trade chip but if he's got a full NTC then VGK would be picking him to keep him. I'm not going to completely rule that out with McPhee's history with Brouwer. I still think its possible they select Brouwer but I'm not as convinced he's the favourite.

I think the Stajan talk certainly has some merit. It's hard to know how's he viewed by VGK, a lot would depend on their scouting reports on him. But he is a good vet. He is on an expiring contract. He is getting paid less than his cap hit. Whether VGK takes him may depend on how much value they think he'd have at the deadline. We have in the past seen guys like Dominic Moore go for a 2nd. So Stajan could be worth a mid round pick for sure at the deadline.

All of Stajan, Engelland and Brouwer would be good vets for VGK. I think Shinkaruk and Kulak are longer shots to be taken as they are waiver eligible and far from guarantees to make anybody's roster next year. I don't think their waiver eligibility makes them unpickable because it is often easy to sneak players such as those through waivers right before the season but there does pose a bit of risk in taking those players.

I think you guys may have convinced me that Stajan may be the most likely to be taken.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 06-19-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 11:55 AM   #184
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I have to admit the arguments are swaying me again. Part of the reason I thought Brouwer might be the most likely selection was because I thought VGK might use him as a trade chip but if he's got a full NTC then VGK would be picking him to keep him. I'm not going to completely rule that out with McPhee's history with Brouwer. I still think its possible they select Brouwer but I'm not as convinced he's the favourite.

I think the Stajan talk certainly has some merit. It's hard to know how's he viewed by VGK, a lot would depend on their scouting reports on him.

All of Stajan, Engelland and Brouwer would be good vets for VGK. I think Shinkaruk and Kulak are longer shots to be taken as they are waiver eligible and far from guarantees to make anybody's roster next year. I don't think their waiver eligibility makes them unpickable because it is often easy to sneak players such as those through waivers right before the season but there does pose a bit of risk in taking those players.

I think you guys may have convinced me that Stajan may be the most likely to be taken.
I think this is accurate.

If the point of drafting Brouwer is to keep him for the remainder of his contract, or at least 2 years, then he is the most valuable asset Calgary has exposed.

If the goal is to accumulate further assets through trade then I think Kulak or Stajan are more likely to be picked.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 11:55 AM   #185
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I think the Stajan talk certainly has some merit. It's hard to know how's he viewed by VGK, a lot would depend on their scouting reports on him.

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't take anyone lol.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:57 AM   #186
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
That actually can't happen. They must select or sign someone from Calgary's unprotected list.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #187
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
They have to take someone.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #188
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
C'mon. You can't be that stupid. What a terrible post.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #189
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They have to take a player so it's possible they aren't really interested in anyone on the Flames list and take Shinkaruk or Kulak so they can take a look in September and waive them if they don't work out.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #190
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watch 'em sign Versteeg and forgo a selection. Haha
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #191
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know he's a below the radar guy as far as our prospects go but I really hope Vegas doesn't pull a shocker and select Emile Poirier.

I've never been secretive in here about my own sobriety (15 years) and I understand how much of an impact this can have on a persons life from a productivity standpoint. I have a feeling he is going to have a huge breakout year.

I imagine McPhee might steer clear of him anyway given the amount of temptation in Vegas but I think this kid is going to have dynamite year.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:55 PM   #192
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
The reasons are obvious. Cap hit is higher than his salary which helps vegas financially in the first season reach the 60% cap threshold they need without spending the same amount in real dollars.

His salary pay out if he is dealt at the deadline will be just 550k, while his cap at the deadline will be 700k. Basically any team will find that contract flexible enough to add at the deadline should they be looking for bottom 6 centre depth. With no future salary liability, Stajan in this scenario is pure rental.

Brouwer is still owed 13.5 million. Those kind of salary liabilities matter.
I don't see Vegas taking either Brouwer or Stajan unless we pay them to. If the Flames were to lose either of them for free, it would help the team. I don't see the upside for Vegas. They'd be better off taking one of the former 1st round picks or one of our prospect defensemen. Alex Chiasson not a bad choice either, since he's about as effective as Stajan and Brouwer at a fraction of the price.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:03 PM   #193
Fire in the disco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think one of the vets (Stajan/Brouwer) is most likely unless GM thinks one of the prospects will stick all year. I also wouldn't be surprised if they took Bouma, which I haven't heard any real discussion about
Fire in the disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:08 PM   #194
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I don't see Vegas taking either Brouwer or Stajan unless we pay them to. If the Flames were to lose either of them for free, it would help the team. I don't see the upside for Vegas. They'd be better off taking one of the former 1st round picks or one of our prospect defensemen. Alex Chiasson not a bad choice either, since he's about as effective as Stajan and Brouwer at a fraction of the price.
Again, so much of this depends on who VGK decides to select from other teams.

In a vacuum I would agree with you, but in the light of 1) the incumbency upon Las Vegas to select a player from the Flames, 2) the necessary balance they will need to strike between cap hit, position, and 3) qualification for either the AHL or NHL roster then selecting one of Brouwer or Stajan from the Flames might actually be the best option for the Knights.

I am certain that the Flames will not be sacrificing assets to persuade Vegas to select a specific player—these deals will occur only for those teams who are anxious about ensuring they keep certain available players. On the contrary I think the Flames are probably reasonably comfortable with the prospect of losing any of the players on their unprotected list, and likewise also comfortable with retaining all of the same players. All that to say that Stajan is still quite useful, and we should expect that Brouwer will be much better than he was in arguably the worst season of his professional career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:13 PM   #195
Stupid
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
C'mon. You can't be that stupid. What a terrible post.
What stupid? He's not this stupid.
Stupid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stupid For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 01:22 PM   #196
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Is there a link to the Spector segment? Or does anyone know what day/time he was on the Morning Show?
I heard the reply on Thursday night so I assume it was Thursday a.m but I don't know for sure.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #197
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFlameDog View Post
I heard the reply on Thursday night so I assume it was Thursday a.m but I don't know for sure.
I found it, thanks.

The segment is hilarious for how delusional he is and how obviously Spector has an axe to grind. He claims that he doesn't know of a single NHL GM ever who would sign a player to a long term deal and then deem him expendable the very next year. He also takes a shot at Ferland by comparing him to Juhar Khaira (what?!) and then suggests that he won't be a player that the Flames will miss. He also makes the egregious over-reach to equate exposure with expendability—by extension EVERY player on EVERY non-protected list MUST be regarded as a player whom their team does not value. That is dumb.

What an idiot. Given his interview he must be absolutely flabbergasted on this side of the Flames' protection list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 01:36 PM   #198
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
I know he's a below the radar guy as far as our prospects go but I really hope Vegas doesn't pull a shocker and select Emile Poirier.

I've never been secretive in here about my own sobriety (15 years) and I understand how much of an impact this can have on a persons life from a productivity standpoint. I have a feeling he is going to have a huge breakout year.

I imagine McPhee might steer clear of him anyway given the amount of temptation in Vegas but I think this kid is going to have dynamite year.
I'm with you. Say for Vegas it's between Shinkaruk, Poirier or Kulak, he's the one I would be most disappointed in losing. I still think he has NHL upside, could be an elite bottom sixer just due to his speed, tenacity, grit and hands.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:39 PM   #199
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It seems like more often than not, trade clauses are not difficult to get around. The player just has to agree to go to the team that wants them. It seems rare when a player absolutely refuses to go anywhere and I think they just like having the ability to control it somewhat.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:08 PM   #200
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
I'm with you. Say for Vegas it's between Shinkaruk, Poirier or Kulak, he's the one I would be most disappointed in losing. I still think he has NHL upside, could be an elite bottom sixer just due to his speed, tenacity, grit and hands.
I would be pretty shocked if Vegas gambles an expansion draft pick on a player who had a terrible season due to substance abuse issues, and aside from that has proven literally nothing at the NHL level. I know we are all pulling for Emile, but if you have a one chance shot to take a player for free from an organization, I think you go for a far surer thing.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post: