Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 07:23 AM   #6901
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Right, but I expect the Oilers are prepared to pay him 7.5 per. Not sure why they wouldn't be prepared for that.
I would suspect it is the term that would make it less desirable. A team may have no problem giving up 2 first, a 2nd and a 3rd. In that case they could give Leon a 5 year 45 million dollar deal.

For a 5 year deal, 7.5 would be on the very high end of acceptable for Chia. For a team like Montréal, Draisaitl would be a nice piece.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 07:26 AM   #6902
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oh man, you should hear the homer talk on the radio here. "the days of losing 10 in a row are long gone". "we are going to go deep in the playoffs this year".
I just shake my head and laugh.
The Following User Says Thank You to wired For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 07:49 AM   #6903
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
Oh man, you should hear the homer talk on the radio here. "the days of losing 10 in a row are long gone". "we are going to go deep in the playoffs this year".
I just shake my head and laugh.
I can't listen to local sports radio in Edm.... unless, you know, for comedy

The Following User Says Thank You to -TC- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 08:40 AM   #6904
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Double post
Old 06-25-2017, 08:40 AM   #6905
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TC- View Post
I can't listen to local sports radio in Edm.... unless, you know, for comedy
I was the same way when I originally moved up here but it's like a car wreck - I just can't turn away! They are so delusional and just spew nonsense to the sheep up here and then collect their envelopes of cash from the Oilers after the show. It's glorious, screw Howard Stern - TSN1260 is hands down the funniest thing on the radio.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:08 AM   #6906
ricoFlame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post
I was the same way when I originally moved up here but it's like a car wreck - I just can't turn away! They are so delusional and just spew nonsense to the sheep up here and then collect their envelopes of cash from the Oilers after the show. It's glorious, screw Howard Stern - TSN1260 is hands down the funniest thing on the radio.
Being dumb doesn't make it funny...check yourself.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:45 AM   #6907
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoFlame View Post
I agree, a dumb comment here or there isn't too bad but listening to Oiler fans non-stop is just frustrating. I see enough of the McCircleJerk in the media as it is, I don't need to go listen to a bunch of toothless yokels fawn over him too.

It was funny when they were bad, now it's just nauseating.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:01 AM   #6908
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Isn't Yamamoto being compared Gaudreau? I wonder how the Oiler fans are reacting to that?
Old 06-25-2017, 10:04 AM   #6909
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I remember listening to oilers sports radio after a game in the 2006-2007 season. A guy called to suggest that the oilers needed to trade Horcoff. The radio host lost his mind and started calling the guy an idiot. When the guy calling in Tried to explain himself the host called him stupid, and said Horcoff is a #1 centre, you have to be a special idiot to think we should trade him. Then he hung up. Even the media is brainwashed.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:08 AM   #6910
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
I remember listening to oilers sports radio after a game in the 2006-2007 season. A guy called to suggest that the oilers needed to trade Horcoff. The radio host lost his mind and started calling the guy an idiot. When the guy calling in Tried to explain himself the host called him stupid, and said Horcoff is a #1 centre, you have to be a special idiot to think we should trade him. Then he hung up. Even the media is brainwashed.
I wouldnt say brainwashed, more like terrified.

What was likely going through that radio host's mind at the time was:

"Ohmygod, ohmygod, ohmygod I have to get this man off the air before Kommissar Lowe hears and judges my reactions to have been insufficient and ergo treasonous leading to doubts about my loyalty to The Party..."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-25-2017, 10:18 AM   #6911
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure what I laughed more at when reading HF Oilers today:

A) would rather have Nurse over Hamilton
B) would rather have Russell over Hamonic
C) would rather have Larsson over Gio

Never change Oilers fans
Old 06-25-2017, 10:30 AM   #6912
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ So basically, they fundamentally don't understand hockey. Can we even call Oiler fans actual hockey fans anymore? It seems like they're watching a different sport than the rest of us.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:37 AM   #6913
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
^ So basically, they fundamentally don't understand hockey. Can we even call Oiler fans actual hockey fans anymore? It seems like they're watching a different sport than the rest of us.

Yeah, many fans and a few of the local propaganda pieces have been speaking of Hamonic as a "puck moving defenseman," which is something the Oilers need pretty badly, but not a label I would attach to Hamonic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 06-25-2017, 11:25 AM   #6914
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoFlame View Post
Beetlejuice, Bigfoot, Wendy and all the other wack-packers are dumb and as a result, hilarious.
I equate them to Stauffer, Gregor, Tencer, Spector etc
Old 06-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #6915
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I like Larsson, and think he's comparable to Hamonic in some ways. But every other one of the Flames top four D are superior to the rest of what Edmonton has to offer and it isn't even a question.

They're lying to themselves hard if they want to push this idea that their core is somehow better, let alone comparable lol. Gio-Hamilton were one of the best pairings in hockey last season by the stats. Both can flirt with 50 points a season. Edmonton has no 50 point d-men that can play at both ends of the ice. And with the second pairing as it is now, they would probably be the #1 and 2 in Edmonton, even with Hamonic and Brodie having one-off years.

This whole resurgence has made Oiler talk really entertaining. They're more delusional than ever. They've fully embraced last season and truly believe that that was the tip of the iceberg to what greatness their current team can achieve, despite that blue line that Talbot impressively disguised/sheltered, and the massive pay raises to come, and it's going to set them up for a lot of embarrassment and crow.

Last edited by djsFlames; 06-25-2017 at 11:42 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #6916
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I like Larsson, and think he's comparable to Hamonic in some ways. But every other one of the Flames top four D are superior to the rest of what Edmonton has to offer and it isn't even a question.

They're lying to themselves hard if they want to push this idea that their core is somehow better, let alone comparable lol. Gio-Hamilton were one of the best pairings in hockey last season by the stats. Both can flirt with 50 points a season. Edmonton has no 50 point d-men that can play at both ends of the ice. And with the second pairing as it is now, they would probably be the #1 and 2 in Edmonton, even with Hamonic and Brodie having one-off years.

This whole resurgence has made Oiler talk really entertaining. They're more delusional than ever. They've fully embraced last season and truly believe that that was the tip of the iceberg to what greatness their current team can achieve, despite that blue line that Talbot impressively disguised/sheltered, and the massive pay raises to come, and it's going to set them up for a lot of embarrassment and crow.
Hamilton being in top 10 of the Norris voting still isn't good enough to get him over Larson for Oil fans huh? I cannot wait to enjoy watching that dumpster fire of a defense next season.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:27 PM   #6917
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I can see what's going to happen

Sometime in July

1) Look at all of these rookies at rookie camp. The future looks bright, dynasty baby dynasty. We have like the best prospects in the NHL

1) Start of training camp - Here we go Oilers, this is the year, McDavid is going to score 200. Strome is going to surprise. Look at how our blueline looks, awesome. Klefbom number one elite baby

2) End of the preason - I cried when McDavid lifted the Joey Moss cup and then handed it to the Nuge, he looked awesome. Its a sign of things to come. The team is so close they looked so happy as they paraded the cup around the ice.

4) Opening night - Here we go, Run for one baby, I mean I know Draisaitl and McDavid are going to cost us 21 million buy sooooo worth it.

5) End of opening night - They lost, but we were jobbed by the refs, we were the better team, we've arrived.

6) End of opening week - Ok tough week but wait until Sekeras comes back then we're totally going to be awesome. Cam can't save everything.

7) End of opening month - Fricken Refs, Nuge's got to go, McDavid can't do it all. What's going on with Cam, normally he saves everything

8) End of December - Oh no we stink again, but the second half matters more, we're totally coming back

9) End of 2nd week of January - Frackin Draisaitl gets a huge payday and takes the season off. Nurse isn't developing at all. Why does the NHL hate the Oilers?

10) End of Jan - Well at least we'll get to evaluate our young guys. I can't believe that Russell is here for 3 more years. Come on McDavid has been good, but he has no one to work with . I can't believe that Eberle could only get us Strome, he's terrible.

11) Trade Deadline - Chia you idiot! Fire him

12) sometime in April - Hello Betty Ford clinic do you have two rooms? One for me and one for my empties

13) Frackin Oilers - Fire everyone, At least we have a high draft pick to look forward to lottery baby

14) End of season wrap up - Its a fluke season, wait until next year, vroom vroom GM McTavish is awesome and Kevin knows winning, good riddance Chia.

15) First draft meeting - Klowe - "I'm back, like a Vipa" Mact - "Here's your coffee sire, two sugars and virgins blood" whispers "I love you"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 06-25-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:56 PM   #6918
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

That was a lot of fan fiction.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 01:00 PM   #6919
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
So what you're saying is Oiler fans are the Trump voters of the NHL.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 01:10 PM   #6920
Realistic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I can see what's going to happen

Sometime in July

1) Look at all of these rookies at rookie camp. The future looks bright, dynasty baby dynasty. We have like the best prospects in the NHL

1) Start of training camp - Here we go Oilers, this is the year, McDavid is going to score 200. Strome is going to surprise. Look at how our blueline looks, awesome. Klefbom number one elite baby

2) End of the preason - I cried when McDavid lifted the Joey Moss cup and then handed it to the Nuge, he looked awesome. Its a sign of things to come. The team is so close they looked so happy as they paraded the cup around the ice.

4) Opening night - Here we go, Run for one baby, I mean I know Draisaitl and McDavid are going to cost us 21 million buy sooooo worth it.

5) End of opening night - They lost, but we were jobbed by the refs, we were the better team, we've arrived.

6) End of opening week - Ok tough week but wait until Sekeras comes back then we're totally going to be awesome. Cam can't save everything.

7) End of opening month - Fricken Refs, Nuge's got to go, McDavid can't do it all. What's going on with Cam, normally he saves everything

8) End of December - Oh no we stink again, but the second half matters more, we're totally coming back

9) End of 2nd week of January - Frackin Draisaitl gets a huge payday and takes the season off. Nurse isn't developing at all. Why does the NHL hate the Oilers?

10) End of Jan - Well at least we'll get to evaluate our young guys. I can't believe that Russell is here for 3 more years. Come on McDavid has been good, but he has no one to work with . I can't believe that Eberle could only get us Strome, he's terrible.

11) Trade Deadline - Chia you idiot! Fire him

12) sometime in April - Hello Betty Ford clinic do you have two rooms? One for me and one for my empties

13) Frackin Oilers - Fire everyone, At least we have a high draft pick to look forward to lottery baby

14) End of season wrap up - Its a fluke season, wait until next year, vroom vroom GM McTavish is awesome and Kevin knows winning, good riddance Chia.

15) First draft meeting - Klowe - "I'm back, like a Vipa" Mact - "Here's your coffee sire, two sugars and virgins blood" whispers "I love you"
3) Plan Stanley Cup Parade Route (or do we use same route we we planned and distributed to media and fans last November?)
Closed Thread