Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Travis Munroe | Realtor® & Property Manager

View Poll Results: Where do 2016 house prices finish?
Unchanged or positive growth 3 4.17%
Down 1% to 4% 11 15.28%
Down 4% to 7% 25 34.72%
Down 7% to 12% 22 30.56%
Down more than 12% 11 15.28%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2016, 06:23 PM   #1
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:
Default What happens to Calgary housing prices in 2016? V2.0

CREB Forecast has pricesdropping 3.44% with apartment style condos being hit the hardest. A thread was created for 2015's projection with 54% of people believing prices would drop more than 5% while while 42% expected prices to be down 5% or less. There were a few posters who felt 2015 was in store for a 20+% correction

Prices eventually were down less than 5% which takes us to this years CP forecast. I personally ignore forecasts as they are next to impossible to be accurate with in our market. We are all capable of coming up with our own forecast. Last years CREB forecast had a 1.5% growth estimate.

Where do we see 2016? Obviously there are so many factors and when a client or potential client asks me, I tell them that their guess is as good as mine. With that said, I predict prices dropping upwards of 7% in the first 2 quarters of 2016 with some stability coming in Q3 and Q4 to finish the year down 4.5%.

I was extremely close on my 2015 prediction initially believing a 5% decrease which I changed to 3%.

What was your prediction last year and what do you predict this year?

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 01-14-2016, 01:14 AM   #2
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Different year, same answer. Though it looks like my stabilized $75 price ain't happening. Down 4%-7%. But as a selfish renter I hope for more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
As someone currently with no equity in the housing market, next year should be a fun ride of research, driving around neighbourhoods and data crunching. So I'm biasedly hoping for a >5% decline (sorry guys).

As someone in O&G, I'm bearish. Yes, things will be ok, but we're not seeing $100 oil for a while in my opinion. I belive medium term prices will stabilize around $75 which is the supply cost for the 90-95 millionth barrel (global demand). The only thing getting us to $100 is a war or a major disruption.

The biggest losers in this price war are not the shale guys...they can ramp drilling up and down relatively quickly to respond to price. It is the major projects. The events of the last few months bring volatility and risk to their future cash flows, so any capital is going to command a higher risk premium to invest. Translation - higher breakeven oil prices...oil prices that as I said above I don't think we'll see for a while. Its the deep offshore, and most important for us, greenfield oil sands projects that will get hurt.

Thankfully there are lots of aspects to the O&G industry in this city not related to the large projects, but it is sizeable enough that I fear for the well being of the overall O&G labor pool in this province over the next few years.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:43 AM   #3
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm more bearish this year than last. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:14 AM   #4
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So what's the criteria? Comparing which month of 16 to which month of 17?
Old 01-14-2016, 12:28 PM   #5
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't think things were going to be too bad last year (I said down 1.5%) and this year I am much more pessimistic. Economically and employment wise this year should be pretty ugly. 6% to 7% decrease seems reasonable to be.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:15 PM   #6
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll go for 5%, but I'm not from Calgary so that's just a guess.

He's a random question for people that follow the Calgary Real Estate market, what you say a house like this would go for in Calgary?

http://propertyguys.com/property/index/id/82604
Old 01-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #7
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I'll go for 5%, but I'm not from Calgary so that's just a guess.

He's a random question for people that follow the Calgary Real Estate market, what you say a house like this would go for in Calgary?

http://propertyguys.com/property/index/id/82604

Impossible to say as the location of the home would swing the price close to a million. This could be a million dollar home or a 2 million dollar home depending on its location within Calgary.

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 01-16-2016, 02:09 PM   #8
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Realtor1 - I will give it to you and CREB with your 2015 predictors being a lot more accurate then many, including myself.

However, I am still bearish for 2016, more so than you or your board.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kavvy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2016, 10:35 AM   #9
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm expecting starter houses (<500k) to barely move, but (hoping) houses in the 900k range right now to drop at least 10%.

That would make my planned upgrading to a bigger, nicer house easier to afford
Old 01-18-2016, 02:14 PM   #10
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
I'm expecting starter houses (<500k) to barely move, but (hoping) houses in the 900k range right now to drop at least 10%.

That would make my planned upgrading to a bigger, nicer house easier to afford
That is very much what we are seeing right now.

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 01-18-2016, 02:30 PM   #11
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think it depends on the neighborhood what happens, some neighborhoods did see some quite drastic decreases in value. Monterey Park lost a lot of value on the city assessment and seemed to have a massive drop on list prices. (Was only looking at Monterey Park main and houses not condos). Both seemed to be down >10% in 2015 though.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #12
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, unfortunately I want to live near Sliver (Lake Bonavista or willowpark). Those doesn't seem to be dropping as much as I would hope.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:17 PM   #13
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Overall sentiment seems significantly more negative this year than last.

I guess with good reason though.

Although maybe a possible second half recovery will bring us back into the neutral range.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:33 PM   #14
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

I'm living in a place (not mine) with a for sale sign that's been in place since October 1. It's reasonable starter price and the owners have dropped it 35K (more than 10%) since then. Just waiting for it to get sold, and I'll go get my own place, but it's rough sledding.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #15
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Girlfriend and I are looking in the $500-550 range and hoping that some of the places currently in the $600-700 range fall a little bit.

The few places we've seen that we have really liked are $625-675 so if those can just fall a bit, they'll be right where we want them.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #16
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Girlfriend and I are looking in the $500-550 range and hoping that some of the places currently in the $600-700 range fall a little bit.

The few places we've seen that we have really liked are $625-675 so if those can just fall a bit, they'll be right where we want them.
Same boat, been tracking prices since Aug/Sept.
There is a definite downward trend in that price range, I'd probably say in the ~6% range (hoping for more in 2016).
There was a listing that went from 669k to 629k within a week so waiting for more of that
Old 01-27-2016, 09:28 PM   #17
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Realtor1 the cmhc is seeing strong downtrends in the market. Are you seeing the same thing? Is it only for luxury homes? Are you finding people are finding opportunities elsewhere? Are the sit on the sideline people still sitting on the sidelines?

For those sitting on the fence i think a small opportunity was missed when lending rates went up this month. I don't think the bank wants to see those kind of rates again.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...2016-1.3422069