Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2017, 03:09 PM   #341
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
Now there is an accompanying men's movement: #HowIWillChange...

https://www.boredpanda.com/howiwillc...=1&_f=trending

Great to see but I still do not put much weight behind people saying what they are going to do on twitter or any other form of social media. It's way too easy for people to say they're going to do something through a smart phone or computer screen. I render these hashtag campaigns relatively useless when the rubber meets the road.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:19 PM   #342
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Great to see but I still do not put much weight behind people saying what they are going to do on twitter or any other form of social media. It's way too easy for people to say they're going to do something through a smart phone or computer screen. I render these hashtag campaigns relatively useless when the rubber meets the road.
Relative to what?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:28 PM   #343
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Relative to what?
Social media campaigns like these are slightly more progressive than than doing nothing at all. Rarely is there a follow up of any kind a month or two down the road because they take about 2 seconds of real effort from a person to contribute. Sadly, unless you're having these conversations in a direct and face to face fashion there is little accountability to anyone to actually follow through and I'd wager less than 10% actually will the next time the have the chance to make good on it.

I guess that would be an improvement either way but men griping about change on twitter doesn't really instill any confidence in real change for me.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:41 PM   #344
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Social media campaigns like these are slightly more progressive than than doing nothing at all. Rarely is there a follow up of any kind a month or two down the road because they take about 2 seconds of real effort from a person to contribute. Sadly, unless you're having these conversations in a direct and face to face fashion there is little accountability to anyone to actually follow through and I'd wager less than 10% actually will the next time the have the chance to make good on it.

I guess that would be an improvement either way but men griping about change on twitter doesn't really instill any confidence in real change for me.
Of the people that believe they can make a change/learn about issue, roughly 35% of them actually make a change.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/hashtag...ful-pointless/

Change is tough to come by, especially change of habit, so 35 of every 100 men who say they’re going to be better actually doing it seems like a pretty good win. It’s not 100%, it’s not even half, but hashtag campaigns aren’t ineffective.

Face-to-face interactions and actual confrontations with the need for change would likely yield higher results, but the speed and reach of hashtag campaigns make them one of the best methods for encouraging social change. The numbers for campaigns that need financial contributions aren’t good, but things like raising awareness and encouraging a change of attitude or action are usually successful.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:02 PM   #345
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I don't buy 35%, or close. Not even from the article. Not sure where I missed that. I read stuff like this

UNICEF statement. Liking us on Facebook helps us vaccinate zero children against polio.
Or
'Of the people who supported the cause on Facebook, only 0.24% donated money.'
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:12 PM   #346
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

The survey in the article states 70% of respondents said they were likely to learn about/enact change, while 25% percent actually had in he past year (so 35% of those who actually said they’d learn about/enact change)

As I said, the numbers drop quite a bit when a financial component is involved, but you’ve also only singled out one event. The Ice Bucket Challenge, for example, brought in roughly $155m, which more than quadrupled the previous record for single year donations.

Hashtag campaigns work best on awareness of the existence or prevalence of an issue, but it’s value outside of that ranges. So for this situation, I think it’s probably the absolute best and most feasible method.