Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2020, 09:34 AM   #1981
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched Spike Lee's classic Do the Right Thing last night. I hadn't seen it in forever, and holy smokes, does it ever hold up. Just as relevant now as it was in 1989, sadly.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2020, 09:39 AM   #1982
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Watched Spike Lee's classic Do the Right Thing last night. I hadn't seen it in forever, and holy smokes, does it ever hold up. Just as relevant now as it was in 1989, sadly.
A great Joint.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:46 AM   #1983
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Saw The Lighthouse the other day.
If you're thinking you're getting an Ari Aster-type of horror movie, you're gonna have a bad time.

It's straight up art-house weird. It's pretty much a psychological drama with a horror aesthetic. There's really no actual horror elements.

Robert Pattinson, shockingly, with movies like Good Time and High Life (meh) is becoming legit. Willem Dafoe is always great.
Visually, this movie is amazing and I can't imagine the nightmare it was to film.

Overall, a real WTF out of 5.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2020, 10:52 AM   #1984
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
If you're thinking you're getting an Ari Aster-type of horror movie, you're gonna have a bad time.

It's straight up art-house weird. It's pretty much a psychological drama with a horror aesthetic. There's really no actual horror elements.

Robert Pattinson, shockingly, with movies like Good Time and High Life (meh) is becoming legit. Willem Dafoe is always great.
Visually, this movie is amazing and I can't imagine the nightmare it was to film.

Ha, a great way to rate it. I wasn't sure I liked it while I watched it but I couldn't look away. In the end I liked it. Great acting for sure.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2020, 12:02 PM   #1985
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm glad I watched it but to this day I don't know if I liked it or not as the performances were great but I'm not sure what they were saying half the time (Dafoe in particular) nor do I get what was the point of the movie. I have a soft spot for weird, artsy movies though.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2020, 01:00 PM   #1986
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm glad I watched it but to this day I don't know if I liked it or not as the performances were great but I'm not sure what they were saying half the time (Dafoe in particular) nor do I get what was the point of the movie. I have a soft spot for weird, artsy movies though.
I agree. I'll give plenty of leeway for films that try to create something new. Personally, I think they failed to do something entertaining but at the same time I hope that line of thinking doesn't stop these types of movies from being made.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:50 PM   #1987
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got around to watching the Lance Armstrong 30 for 30, and wow, I'm shocked he seemed to come clean from his heyday and the bad things he did. While there's definitely an outwardly defiance from the guy, he really spilled his soul and appeared to lose everything. Anyway, I'd put this documentary way ahead of the recent Jordan one in that it told an intelligent linear story.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2020, 08:47 PM   #1988
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post

Great movie. So damn weird. You gotta be in the mood but damn I liked it.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 11:43 AM   #1989
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I got a real 'Kids in the Hall' vibe from watching The Lighthouse trailer.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:15 PM   #1990
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was great. Super weird, but still I really enjoyed it.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:11 PM   #1991
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I got around to watching the Lance Armstrong 30 for 30, and wow, I'm shocked he seemed to come clean from his heyday and the bad things he did. While there's definitely an outwardly defiance from the guy, he really spilled his soul and appeared to lose everything. Anyway, I'd put this documentary way ahead of the recent Jordan one in that it told an intelligent linear story.
He should be defiant, if he'd been French no one would have cared about him, he got screwed pure and simple, every one else in the sport has been left alone, no one castigates Indurin or Mercx and they both doped, Armstrong has just become the scapegoat for a whole sport.
The thing I find interesting is he still protects the sport frankly, what he should say is 'this is how cycling was done when I started, I didn't do anything that the sport didn't condone one way or the other and the only reason anyone cared in the end is because the puritanical yanks started to take notice because I was American'

Last edited by afc wimbledon; 06-11-2020 at 01:14 PM.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 01:17 PM   #1992
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's a jackass. #### Lance.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 01:18 PM   #1993
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
He's a jackass. #### Lance.
Cyclists.

Untrustworthy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 01:22 PM   #1994
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Great movie. So damn weird. You gotta be in the mood but damn I liked it.
On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, I also watched that 90's kids movie Beethoven with my six-year-old.

Why?
Because apparently the credited screenwriter Edmonton Dantes was a pseudonym for the amazing John Hughes (!).

It also has a pretty stacked cast with Charles Grodin, Stanley "character actor GOAT" Tucci, Oliver "character actor GOAT runner up" Platt, David Duchovny, Bonnie "need a mom for a movie?" Hunt, and Patricia Heaton.

I don't know why John Hughes agreed to write this. I don't know why it didn't help. But it definitely was not a suitable palette cleanser for The Lighthouse. Boo this movie.

Last edited by sketchyt; 06-11-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:26 PM   #1995
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn, I miss John Hughes and John Candy. Can only imagine the work they could have done.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #1996
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
He should be defiant, if he'd been French no one would have cared about him, he got screwed pure and simple, every one else in the sport has been left alone, no one castigates Indurin or Mercx and they both doped, Armstrong has just become the scapegoat for a whole sport.
The thing I find interesting is he still protects the sport frankly, what he should say is 'this is how cycling was done when I started, I didn't do anything that the sport didn't condone one way or the other and the only reason anyone cared in the end is because the puritanical yanks started to take notice because I was American'
Don't forget he sued the living crap out of, and won, against people who (rightfully) accused him of cheating. He wasn't exactly being all "aww shucks they're pickin on me". Not sure there's a violin small enough to play his sad sad song.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:54 PM   #1997
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post

The thing about Lance was he sued others and didn't give a damn about them at the time. Now, being reporters, frankly I don't care, but it's not like they make a killing reporting on things, so he took some away from them. I do get swayed by people's arguments, and I do think now after seeing this, that he probably paid too high a price, but signs pointed to him being a vindictive jerk and that came around full circle. Now, the fact that he spilled his guts and admitted to everything certainly changes my perception of him (quite dramatically), as that took a lot to be that completely truthful. With reference to the argument that he shouldn't be punished because the others didn't, I'm not fully buying that. He gained probably more than those other guys with his crazy endorsements, so while he did lose more than them, he gained more than them too. Sometimes you need the biggest to fall to prove a point. We could make the same argument about McGuire, Bonds, Sosa, and Clemens in the steroid era in baseball. The fact that they were jerks makes it easy to digest. They were the scapegoats because they loved the attention rather than benefiting quietly. These are sociopaths and sometimes those are the perfect people to make an example of. Lance coming out and being almost entirely transparent is a rare example of an enormous ego being crushed, and the documentary did a great job.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:10 AM   #1998
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Apparently the new Artemis Fowl movie is "impressively terrible," which only wants to make me see it even more. It's been released straight to Disney+, which says a lot.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:12 AM   #1999
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
The thing about Lance was he sued others and didn't give a damn about them at the time. Now, being reporters, frankly I don't care, but it's not like they make a killing reporting on things, so he took some away from them. I do get swayed by people's arguments, and I do think now after seeing this, that he probably paid too high a price, but signs pointed to him being a vindictive jerk and that came around full circle. Now, the fact that he spilled his guts and admitted to everything certainly changes my perception of him (quite dramatically), as that took a lot to be that completely truthful. With reference to the argument that he shouldn't be punished because the others didn't, I'm not fully buying that. He gained probably more than those other guys with his crazy endorsements, so while he did lose more than them, he gained more than them too. Sometimes you need the biggest to fall to prove a point. We could make the same argument about McGuire, Bonds, Sosa, and Clemens in the steroid era in baseball. The fact that they were jerks makes it easy to digest. They were the scapegoats because they loved the attention rather than benefiting quietly. These are sociopaths and sometimes those are the perfect people to make an example of. Lance coming out and being almost entirely transparent is a rare example of an enormous ego being crushed, and the documentary did a great job.
I think the difference between Lance and the baseball guys is not everyone in baseball was cheating.

The part of the Doc where he is listing guys from different countries where they cheated but 1 would still be working with no problems and another was a pariah, was a great segment I thought.

I really enjoyed the Doc.

Now this weekends 30 for 30 is going to be awesome too..'Long Gone Summer' about Sosa and McGuire and that era.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 09:41 AM   #2000
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the difference between Lance and the baseball guys is the vindictiveness.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote