Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2020, 10:36 AM   #1
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Blood Glucose Monitor...

Wasn't sure if this should go in Food / Entertainment or tech...

I need to purchase a Blood Glucose Monitor.

Probably one of those lance your finger and put it on strip thingy's...

What do you use (if you do...) and where did you get it ??

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:56 AM   #2
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any Pharmacy carries them, and they’ll likely give you the meter for free...

If you get your test strips and lancets there
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depending on how often you need to use it and what your benefit coverage might be, may I suggest the FreeStyle Libre? I have a few relatives that have recently switched to this system and they rave about it.

Essentially, you stick a sensor on your outside bicep and scan it using a monitor or your smartphone. The sensor needs to be replaced every so often (I think 2 weeks), but that's about it. No constantly lancing your fingers and playing with test strips.

The major drawback is that it may be cost prohibitive. They are available at any major pharmacy.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 02:57 PM   #4
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Depending on how often you need to use it and what your benefit coverage might be, may I suggest the FreeStyle Libre? I have a few relatives that have recently switched to this system and they rave about it.

Essentially, you stick a sensor on your outside bicep and scan it using a monitor or your smartphone. The sensor needs to be replaced every so often (I think 2 weeks), but that's about it. No constantly lancing your fingers and playing with test strips.

The major drawback is that it may be cost prohibitive. They are available at any major pharmacy.

Nice idea...but its preventative right now and not required on a regular basis.

In jut started on a prescription of metformin (sp ?) and my doctor suggest I get one to occasionally test my blood sugars as well.

2 - 3 time a week maybe.

Whats this about a free tester if you buy your strips there ???
Old 01-30-2020, 11:30 PM   #5
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Most places the meter will be free with the first set of test strips. And many (most?) work drug plans should cover it all.

Ask the pharmacist which strip takes the least amount of blood, my wife had gestational diabetes and there was quite a bit of difference between brands on how much blood they required. I think she liked the Accu-Check and Freestyle brands, and hated one that seemed like it failed half the time even with a seemingly huge amount but I can't remember which that one was.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:21 AM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

definitely check with your work benefits carrier to see if they will cover the costs. That will help your decision as well.

The sensor version would be my preference, but I hate stabbing myself with needles.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:48 AM   #7
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I use accu check I got it for free when I was in the hospital, luckily the strips are covered by my insurance as they are fairly expensive basically 1.00 per strip. It works well though.Warning on the metformin ( I am on that as well) when you first go on it do not trust a fart...lol
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Potato Standing By For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 03:04 PM   #8
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

My monitor is not free but my benefits cover 90% of the costs. As for the strip and lance's, those are 100% covered.

So check with your benefits. The pharmacy can tell you what your benefits will cover too when you pick one up. Did you get a prescription? Your doctor should have prescribed it.

This is what I use: https://www.onetouch.ca/products/glu...touch-verio-iq

I would consider the Free Libre one, but I'm not so sure about having the device stuck to my bicep all the time. Would bother me when I play hockey. Even though I am diabetic I don't have to test very often because I do a decent job of eating properly and exercising regularly... Well, I was. I should test more often again.

Initially I was testing 3 times per day. The numbers became predictable and my doctor advised to do it once per day, rotating the time of day. Then he retired and my new doctor, who was also diabetic, told me that I'm doing such a good job that I don't need to keep testing all the time, maybe a couple times per week would do. Well, I've been doing it once a month lately... Not good enough.

Last edited by Buff; 01-31-2020 at 03:07 PM.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:07 PM   #9
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
My monitor is not free but my benefits cover 90% of the costs. As for the strip and lance's, those are 100% covered.

So check with your benefits. The pharmacy can tell you what your benefits will cover too when you pick one up. Did you get a prescription? Your doctor should have prescribed it.

This is what I use: https://www.onetouch.ca/products/glu...touch-verio-iq

I would consider the Free Libre one, but I'm not so sure about having the device stuck to my bicep all the time. Would bother me when I play hockey. Even though I am diabetic I don't have to test very often because I do a decent job of eating properly and exercising regularly... Well, I was. I should test more often again.

Initially I was testing 3 times per day. The numbers became predictable and my doctor advised to do it once per day, rotating the time of day. Then he retired and my new doctor, who was also diabetic, told me that I'm doing such a good job that I don't need to keep testing all the time, maybe a couple times per week would do. Well, I've been doing it once a month lately... Not good enough.
My plan does not cover the Libre one but It was great for the few months I used it. The probes are expensive and only last 2 weeks. My plan would cover it if I was on insulin but other wise no.

I didn't notice it when I played sports and the ease to test was awesome but for 240/month it become to costly and now I use the old school needle and strips.

I also use the monitor that you use and it is fine.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mccree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 05:22 PM   #10
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks all for the info.

I'm self employed but do carry a Blue Cross plan for my family and I.

I'll check with Coop as to what they have and options...
Old 02-03-2020, 09:04 AM   #11
JohnnyBeGood
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I got the Contour Next for free from a diabetic clinic - this seems to work pretty well, is accurate, does not need much blood, strips are about $90 for 100. I was pre-diabetic and then T2 diabetic for a number of years, eventually taking 5 Metformin plus another blood sugar drug (Diamicron)... struggling to achieve any weight loss or improvement in blood sugar numbers.

BUT I would highly recommend the Freestyle Libre - this was a very useful tool for me and (with Doctor's supervision) I was able to get my blood sugars right down and now do not take any metformin at all. I am actually looking fwd to getting my A1C tested this week and I hope to score somewhere below 6.0% - e.g. 'normal' - after 3 months drug-and-metformin-free.

The FS Libre allows you to see a continuous graph of what is going on as far as your blood sugar levels go. After a short while you much prefer to scan your arm rather than squeeze out more blood for the old-school meters!

So - not knowing what your situation is - I would say that if you have a diagnosis of T2 diabetes then grab that thing and kick it into remission as soon as possible! FS Libre is useful to help do that. The major step for me was to count and restrict carbs (and overall calories) by taking control of my food intake.

FS Libre is expensive, but diabetes can have so many bad consequences... please feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Last edited by JohnnyBeGood; 02-03-2020 at 11:11 AM.
JohnnyBeGood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyBeGood For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2020, 11:04 AM   #12
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

My grandson is Type 1 and has a Dexcom. He had a Freestyle Libre before he got his insulin pump and it was much less stressful for him than finger pokes. The doctor wanted him to have the Dexcom when he got his pump. so he always has two things stuck to his body somewhere, he hates it
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2020, 10:57 PM   #13
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBeGood View Post
I got the Contour Next for free from a diabetic clinic - this seems to work pretty well, is accurate, does not need much blood, strips are about $90 for 100. I was pre-diabetic and then T2 diabetic for a number of years, eventually taking 5 Metformin plus another blood sugar drug (Diamicron)... struggling to achieve any weight loss or improvement in blood sugar numbers.

BUT I would highly recommend the Freestyle Libre - this was a very useful tool for me and (with Doctor's supervision) I was able to get my blood sugars right down and now do not take any metformin at all. I am actually looking fwd to getting my A1C tested this week and I hope to score somewhere below 6.0% - e.g. 'normal' - after 3 months drug-and-metformin-free.

The FS Libre allows you to see a continuous graph of what is going on as far as your blood sugar levels go. After a short while you much prefer to scan your arm rather than squeeze out more blood for the old-school meters!

So - not knowing what your situation is - I would say that if you have a diagnosis of T2 diabetes then grab that thing and kick it into remission as soon as possible! FS Libre is useful to help do that. The major step for me was to count and restrict carbs (and overall calories) by taking control of my food intake.

FS Libre is expensive, but diabetes can have so many bad consequences... please feel free to PM me if you want more info.
Congrats on your success thus far. I wish you the best as you keep going.

I feel like I should be in your shoes too but I have terrible self control. I was able to do it for a while but I let poor food choices sink back in.

How did you stay motivated?
Old 02-04-2020, 09:47 AM   #14
JohnnyBeGood
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Congrats on your success thus far. I wish you the best as you keep going.

I feel like I should be in your shoes too but I have terrible self control. I was able to do it for a while but I let poor food choices sink back in.

How did you stay motivated?
Thanks!

For me, the key was moving onto a 'Low Carb Healthy Fat' diet: e.g. Ketogenic. Within the first couple of days of consuming less than 20g carbs/day I could see much improved blood sugar numbers. I am doing 'clean' keto, e.g. counting carbs, keeping to macros, no processed foods and pretty much all carbs come from veggies.

Underlying that shift needed to be a change in how I looked at food: I think I now see it more as building blocks for health and not so much as something to reach for when I feel that I need comforting. But my diet now has lots of tasty things that leave me feeling satisfied and full till the next eating time... (I have even managed some intermittent fasting which I would have never thought was possible ).

The results are a big motivation! (see more info in the Keto Diet thread: https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=177816 )
JohnnyBeGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:38 AM   #15
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBeGood View Post
Thanks!

For me, the key was moving onto a 'Low Carb Healthy Fat' diet: e.g. Ketogenic. Within the first couple of days of consuming less than 20g carbs/day I could see much improved blood sugar numbers. I am doing 'clean' keto, e.g. counting carbs, keeping to macros, no processed foods and pretty much all carbs come from veggies.

Underlying that shift needed to be a change in how I looked at food: I think I now see it more as building blocks for health and not so much as something to reach for when I feel that I need comforting. But my diet now has lots of tasty things that leave me feeling satisfied and full till the next eating time... (I have even managed some intermittent fasting which I would have never thought was possible ).

The results are a big motivation! (see more info in the Keto Diet thread: https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=177816 )
Hmm. I definitely worried about doing a Keto diet as a diabetic and how it would affect me but it wasn't as big a concern as trying intermittent fasting. I'm going to have to come up with a plan and stick to it.

I also have to learn to tell family to shut up. I try to eat healthy and I get "C'mon, you can live a little, it's not a death sentence you can treat yourself every now and then". I need to learn to say "I did live a little and now I have this disease and if I keep living a little it will be a death sentence".

It was also very easy for me to manage in the beginning so I started to "live a little" again and it got back to a point where I need to make changes again. My diet is nowhere near as bad as it once was, but I have too many treats or cheat days again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post: