Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-11-2018, 11:14 AM   #1
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Star Trek General Discussion

We have a separate Discovery thread, but with the franchise seemingly starting to branch out into several series and lots to talk about, I think a lot of good potential discussion is getting missed in there by people who aren't interested in that show. We can use this as a catch-all thread for news, discussion on old episodes/movies, really whatever you want. There's a lot of big fans here so I'm sure we'll see some solid topics come up!

I don't have much to lead with, other than one of my favorite TNG episodes 'Tapestry' was on TV the other day. What a great watch. Snappy dialogue with Q (as usual), great storyline that really gets you thinking. Just solid science fiction! The first time I saw it I was actually in a pretty tough place emotionally and it got me thinking about my past and past regrets and helped me to start moving on from a fairly dark place.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:12 PM   #3
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I bet Denise Crosby wakes up every morning, looks in the mirror and throws a coffee cup against the wall for her decision to leave the show.

I will give her credit the two documentaries that she did on Trek fans were pretty good.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:14 PM   #5
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just because she's so damn funny

Old 09-11-2018, 12:40 PM   #6
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I've been watching the whole show, well most of it, seasons 3-7. I think I've done it once before when it first got added to netflix a number of years ago. Loved seasons 3-6 but I was surprised how weak S7 was except a couple of episodes and the finale. Seemed like they ran out of ideas. Most episodes didn't seem to feature weird new aliens, it was all these lame one offs like resettling Native American Indians in Cardassian space or Lt Barclay being given a flu shot that somehow resulted in the entire crew de-evolving or Worf's son traveling back in time to warn Worf. Ugh, all three of those were just terrible episodes. Or how about the lame when when Diana thinks there's a murderer aboard and it turns out it was just that memories were stuck in the phase energy in the nacelles and it somehow manifested itself as flashbacks.

I think I might watch DS9 again but it has only been about a year or two since I binged that from start to finish. Maybe I'll hold off a bit.

I liked Ensign Ro. Too bad she only featured for about a season. She was a nice foil to all the straight laced main cast.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:44 PM   #7
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I started a Star Trek (re)watch about two years ago. Watched most of TOS with my kids - I'd of course seen them all multiple times before. Kids loved it.

Moved on to TNG, which I only saw about a quarter of in its original run. Used some rewatch guides to avoid the duds, and watched about 60 per cent of the episodes. Kids dropped out as they didn't find it as dramatic or the characters engaging as TOS. I was impressed with the better episodes from seasons 3-6. The writing, the direction, even the score were top-notch TV.

Then I moved on to DS9, which I hadn't watched at all before. Call me superficial, but going from the HD of the remastered TNG to the SD of DS9 is a let-down. I'm not a huge Avery Brooks fan, but I can tolerate him. However, Nana Visitor just grates on me. I can't watch her without thinking about how much better the first choice, Michelle Forbes, would have been in the role. Still, I'm on season 4 and enjoying the political intrigue.

I may have to take a break, though, as I've watched a crap-load of Star Trek in the last two years. Suppose I'll do a highly-selective watch of Voyager and Enterprise at some point.

Can't stand Discovery.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #8
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Oh man, I never knew that. Ro as the Bajoran instead of Kira would have been a million times better.

Forgot DS9 isn't remastered. Despite still being 4:3, TNG looked really good.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #9
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Obligatory Honest Trailer for TNG.

My favourite episodes of the series were Darmok and Relics, where Scotty makes a cameo. Except that LaForge was a huge dick the whole episode. I also really like the episode with Hugh the Borg. I always found myself questioning what I would do in Picard's place. I still don't know, but it's a really great moral dilemma.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #10
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

One of my favorite episodes was when they featured these young officers, one had been involved in the scandal at the academy involving Wesley where a crew mate died. One was the guy who thought that he couldn't do anything right, and there were two others including one of the bartender.

But the main premise of the story line was getting noticed, and the girl was being treated harshly by the crew because of her past, and Worf was pretty much the only one who was trying to help her.

Later in the episode we found out that they were hard on her because they were grooming her for a mission to smuggle a cardassian across the border. She was caught and killed. But the episode was so touching and it was one of the best episodes that they ever did,

It was called Lower Decks.

They had one pretty funny scene where the one officer tries to suck up to Riker and mentioning that he was Canadian too, Rike scowls and tells him he's from Alaska

Except for Worf, he still sucked.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:04 PM   #11
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Oh man, I never knew that. Ro as the Bajoran instead of Kira would have been a million times better.
Ha-ha, now you won't be able to get it out of your head. The original idea was to have Ro as the Bajoran an DS9. The producers offered her the role outright, but Forbes passed it up to try a career in the movies. She would have added so much intensity and steel to the role. Visitor isn't a bad actress, but she comes across more like a feisty member of a condo board you wouldn't want to tangle with than a former guerilla in a violent insurgency.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #12
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Loved her mirror universe Kira though.

That whole storyline where she was carrying O'brien's two headed love child was annoying though.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #13
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
My favourite episodes of the series were Darmok and Relics, where Scotty makes a cameo.
That episode pre-dates the internet as we know it, but I seem to recall something back then that the reason for the Relics episode was that James Doohan was going to play the role that O'Brien eventually got on DS9 as the chief engineer. I can't find anything to support that now. Does anybody else recall that?

Now hearing about Ro, makes me wonder what DS9 would have been like with her and Scotty in those roles together.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #14
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

That would have been great. O'Brien was always a weak character IMO. I didn't really like him on TNG either.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #15
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
That episode pre-dates the internet as we know it, but I seem to recall something back then that the reason for the Relics episode was that James Doohan was going to play the role that O'Brien eventually got on DS9 as the chief engineer. I can't find anything to support that now. Does anybody else recall that?

Now hearing about Ro, makes me wonder what DS9 would have been like with her and Scotty in those roles together.
I dont recall that specifically, but a belligerent drunken Scotty would have brought some realism to TNG.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #16
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

How long would have Scotty lasted. "What do you mean this isn't real alcohol?, all of you bastards are getting beamed into space"

Old 09-11-2018, 03:28 PM   #17
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I've been watching the whole show, well most of it, seasons 3-7. I think I've done it once before when it first got added to netflix a number of years ago. Loved seasons 3-6 but I was surprised how weak S7 was except a couple of episodes and the finale. Seemed like they ran out of ideas. Most episodes didn't seem to feature weird new aliens, it was all these lame one offs like resettling Native American Indians in Cardassian space or Lt Barclay being given a flu shot that somehow resulted in the entire crew de-evolving or Worf's son traveling back in time to warn Worf. Ugh, all three of those were just terrible episodes. Or how about the lame when when Diana thinks there's a murderer aboard and it turns out it was just that memories were stuck in the phase energy in the nacelles and it somehow manifested itself as flashbacks.

I think I might watch DS9 again but it has only been about a year or two since I binged that from start to finish. Maybe I'll hold off a bit.

I liked Ensign Ro. Too bad she only featured for about a season. She was a nice foil to all the straight laced main cast.
Or the episode where they prove warp drive is harming space, so they put a speed limit on all the ships. It is never mentioned again.

And you didn't mention Sub Rosa, maybe the worst TNG episode of them all! Where Crusher has sex with the ghost of her dead Grandma's lover. Yeah, season 7 had some real stinkers.

They brought Ro in the novels to replace Odo as chief of security, then kind of ruined her by having her fall in love with Quark.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #18
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Oh yes! I was gonna mention that stupid Crusher episode and forgot. With the candle and the scottish guy was some weird life force or something.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:50 PM   #19
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone hasn't listened to it, there is a great podcast called "The Greatest Generation".

It's basically just two dudes rewatching TNG and reviewing/riffing on the episodes.
They are completely done TNG and have moved on to DS9, and it is totally worth a listen starting from the beginning, partly for a bit of nostalgia for the show itself, and partly because the show is hilarious.

Seriously give it a listen.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #20
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Another great podcast is Star Trek The Next Conversation with Matt Mira (from Nerdist, After Trek, etc) and Andrew Secunda (EP on Goldbergs). Mira has watched all the episodes and Secunda has only seen a couple. It's fun listening to someone's perspective watching it for the first time. They just finished season 3 so they've just gotten into the good episodes and are watching Best of Both Worlds Part 2 next.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote