Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #1
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Lawyer familiar with Canmore Bylaws

Hello,

We are looking at purchasing a part time vacation SFH (not condo) / part time airbnb rental in Canmore to help cover the costs (we are thinking maybe 45 rental days a year). While trying to figure things out, we came across a Canmore bylaw forbidding airbnb rentals outside of a specific small zone downtown.

We contacted the town and they confirmed the bylaw and the different fines that go along with it. They allow long term rentals but not short term rentals outside of a specific small area that basically only encompasses downtown and the two roads that parallel the train tracks. In the zone they allow the short term rentals with an additional property tax hit but we aren't looking for city feel but rather a more quiet home. We would be fine paying the extra property tax but its not even a consideration for tahe planning department.

I have never dealt with a City in terms of zoning and was wondering if anyone knows any lawyers who have dealt with this type of issue in the past. We are looking to get an educated opinion on how or if its even possible to "fight" this.

I found a few people online with airbnb rentals in camore outside the zone who have gotten take down letters from the town. They simply take down the add and repost with different pictures. We are not interested in that kind of hassle and possible future legal troubles and would purchase elsewhere if we couldn't find a solution.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:32 PM   #2
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a lawyer but coming at this from another angle I know a lot about city bylaws. They can create any bylaws they want as long as they don't infringe on people's rights, and I don't think this does. You won't win this. Message me if you want.

Tags
airbnb , bylaw , canmore , lawyer , vacation rental