Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2017, 06:15 AM   #141
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The overhead line is currently 100A. So It needs to go to 200A, which means it needs new lines from the pole, which is Enmax territory. I'm pretty sure electricians aren't allowed to tap in new lines. I also need a 200A meter, as the 100A one will go explodey if you use it. And those only come from Enmax as well. Your electrician was probably able to use the same line from the pole, and use the same meter.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #142
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The overhead line is currently 100A. So It needs to go to 200A, which means it needs new lines from the pole, which is Enmax territory. I'm pretty sure electricians aren't allowed to tap in new lines. I also need a 200A meter, as the 100A one will go explodey if you use it. And those only come from Enmax as well. Your electrician was probably able to use the same line from the pole, and use the same meter.
Fuzz - check your PMs
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:42 AM   #143
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trusses went up yesterday, with bit of cursing. Due tot he idiots not putting them where I asked, they ended up getting a little twisted, or they were twisted to begin with. Either way it took some work to get ti all straightened out. We still have a bunch of blocking to cut, and sheeting so I'm a little behind where I thought we would be. Hip roofs are more work! I guess Rona also decided not to include and 2x4's for truss blocking, despite me asking several times "is there anything else not included that I might need?" So ya, another trip to Rona this morning.

I really hope we get get it sheeted and shingled today, but we will see. Long way to go.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 06:55 PM   #144
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

How did it work to put sheathing on, was there any trouble where the two slopes meet since there is no jack rafter or did you need to add blocking there after these photos were taken?
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:10 PM   #145
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh man, so much work! They don't provide any blocking, so we had to make the hip line. That's a PITA because half of them are bevelled compound mitters, and the other half are just compound mitters. And none are exactly the same size. A lot more work than I expected on fiddly stuff. And all the sheeting has to be cut at angles. Not complicated, but it takes awhile. So at the end of today the roof is done. Need to add all the flashing and fascia, then shingles. Hope to get the doors and window on next weekend to seal her up.

Really happy to have an experienced carpenter here, or this would have taken a lot longer, and I probably would have cried more.

Last edited by Fuzz; 08-27-2017 at 08:17 PM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2017, 07:02 AM   #146
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dare say, it looks like a garage now! Big push this weekend, put the window in Thursday night. That was a pain because the Rona guy decided I didn't want a flange, so a 20 minute job turned into a 2 hour job. Friday I prepped the roof by installing drip edge and eave protection membrane.

Saturday 4 of us worked a full day in the sweltering heat to get the shingles on. Holy hell there is a job I'd never want. Yesterday I put the big door in. For some reason they included an entire extra door panel, it looks like it was on the bottom of the stack as protection or something, as it is damaged and incomplete...so I've got this 18 foot section of garbage to get rid of. Thanks again, Rona! The door isn't operational yet, as I got to the last couple steps of the instructions where it says "install with lag bolts, not included". Thanks guys! So I should get that done today.

I'll be taking a break for a few weeks, then need to form up the concrete apron, sidewalk and a few steps, and pour those. Then get some asphalt in to finish the driveway. Outside I'd like to get the soffits and drip edge installed before winter. I think siding will wait until spring. Inside I need to run all the internal electrical, lighting and install the garage motor. She will finally be ready to receive a car. I'm guessing early to mid November, hopefully before I need to put winter tires on so I can do it for the first time in a dry garage! Insulation and drywall may happen over the winter, we will see.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2017, 07:47 AM   #147
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Definitely looks like a garage. Very nice!
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2017, 07:51 AM   #148
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A friend of mine built a massive garage and coined it The Garage Mahal. Yours is close! Well done.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 11:45 AM   #149
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looks great!!
Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon96Taco For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 01:22 PM   #150
jeffh
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Looks awesome. I'd use that door panel for a make-shift shelf for the time being. I'd also recommend throwing the siding on, as it's a pretty simple job, and goes up fast once you put the trim on around the openings. It will protect the tyvek for uv damage. Tip is to keep the nails a <1/4" from the sheathing to allow for movement/expansion.
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:33 PM   #151
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffh View Post
Looks awesome. I'd use that door panel for a make-shift shelf for the time being. I'd also recommend throwing the siding on, as it's a pretty simple job, and goes up fast once you put the trim on around the openings. It will protect the tyvek for uv damage. Tip is to keep the nails a <1/4" from the sheathing to allow for movement/expansion.
I'd like to do the siding, I just don't think there is the time for it with all the other things before winter. I think I want to do LP Smartside, which costs about 2-3x as much as vinyl, so it would be good to push that to next year for budget reasons...We will see. If by mid-november it is still a warm fall I might get to it. You never know it Calgary. Priority is going to be the concrete, driveway and power so I can actually use it.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #152
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Nothing to add except I am jealous. I am hoping to have Spring of the garage next year.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:28 PM   #153
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Nothing to add except I am jealous. I am hoping to have Spring of the garage next year.
DO IT.

Pro tip. Plan it all now so you can start in the spring, not in, err... mid July. I "started" in April, but didn't really get started until July.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:53 PM   #154
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Whats your budget on this project?
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:06 PM   #155
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha..budget...ya, about that...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 12:13 PM   #156
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got an operational door now! woot! Feels like a big moment. I've moved loads of clay around to get the apron and sidewalk ready and now am layering in some road crush. Hopefully I can form up next weekend and pour concrete the weekend after.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:21 AM   #157
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been a busy few weekends of moving clay around, bringing in road crush, compacting and forming. A few more little things to do but should be ready for a concrete pour on Sunday morning. Not looking forward to hauling all those wheelbarrows full of cement!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 07:30 AM   #158
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Made some concrete progress on Sunday! Looking forward to getting the forms pealed off and the debris swept tonight, if I have time and light after voting. Non-pro-tip. Pouring concrete on a windy October day will lead to endless frustration removing leaves before finishing work...
Old 10-16-2017, 07:43 AM   #159
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does your driveway go beside the house to the front street, and the side of the garage on the alley is closed off?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:46 AM   #160
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, it was to big a drop to the alley to make it work from there. Plus it's on a slope and gets pretty ugly in the winter, so easier to drive in the front. It just means I'm going to be wishing for a snowblower one Christmas...so much driveway.

Tags
diy , garage , oh ####