Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2017, 12:47 PM   #601
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

In building my garage, I took a look at putting in a power plug for future electric vehicles, since it is easier to do it before the walls are closed up. A standard plug will get you under 10km/hour of charge, so not all that useful. The next upgrade is a 50A circuit, which is good for about 32km/hour, so a full night will get you near a full charge. This looks like the most reasonable option. A high amp charger will do about 50km/hour, requiring a 100A breaker.

Now, I just upgraded my service to 200A, with 100A for the house, leaving 100A for the garage. Most info I read when building the garage was that typically people run 40A or 60A panels. I've got to wonder how many people will be equipped to handle electric cars when they become more common? Adding a 50A circuit isn't necessarily a cheap easy upgrade, and anything less than that isn't going to be very useful.

https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/support/...dard-equipment
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:14 PM   #602
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think you'd need much more than 10km/hour of charge at home.

It just seems like you'd almost always be net positive even if you're plugged in around 8 hours a day during sleep.

Assuming a ~300-400km total range, I would think the vast majority of use cases would make it so that you would be net positive over a week. I can't imagine too many people driving 100km a day every day.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:18 PM   #603
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Why even bother going to production with a truck that has a 100 mile range. Who is going to seriously consider buying this?
supply chain economics are dominated by the 'last 100 miles' and the 'last mile' efficiency calculations.

For a port city like Vancouver, the savings could be massive.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:27 PM   #604
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fozzie_DeBear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 01:55 PM   #605
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
I don't think you'd need much more than 10km/hour of charge at home.

It just seems like you'd almost always be net positive even if you're plugged in around 8 hours a day during sleep.

Assuming a ~300-400km total range, I would think the vast majority of use cases would make it so that you would be net positive over a week. I can't imagine too many people driving 100km a day every day.
For sure, as far as daily goes. But if you want to do a weekend trip or something? Especially if you work Friday then want to take off after a few hours. I think for most people the 50A charger would be the minimum without getting into inconveniences at some point. I'll be running one 50A on the wall by the panel, so it will only be about 20 feet of wire.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:04 PM   #606
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
I think of them being more like an auto-clutch like in drag bikes for zero loss

(holy crap - this is way above my head.. it's just what I've heard from drag bike racers)
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:50 PM   #607
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Why even bother going to production with a truck that has a 100 mile range. Who is going to seriously consider buying this?
Drayage sector is the target market for this.

Tough to make it work though most drayage operators are hand to mouth sole proprietors. The drayage fleet is majority second hand with some operators buying tractors for as low as $5000 per.

These trucks will cost over $300,000 at least early on in their adoption.

But it's not surprise this is being rolled out now. Ports of San Pedro bay (the largest port in North America) set a target this summer for 50% of trucks accessing the port to be low or no emissions by 2030.

Drayage trucks are notoriously dirty from a local air pollution perspective. Cleaning that fleet should be a priority.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:53 PM   #608
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
In building my garage, I took a look at putting in a power plug for future electric vehicles, since it is easier to do it before the walls are closed up. A standard plug will get you under 10km/hour of charge, so not all that useful. The next upgrade is a 50A circuit, which is good for about 32km/hour, so a full night will get you near a full charge. This looks like the most reasonable option. A high amp charger will do about 50km/hour, requiring a 100A breaker.

Now, I just upgraded my service to 200A, with 100A for the house, leaving 100A for the garage. Most info I read when building the garage was that typically people run 40A or 60A panels. I've got to wonder how many people will be equipped to handle electric cars when they become more common? Adding a 50A circuit isn't necessarily a cheap easy upgrade, and anything less than that isn't going to be very useful.

https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/support/...dard-equipment
I think we over estimate how often people are going to be charging at home. It's more likely that there will be a big mix of how people charge. At work, at a charging station or through inductive chargers at a red light for example.

If your car's range is 400 km then most urban commuters would only need to charge once a week. The focus on charging is overblown in my mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 03:04 PM   #609
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe this belongs in random thought thread, but I've always wondered why engine stop-start technology wasn't made mandatory years ago (my 2005 has it). Not too late I suppose. It would be a reasonable stop gap to decrease emissions while electrics work their way into the 'common man' market.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:08 PM   #610
Stormageddon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
I think we over estimate how often people are going to be charging at home. It's more likely that there will be a big mix of how people charge. At work, at a charging station or through inductive chargers at a red light for example.

If your car's range is 400 km then most urban commuters would only need to charge once a week. The focus on charging is overblown in my mind.
But is everyone's place of work going to have a charger that employees can use? Who pays for things like inductive red light charging? We aren't going to get free electricity to charge all the time.
Stormageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:13 PM   #611
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormageddon View Post
But is everyone's place of work going to have a charger that employees can use? Who pays for things like inductive red light charging? We aren't going to get free electricity to charge all the time.
My workplace has multiple charging stations that are charge as you go. Drive up, plug-in, waive your credit card, then you are charged until the car is fully-charged or the plug is pulled (circuit broken). Easy, simple, and cost pennies to plug in your EV or plug-in hybrid. There are multiple in public parades around our city as well. Its a good system.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 03:31 PM   #612
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure if you're familiar with the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification for buildings? It works on a point system. If you want your building LEED gold, you need a certain amount of points. Silver is less, platinum is more, etc. Anyway, low hanging fruit points are promoting energy efficient transportation to your building. This typically means bike storage/racks and plug-ins (or accomodation for future plug ins) for electric vehicles. And these plug-ins will be located in premium spots. So, if you see a building LEED certified, it likely has plug ins.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 03:32 PM   #613
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post

Do you think most people will be perfectly satsifeid with a standard 15A circuit then? I think a 50A is still kind of the minimum I'd want.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:33 PM   #614
Stormageddon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
My workplace has multiple charging stations that are charge as you go. Drive up, plug-in, waive your credit card, then you are charged until the car is fully-charged or the plug is pulled (circuit broken). Easy, simple, and cost pennies to plug in your EV or plug-in hybrid. There are multiple in public parades around our city as well. Its a good system.
I must say I am surprised. Although I live in rural Alberta so we don't see that kind of thing. I think the Peavey Mart has a charging station, never seen it used.
Stormageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:26 PM   #615
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Business models are already emerging. Austin energy, the municipal utility currently offers a subscription to pay $4.17 a month for unlimited charging at any of their utility owned charging stations.

Where there is demand for a good (vehicle charging) there will be people trying to make money off of it.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:05 PM   #616
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Re: who will pay for inductive charging...by the time that comes there will be wireless communications and blockchain-ish solutions that will automatically charge you for the energy you take. No hassle.

This article talks about it being used for tolls
http://www.trustnodes.com/2017/05/28...er-alternative

Old 08-31-2017, 07:21 PM   #617
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I must say I am surprised. Although I live in rural Alberta so we don't see that kind of thing. I think the Peavey Mart has a charging station, never seen it used.
You mean Alberta, one of the beds of O&G production, is not seeing a lot of EV activity? That's like saying Detroit, and surrounding areas, don't have a over abundance of charging stations. I'm shocked! Since we are the center of NA solar energy production, I suspect we might be a little ahead of the curve.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:51 AM   #618
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Cummins beats Tesla to the punch

Old 09-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #619
Calgaryflamesgirl34
Backup Goalie

Exp:

So I don't usually post but I work for an electrical company in Ottawa for new home builder's. As far as the car chargers go we offer our customers 40amp and 60amp services in the garage. Right now the 40amp is for all the mid range vehicles like BMW, Nissan, Ford, etc. While the 60amp is for the Tesla. Are homes come with 100amp panels and we always suggest 200amp if customers are getting a 60amp car rough in. By 2020 all the new homes in Ottawa will come with 200amp panels and the underground pipes to run a car charger to the garage.
Calgaryflamesgirl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgaryflamesgirl34 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2017, 11:21 AM   #620
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, appreciate the info!