Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-10-2017, 04:07 PM   #3621
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Just to add to what Fuzz is saying.
Alberta has to compete globally with Oil and gas projects, more profitable projects will get financed and developed before less profitable ones. That's precisely why Imposing a carbon Tax, and increasing royalties in Alberta is so detrimental, it drives up the cost of production and makes our projects less desirable.
There are per-production subsidies for trade exposed industries which for the most part reduces emission leakage.
cal_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #3622
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkitgto View Post
The whole morality thing is just public relations image thing to make sure investors in Europe stay happy with Shell. Shell is a major blue chip in Europe and is in every major pension fund, and with the growing hostility from public opinion in the EU towards oil companies you can bet Shell is getting nervous. That, and they have a lot of debt associated with their BG takeover. I don't think Exxon cares as much as Shell about their clean/morality image.

Why are they going balls deep into gas? Is there just no more oil to go after outside of OPEC?
I believe they see it as the future of fuel, which is totally reasonable as it is the cleaner option between it, coal, and oil. This should also theoretically keep them in Alberta as we have lots of gas here as well. The two major prongs of growth here are going to be Oil Sands and Montney Gas. Those are Western Canada's only world class resources worth writing home about, meagre conventional oil won't be enough for this province to make its nut.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #3623
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkitgto View Post
Why are they going balls deep into gas? Is there just no more oil to go after outside of OPEC?
Without gas, much of western Europe freezes to death in the winter.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:45 PM   #3624
bizkitgto
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Without gas, much of western Europe freezes to death in the winter.
Yeah, but my point is oil is still more $$$$ over gas, and shell needs big money if they want to remain a major pension fund blue-chip/dividend aristocrat. I get gas will always be important - but oil is where the cash is and walking away from monster assets at the bottom of the cycle seems crazy to me. Shell must've got a margin call or something. They gave these assets away.
bizkitgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:22 PM   #3625
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gas is going crazy right now, all the way from Whitecourt to ft St John is out of hand, guys can't even find rooms in fox Creek.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:37 PM   #3626
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Shells going to win.

Luckily we have plenty of Gas here too?
Yes the WSCB is a gas basin first. We go as gas goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
The spread between Oil Price and Gas Prices (at the terminal) are built to include their overhead and other costs. Sure, they might lose money upstream but if all the majors in a given region incur more costs (like they would if you brought in a carbon tax) I seriously doubt they just won't increase the spread to make up that loss in production costs.

If you're suggesting that marketers would import product, chances are you'd be importing from the same majors so they don't lose anything in the big picture.
Refiners are producers customers, and they have the choice to buy from whatever basket they want. We have a high cost base. Why do you think Irving buys Saudi and Venezuelan oil over Alberta? Becuase it's cheaper.... becuase Alberta tries to pass on its prices. They don't ####in take it if they don't have to.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2017, 12:10 AM   #3627
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
Refiners are producers customers, and they have the choice to buy from whatever basket they want. We have a high cost base. Why do you think Irving buys Saudi and Venezuelan oil over Alberta? Becuase it's cheaper.... becuase Alberta tries to pass on its prices. They don't ####in take it if they don't have to.
Not the only considerations though. Irving can't get Alberta crude in the volumes they need even if they want to. Plus I know Suncor Montreal and likely Irving aren't set up to take a crude as heavy as Alberta exports. If you don't have the ability process heavy, you can't buy cheaper heavier crude. There was a project on the books to convert Montreal to Mayan or similar but it got killed years ago.

Cenovus invested in Wood River to take their production and Wood River had a coker added in 2011 to take heavier feed.

My impression has always been that the light-heavy spread takes into account higher Alberta cost structure and some refiners find heavy to be enough of a bargain that they can make it work, if the refinery is configured to take it.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:58 AM   #3628
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Not the only considerations though. Irving can't get Alberta crude in the volumes they need even if they want to. Plus I know Suncor Montreal and likely Irving aren't set up to take a crude as heavy as Alberta exports. If you don't have the ability process heavy, you can't buy cheaper heavier crude. There was a project on the books to convert Montreal to Mayan or similar but it got killed years ago.

Cenovus invested in Wood River to take their production and Wood River had a coker added in 2011 to take heavier feed.

My impression has always been that the light-heavy spread takes into account higher Alberta cost structure and some refiners find heavy to be enough of a bargain that they can make it work, if the refinery is configured to take it.
IF, you've touched on a subtlety most do not understand, and I try to explain away in a big price difference. You're exactly right. There needs to be a slight push of an incentive in a probject that would benefit the national interest....
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:36 PM   #3629
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't want to derail this thread, but I think that this is a good place to ask my question.

I am looking for some advice on becoming an operator at a production facility. My work history has been mostly on the labor side, in seismic exploration, production drilling, and most recently well servicing. In 2013 I decided to pursue some education and eventually settled on a math degree which I am currently working on at Athabasca University. I am about two years away from completing it, and I am also working full time right now as a professional driver.

I've taken a few chemistry and physics courses as well, and I really enjoy it. A friend of mine was telling me about what operators do and it really captured my interest, mainly because it's a good mix of my work history but also more technical and overall more interesting and gives me a better chance to apply some of my new-found knowledge!

My question is, how does someone get into it? Is now just a bad time? I've seen a few postings on some larger companies websites such as cenovus, but most require a few years of experience. I also realize that a power engineering certificate is often required, but not always. My friend was telling me that companies will often train operators themselves, so that is what I am trying to find. What is a good way to search for openings and obtain some good contacts?

Anyways, any advice is appreciated, thanks!
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:28 PM   #3630
bizkitgto
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Here are my 0.02:

1. If you want to be an operator you need either a Fourth Class Steam Ticket as a minimum if you want to work at one of the big sites. Some field jobs may accept a Gas Plant Ops Certificate. But a 4th class gets you everywhere.

2. The industry is cutting back right now, lay offs are happeneing every quarter. I think you will have a very hard time getting in anywhere without an inside connection.

If you enroll in 4th class route at Nait/Sait things may appear better in three years. Good luck.
bizkitgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #3631
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delthefunky View Post
IAnyways, any advice is appreciated, thanks!
You have a PM.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #3632
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delthefunky View Post
I don't want to derail this thread, but I think that this is a good place to ask my question.

I am looking for some advice on becoming an operator at a production facility. My work history has been mostly on the labor side, in seismic exploration, production drilling, and most recently well servicing. In 2013 I decided to pursue some education and eventually settled on a math degree which I am currently working on at Athabasca University. I am about two years away from completing it, and I am also working full time right now as a professional driver.

I've taken a few chemistry and physics courses as well, and I really enjoy it. A friend of mine was telling me about what operators do and it really captured my interest, mainly because it's a good mix of my work history but also more technical and overall more interesting and gives me a better chance to apply some of my new-found knowledge!

My question is, how does someone get into it? Is now just a bad time? I've seen a few postings on some larger companies websites such as cenovus, but most require a few years of experience. I also realize that a power engineering certificate is often required, but not always. My friend was telling me that companies will often train operators themselves, so that is what I am trying to find. What is a good way to search for openings and obtain some good contacts?

Anyways, any advice is appreciated, thanks!
What's your motivation for getting into O&G? (Location? Pay? Type of Work?) The reason I ask is that both mining and pulp/paper mill operators have very similar day to day work tasks while requiring far less technical qualifications at an entry level. If you are open to FIFO out of the northern diamond mines or moving to a smaller mining town in BC or Ontario, these could be viable options for you in this field.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:57 PM   #3633
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
The reason I ask is that both mining and pulp/paper mill operators have very similar day to day work tasks while requiring far less technical qualifications at an entry level.
Don't most pulp mills require 3rd/2nd class tickets? I know way more people with a 4th/3rd working in O&G. Pulp seemed to be mostly 2nds with a smattering of 3rds.

Unless our definition of operator is different.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #3634
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fire & explosion at the Syncrude plant north of Ft. Mac. Not good:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...rray-1.4025069
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:30 PM   #3635
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
What's your motivation for getting into O&G? (Location? Pay? Type of Work?) The reason I ask is that both mining and pulp/paper mill operators have very similar day to day work tasks while requiring far less technical qualifications at an entry level. If you are open to FIFO out of the northern diamond mines or moving to a smaller mining town in BC or Ontario, these could be viable options for you in this field.
Thanks, all info is appreciated, I'm just now learning about this profession. Yeah my motivation is a little bit of everything that you mentioned. Pay, sure, but I like the idea of working a few weeks and then getting a few weeks off. I find that kind of nice. Also, the type of work just seems a bit more rewarding than strict labor positions.
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:34 PM   #3636
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.iea.org/oilmarketreport/omrpublic/

Latest Oil market report.

Shows demand overtaking supply in 2017, but;

Quote:
"So, the market is still dealing with a vast amount of past supply, which will take time to work its way through the system."
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:51 PM   #3637
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/keys...ment-1.4037797

Quote:
U.S. set to recommend approval of Keystone XL pipeline on Friday
According to the CBC article Nebraska still hasn't completely approved it yet.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:31 PM   #3638
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/keys...ment-1.4037797

According to the CBC article Nebraska still hasn't completely approved it yet.
Got to do this quick before Trump gets charged with Treason
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:45 PM   #3639
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heard about Conoco selling a bunch of assets to Cenovus for ~$13 billion (~$10B in cash, the rest in stock).

http://www.conocophillips.com/newsro...?docid=3292017

I don't know how much they will have left after the sale, but the release mentions they're retaining Surmont & Blueberry-Montney.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:48 PM   #3640
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bought them out of Christina Lake and Foster creek. Wow
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote