Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-25-2017, 10:18 PM   #601
Slanter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Been wanting to contribute to this thread for awhile, but I've got three small kids that have been keeping me away from the water. Anyways, I managed to get out yesterday and put in a long day. Got up early enough to catch the sunrise at the top of the pass heading to the Trunk Road:

The dusting of snow was a nice touch, but it was -7C when I got to my favourite spot at 8:00! The first couple hours were darn cold, and the fish weren't co-operating, but by noon I was getting some good action:

Eventually I moved on to some smaller creeks. I've been on a bit of a quest to find an ideal spot to take my kids fishing (the youngest is 3). I have three criteria: lots of little fish so success is basically guaranteed, decent access (not a huge hike, limited wading), and a creek small enough that if a kid fell in it wouldn't be the end of the world. I think I found a pretty good option, and spent a few hours walking the creek looking for holes, and tossing the odd fly with decent success.

Also, in one hole I saw this weird black trout. Anyone know what it could be? I got a decent shot by sticking my camera under water. It doesn't look like any bull or cutthroat trout I've ever seen. In this image there are both cutthroat and one bull, and this black fish stuck out like a sore thumb. If anyone wants the high resolution image, send me a PM.

Last edited by Slanter; 09-25-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Slanter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Slanter For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 08:56 AM   #602
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Nice fishing story! I'd like to see that Hi-Res image. No black spots on the dark fish from what I can see there?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:04 AM   #603
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whitefish is my guess?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:13 AM   #604
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

My gut says Bull Trout, but I don't see white on the edge of the fins.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #605
Slanter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I can't really rule anything out, because I'm wondering if it was just a cutthroat or bull trout with weird pigmenting. But I really think it had to be a trout, the shape of its head was wrong for a whitefish. Definitely no white tips on the fins, and this was a decently large fish (~10 inches I would say). So if it was a bull that big, you'd think its fin markings would be clear. The water was shallow and clear, so I had a pretty good look at it.

Upon further reflection, I'm wondering if perhaps it was a Brook Trout. I just wasn't expecting a brook trout in this location. Also, I don't see many Brook Trout usually, so I wouldn't feel very confident ID'ing one in the water.

If you guys PM me an email address I'll send you a high resolution image, and tell you where I was fishing.
Slanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #606
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Bull trout just finished spawning so their colour would be different than the rest of the season. Could be a dark cutty also? Or a sucker? Sucker would make sense in shape, behavior and no white tips on fins.
Angelamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:05 PM   #607
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelamc View Post
Bull trout just finished spawning so their colour would be different than the rest of the season. Could be a dark cutty also? Or a sucker? Sucker would make sense in shape, behavior and no white tips on fins.
I would have thought that they would be just starting to spawn? Usually around the end of September/early October I thought.

I didn't think it was a sucker because they're hideous and everyone knows what they look like!
Old 09-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #608
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

New to imgur for posting photos, had problems with photobucket, anyhow a few feesh pics to try out new to me photo sharing site.

Last edited by Angelamc; 09-27-2017 at 04:25 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Angelamc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 07:40 PM   #609
Alpaca
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I am looking for some help. My Uncle is an avid fly fisherman, is now in his 80's with health and mobility problems. However I do get him out to fly fish every once in awhile. Mahogany Lake is idea for him as he can sit in a lawn chair on a dock and fly fish for hours.We were there this week and he was wondering if anyone could give him a tip on flies that might work. He did get a few bites using what looked like a white fluff ball. We are catch and release so don't want to open one up to see what they are feeding on. Any tips would be appreciated.
Alpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:21 PM   #610
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that you can't go wrong with the Elk Hair Caddis. 60% of the time, it works every time. I would also use flies like Adams, and maybe a Royal Coachman is worth a shot. Finally for dries try patterns like blue-wing olives, black gnats or ants. Something there should work if they're eating I think.

Failing that, desperate times call for desperate measures and you could rig up some nymphs. I hate watching a bobber, but if you aren't catching and want to then sometimes it becomes necessary. Here I would go with the bead-head Prince nymph, which is basically always money. Maybe throw on a gold-ribbed hares ear (usually also bead-head) or you could try something like a fire-bead sow bug.

Good luck!

ETA: Purple Haze/Purple Craze is another favored dry for me.

Last edited by Slava; 09-27-2017 at 09:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2017, 06:33 AM   #611
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Went to grab some creek chubs for musky bait yesterday. This was following my jig. Just as I was thinking, "Holy #### look at the size of that sonofabitch", he hit the jig. 15 Minutes later, I had him. 8 Feet away in 18" of water on 2 lb. line.

A hair over 23".

Spoiler!
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2017, 10:57 AM   #612
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

North Central Native Trout Recovery Program Information Session – CALGARY SESSION

https://albertawilderness.ca/product...ssion-calgary/

Tue, December 12, 2017
6:30 PM – 9:00 PM MST Location
Alberta Wilderness Association
455 – 12 St NW
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #613
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

https://bowrivertrout.org

I have had the opportunity to work a bit with The Bow River Trout Foundation recently and wanted to share a few general points and web link so you can wander over if you are interested. A local organization from Calgary in Calgary with all proceeds going directly to The Bow River. Things such as improved river access, amenities at existing launches, care of the fishery etc. etc. They hosted a One Fly Tournament back in September and they have a Blue Ribbon Bow River Fundraising dinner coming up in Feb. All details on site. There is also the option to become a member for $25 which is a great way to give the org. backing numbers to campaign the government and other agencies for the nice things that we want for the river. Also, good to know that there is a local alternative to more national based organizations.
Cheers ~
A-
The Following User Says Thank You to Angelamc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2018, 04:48 PM   #614
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Maybe we can arrange a CP table?
Old 01-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #615
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Maybe we can arrange a CP table?
I'd be down with that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 09:26 AM   #616
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

That is Wednesday February 21st. I think I can do that. Tickets are $125.

Silent auction! Could be some great deals on gear and trips!

Who wants to go?

Angelamc
Slava
troutman

Last edited by troutman; 01-16-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:36 AM   #617
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
That is Wednesday February 21st. I think I can do that. Tickets are $125.

Silent auction! Could be some great deals on gear and trips!

Who wants to go?

Angelamc
Slava
troutman
I know a guy who sells gear and it already a great deal though!
Old 01-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #618
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Have any of you used Tenkara rods? I'm looking at getting back into fly fishing along with my son. Just curious if that would be a good approach for a 7 year old.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:56 PM   #619
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Have any of you used Tenkara rods? I'm looking at getting back into fly fishing along with my son. Just curious if that would be a good approach for a 7 year old.
I have and they're pretty fun, but be prepared to struggle a little with landing the fish if they're good sized. I know, it sounds like a good problem to have, and it kind of is. But whatever you have out is staying out, so I find it a little tricky. They're sweet because you can collapse them and throw them in a backpack or whatever easily though.

For my kids I generally give them 5/6 weight rods and reels, and then have tippet strong enough so that the fly isn't off in the trees or whatever all the time. I do think that for kids dry fly fishing for small trout is just the best. They get so excited seeing the take, and sure, sometimes they yank the fish straight out. Sometimes they don't even notice the take and you really need to coach them. It's so fun though! I often just walk along and don't even fish because I like seeing the kids help them landing fish or giving a few pointers here and there.

I also recommend taking your 7 year old somewhere where casting isn't going to be super necessary. A small stream where they can kind of roll the fly out and see what's going on. Sure, the fish won't be huge, but that's hardly the point.

Just thinking of this is making me wish it was summer already!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2018, 01:45 AM   #620
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Is anyone out ice fishing this season? Maybe we can organize a CP event somewhere, hopefully not a place that is super busy. What do you guys think?

Tags
bow river , fishing , fly fishing