Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-28-2023, 10:44 AM   #1
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default How much damage did Covid do?

Sorry, weird thread

I had a whole spiel written up. But then starting crying.

balls

Last edited by fotze2; 07-28-2023 at 10:50 AM.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2023, 10:52 AM   #2
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Was the Covid forum deleted?
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 10:59 AM   #3
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Yup. Right when that bad boy was done!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2023, 10:59 AM   #4
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Sorry, weird thread

balls
Sounds like a lot of damage
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 11:03 AM   #5
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think we will know for a long time. Guess we will see if the heart damage lowers our life expectancy meaningfully.

Comparatively speaking, I think it was less severe than previous pandemics like the Spanish Flu.

It definitely broke a few brains along the way, a ton of people I still see prosecuting the response are the ones who denied it, and then refused to participate in mitigating it. They seem desperate to prove to themselves that they were right, despite most of their predictions being nonsense.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 11:11 AM   #6
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Sorry, weird thread

balls
I lost my Father in Law to Covid, we only had a memorial for him two weeks ago. He was a kind gentle man that I loved a lot.

I lost my favorite Aunt to Covid. I have a cousin that sounds and looks just like her (oddly she is the daughter of my uncle, not the daughter of my favorite aunt). I saw her in Feb in Toronto, it made me sad. It made me realize I won't see my Aunt again, it ####ing sucked and it still upsets me as I type this post.

It's ok to cry.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 11:12 AM   #7
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

A friend who’s had all of his vaccinations has long COVID and it’s devastating. He also lost his brother early on.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 11:16 AM   #8
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I don't think we will know for a long time. Guess we will see if the heart damage lowers our life expectancy meaningfully.

Comparatively speaking, I think it was less severe than previous pandemics like the Spanish Flu.

It definitely broke a few brains along the way, a ton of people I still see prosecuting the response are the ones who denied it, and then refused to participate in mitigating it. They seem desperate to prove to themselves that they were right, despite most of their predictions being nonsense.
This is something that I think is interesting, was it 'less severe' or did the fact that modern medicine of our time is so much more effective that it kept a lot of the ancillary damage low?

We definitely had more problems because of the mobility and porosity of our borders, the Spanish Flu really kicked ass because of the mobilization of troops allowed huge infected populations to move from place to place which wouldnt be the norm in 1918.

And then...communication....hoo boy...thats the big one.

Now you can have a National Leader make a health policy and put that on TV delivering that policy to the Nation in no time, couldnt do that back in the day either.

But the flip side is that every crackpot and lunatic also got a soapbox upon which to peddle their nonsense.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 11:16 AM   #9
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Certainly I think there was some heart damage, and we might see an uptick of that kind of thing now that it's in circulation. Guess we'll see. Then again, I don't know how well we were tracking heart damage from things like infections previously so maybe it won't be significantly different, numbers wise.

Mentally I think this sent a ton of people off the deep end when it comes to politics and conspiracies, though maybe they are just louder than they previously were.

For myself, the primary damage is that I see certain people in my life very differently, I was really surprised how unreasonable many people are. I'm not saying they need to agree with anything, but the inability to understand different perspectives, and the doubling down on nonsense they know nothing about was eye opening.

For my wife it's damage from her bout of covid that we are still working through. Nothing debilitating at this point but there have been significant issues and not somewhat subjective things like feeling tired etc.We are near a yr and half at this point and it's gotten better but she's had a really rough time.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 11:20 AM   #10
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post

Lots of morons virtue signaling about "defending freedom" going on, when really they refused to act in accordance with the best strategy to end the damn thing. Also a lot of people acting like they would have known how to handle it, when any government or organization would have been dealing with an incredibly dynamic and difficult situation and would have to figure it out along the way.

All in all it was never going to be pain free for society. I feel for those that lost loved ones or have long term health impacts. But ultimately it could have been way worse.
The fact that the world mobilized efforts to get vaccines together that quickly was actually quite a feat.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 11:21 AM   #11
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Only archived, it's available here: https://forum.calgarypuck.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66
Old 07-28-2023, 11:22 AM   #12
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We won't know the real damage until the next pandemic when we pretend we can't possibly take any measures to prevent spread because the world is filled with morons. So that'll be fun.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2023, 11:23 AM   #13
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

My lungs are ####ed now after having covid, to the point that it might cause me to lose my job

I had asthma as a kid, "grew out of it" and didn't have symptoms for decades. Nowadays when I take a deep, full breath, it feels like my lungs are maybe 1/3 full. I'm always out of energy because of it, and can never get a good night's sleep

But I still consider myself lucky, we haven't lost anyone in the immediate family
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2023, 11:28 AM   #14
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I picked up my kid at the airport and the nerds who worked for the covid squad prevented me to seeing him. The covid company. ####ty policeman said I looked agitated and he was going to arrest me..

Why cant I just get my kid who has 4 covid tests.

####ing evil
Old 07-28-2023, 11:30 AM   #15
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My uncle died of heart failure 1-2 months after getting vaccinated.

Individually I came through unscathed.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 11:31 AM   #16
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
My lungs are ####ed now after having covid, to the point that it might cause me to lose my job

I had asthma as a kid, "grew out of it" and didn't have symptoms for decades. Nowadays when I take a deep, full breath, it feels like my lungs are maybe 1/3 full. I'm always out of energy because of it, and can never get a good night's sleep

But I still consider myself lucky, we haven't lost anyone in the immediate family
I have chronic bronchitis...not from Covid, but from a brutal cold I caught after Covid this December. I thought not getting a cold for 2 years was great...until I got a cold and my built up immunity had been ravished.

It's improved over the last 3 months or so, but there was definitely about 2-3 months where I was totally dependent on cough suppressants to get through the day/night. I also blacked out a couple of times during coughing fits. I would not want to wish respiratory issues on anyone.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 11:33 AM   #17
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have chronic bronchitis...not from Covid, but from a brutal cold I caught after Covid this December. I thought not getting a cold for 2 years was great...until I got a cold and my built up immunity had been ravished.

It's improved over the last 3 months or so, but there was definitely about 2-3 months where I was totally dependent on cough suppressants to get through the day/night. I also blacked out a couple of times during coughing fits. I would not want to wish respiratory issues on anyone.
Damn, sorry to hear that. I caught that respiratory thing that was going around in December too, and the symptoms at the time were worse than when I had covid. I'm sure getting that just 6 months after having covid wasn't good for my long term health
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 11:34 AM   #18
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I was talking more about the non medical stuff. I am a way bigger piece of ####. I just think we fataed up some stuff. My 90 yr old dad got it and fought it off, so don;t bring bring your frail elder who died in my face.
Old 07-28-2023, 11:38 AM   #19
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

From a purely personal standpoint at this point it might as well have not happened.

We had no job / work interruptions. My wife and I both got it (she got it twice) but it was mild and no long term effects to either of us. My kids were all young and not in school yet -- my oldest had a few interruptions in his grade 1 year and had to still wear masks a bit but nothing crazy. I didn't personally know anyone to pass away from it, either close or distant.

I realize this is a pretty fortunate result but still, yeah.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 11:38 AM   #20
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just want everyone to be good.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post: