Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-04-2015, 01:36 PM   #1
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Fishing - Everything Fishing!

I didn't see a thread that was already started so here it is.

I am kind of new to fly fishing in Calgary but I am very excited about it. My spouse and I bought new fly rods this year because spin casting just wasn't working for us.

Anyway, long story short I would love to find out more about good spots around town, in the Bow, nice spots for fly fishing, etc and maybe some info on how the flood has made some positive changes since 2013.

We live off glenmore and deerfoot, so we will be down in that area a lot during the week and that whole area is brand new looking since the flood. Lots of people fly fishing, so I guess it is a good spot under the bridge down there.

We are also going out to Vancouver Island and will be all over the north end of the island particularly. We will be in the Campbell river area and all the way up to Port Hardy. We will be spending a couple of days in the Campbell river area to fish on the Quinsam and the Campbell to do some fly fishing. We will be up on Port Hardy to do some halibut and hopefully salmon fishing. It should be a good trip, but I was wondering if anyone can suggest some good rivers to fish in those areas? We will be visiting a couple of stocked lakes as well. I am positive we will catch something.

It should be an exciting spring/summer of fishing!

Anyway, thanks in advance for contributing and adding to the thread.

Last edited by foshizzle11; 01-18-2016 at 03:31 PM. Reason: no date needed.
foshizzle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:16 PM   #2
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've booked my first fly fishing trip of the year next month in Montana (on the Missouri) and frankly I can't wait. I last fished it in November and caught some nice trout that day, so hopefully this early spring trip is even better!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:52 PM   #3
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nice, we saw some guided trips advertised at the fly fishing show in Calgary earlier this year and it looks like a great place to fish.

I definitely want to go do a few different trips in the next couple of years, including steelhead fishing on the coast. I've watched numerous videos online and it looks wild for a fly fishing adventure.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:32 PM   #4
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

You might have a hard time getting people to post here about places that they like to fish specifically. One day you post it here and the next day your favorite fishing hole is full of other guys fishing. To me its the main reason why golf is so popular and fishing isn't; you can tell everyone about a great course you played and if everyone goes its fine, but fishing is much more secretive and just not shared both for the benefit of the fisherman and the fishery itself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2015, 01:47 PM   #5
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I guess you have a point but I have visited a few forums and people have no issues with sharing their hot spots. I don't mind sharing the hot spots that I could possibly find.

It is just fishing....it isn't a competition, why not share this info?

I just thought people could come and share their stories, not necessarily pinpoint the locations they go fishing and catch the big ones.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:04 PM   #6
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Well from all the license plates I see at boat launches in the summer, apparently the best fishing spots in Alberta are in Saskatchewan.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I've booked my first fly fishing trip of the year next month in Montana (on the Missouri) and frankly I can't wait. I last fished it in November and caught some nice trout that day, so hopefully this early spring trip is even better!
Why the Missouri River? Is it better than the Flathead?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:31 PM   #8
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Hot Spots on Forums

Foshizzle11
I hate to give you the bad news but you obviously are not on the major fishing forums around this town. hardly anyone gives out their hotspot any longer as they are all lake X or Frank lakes. Many a fight has occurred over the last few years since it seems evertime someone gives up a spot it is either crowded with people or the lake is fished out in a couple years.

Feel free to share all you like but my point is on most of the other major fishing forums you will get no info or bogus info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
I guess you have a point but I have visited a few forums and people have no issues with sharing their hot spots. I don't mind sharing the hot spots that I could possibly find.

I just thought people could come and share their stories, not necessarily pinpoint the locations they go fishing and catch the big ones.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:35 PM   #9
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Size
Angelamc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Angelamc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2015, 02:41 PM   #10
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post

The first rule of Hot-Spots, is don't talk about Hot-Spots.

Fishing is absolutely a competition. There are a limited number of fish, days on the water, good hatches etc.

Unfortunately, when some hot-spots get widely divulged, they get hammered and never really recover.

Not everyone practices catch and release, and too many are outright poachers.

The good way to do this is share info privately with people you trust not to tell everyone. If you take another angler to a good spot, they will take you to one of theirs. Keep it secret. Keep it safe.

Some of these holes took a lot of work and research to find, and no one is going to just give away that information.

I think the most fun thing is exploring and finding your own spots. There are countless little streams and lakes on the Eastern Slopes. Usually, the further you go from an access point, the better the fishing will be.

Slava and I found our way to this last summer:

Last edited by troutman; 03-05-2015 at 02:53 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2015, 02:48 PM   #11
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

This will point you in the right directions:

Title:
Alberta's trout highway : fishing the forestry trunk road
Author:
Mitchell, Barry, 1947-

Fishing the Canadian Rockies Paperback – 2001
by Joseph Graham Ambrosi (Author)

Last edited by troutman; 03-05-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:24 PM   #12
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
The first rule of Hot-Spots, is don't talk about Hot-Spots.

Fishing is absolutely a competition. There are a limited number of fish, days on the water, good hatches etc.

Unfortunately, when some hot-spots get widely divulged, they get hammered and never really recover.

Not everyone practices catch and release, and too many are outright poachers.

The good way to do this is share info privately with people you trust not to tell everyone. If you take another angler to a good spot, they will take you to one of theirs. Keep it secret. Keep it safe.

Some of these holes took a lot of work and research to find, and no one is going to just give away that information.

I think the most fun thing is exploring and finding your own spots. There are countless little streams and lakes on the Eastern Slopes. Usually, the further you go from an access point, the better the fishing will be.

Slava and I found our way to this last summer:
Beautiful cutty, looks like a Livingston or Oldman speciman, best guess.

There are limited fishing locations in Alberta that anyone can't just drive up and fish. Fishing pressure is a real thing, hence the need for secrecy. I would welcome a conservation license on some of the eastern slope streams, similar to the Elk River in southern BC. Elk was over fished and nearly dead until the conservation license was introduced. As a non-resident I will happily pay the $20/day for the pleasure to enjoy an amazing fishery. Stops the folks from just stopping on the side of the highway, and all funds go to conservation efforts.

Zero limit on the upper Oldman is a good start, and I was happy to see, that last summer, they were out enforcing it as well.

Elk River Cutthroat:

Last edited by Flacker; 03-05-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2015, 04:00 PM   #13
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Why the Missouri River? Is it better than the Flathead?
I've never fished the Flathead so I couldn't really say. The Missouri is basically like Mecca for fly fishing though. The little town called Craig has roughly 38 people, two bars (one year round) and three fly fishing shops. Its awesome! Its really just beautiful there, as is most of Montana, and the fishing is really good. I'm not giving out a secret here; the Missouri is extremely well known for fly fishing in general and some very famous people make their way there to fish (in the summer though, not the shoulder season)
Old 03-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #14
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The best place to fish is secret creek in the no-telly basin.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:30 PM   #15
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I've never fished the Flathead so I couldn't really say. The Missouri is basically like Mecca for fly fishing though. The little town called Craig has roughly 38 people, two bars (one year round) and three fly fishing shops. Its awesome! Its really just beautiful there, as is most of Montana, and the fishing is really good. I'm not giving out a secret here; the Missouri is extremely well known for fly fishing in general and some very famous people make their way there to fish (in the summer though, not the shoulder season)
Interesting. I've always thought and heard that the Flathead is excellent for fishing but I've never looked into the Missouri in Montana. Might be worthwhile to do some research.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:02 AM   #16
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

This CP group could be a good place to arrange meet-ups (and possibly share tips). . .

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/group.php?groupid=24
Old 03-06-2015, 10:24 AM   #17
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been to a few events in Lethbridge where the local fly fishing group brings in speakers and a few vendors (not many as its mostly educational) and they talk about everything from fly-tying to trips and tactics. They're fascinating, and if you really like fly-fishing a great event. Much better than the mobile stores that come to the Calgary Fly Fishing Expo, at least in my opinion. We could try to organize something here albeit on a smaller scale and I would be willing to help organize this if people are interested.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:28 AM   #18
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevishot View Post
The best place to fish is secret creek in the no-telly basin.
Here is my favorite fish picture from last year that was caught right there!

Lots of people don't like Brook trout, but I just like trout and this guy was beautiful!
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #19
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Slava, nice Brookie with spawning colors!
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2015, 10:47 AM   #20
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

My place for Browns, last July . . .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:

Tags
bow river , fishing , fly fishing