Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2018, 12:30 PM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default 28YO man comes to have sex with 13YO girl..parents arrested after tying him up

Quote:
A Port Alberni couple could be facing charges after they filmed the takedown of a 28-year-old man they say came to their home to have sex with their 13-year-old daughter.

“We f***ing tackled him and zap-strapped him and called the police because earlier today when I asked the police to come here for this meet, they said ‘no,'” the mother said on the video.

“I went to the police and I asked them to come with me,” she said. “It’s not my job, it was theirs. That’s why I gave it to them to deal with.”

The parents said they tried for six weeks to get Port Alberni RCMP to intervene, and eventually staged their own sting on a man who allegedly sent nude photos and sexually-charged messages to their daughter.

Messy story all around but terrifying optics in the RCMP's case.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4148702/p...ator-hog-tied/
Old 04-17-2018, 12:37 PM   #2
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Had the RCMP acted on the parents' concerns, there would have been no need for confrontation in the first place. That the RCMP takes the position that the parents should just wait all while a pedo is grooming their child is reckless.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:39 PM   #3
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Messy story all around but terrifying optics in the RCMP's case.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4148702/p...ator-hog-tied/
You forgot to quote the part of the story where the RCMP confirmed that they were already investigating this guy when the parents decided to act on their own.

So charge the parents, maybe toss an obstruction charge on top and hope that their actions didn't completely butcher the RCMP's case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesse View Post
Had the RCMP acted on the parents' concerns, there would have been no need for confrontation in the first place. That the RCMP takes the position that the parents should just wait all while a pedo is grooming their child is reckless.
That's the problem. The RCMP were acting on the parents concerns when this went down.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

He's lucky that's not my daughter. That'd be murder if he stepped in my house.

This story is becoming typical. I would expect that the RCMP are going to have to come clean

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #5
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
You forgot to quote the part of the story where the RCMP confirmed that they were already investigating this guy when the parents decided to act on their own.

So charge the parents, maybe toss an obstruction charge on top and hope that their actions didn't completely butcher the RCMP's case.

That's the problem. The RCMP were acting on the parents concerns when this went down.
Except the guy showed up at their house before anything was done.

The RCMP dropped the ball here, no other way to look at it.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:47 PM   #6
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Except the guy showed up at their house before anything was done.

The RCMP dropped the ball here, no other way to look at it.
Except that he was invited there by the parents for the explicit purpose of illegally detaining him. They knew the police were investigating and were simply unhappy that they didn't go out and arrest the guy (who is apparently a family friend) on their word alone.

What timeframe do you think is appropriate for an allegation of luring to be investigated? Or should they have just gone right to his house and arrested him and then investigated with him locked up?
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 12:47 PM   #7
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The parents said they tried for six weeks to get Port Alberni RCMP to intervene, and eventually staged their own sting on a man who allegedly sent nude photos and sexually-charged messages to their daughter.
What I don't understand and it could be the writing, is why did the parents let contact continue to happen? The instant you see any sexual messages or pictures I would go to the cops (like I assume they did) and then I would be cutting off all contact my kid had with him. Let the cops do their investigation, while I protect my kid from any further inappropriate messages/pictures.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 12:47 PM   #8
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, they should have let him have sex with their daughter so they didn't get in the way of the ongoing investigation. Seriously, if they were investigating the guy here was their perfect opportunity to catch him in the act.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:47 PM   #9
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

???

The guy showed up at their house to rape their daughter. He's lucky he's alive.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 12:49 PM   #10
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Yes, they should have let him have sex with their daughter so they didn't get in the way of the ongoing investigation. Seriously, if they were investigating the guy here was their perfect opportunity to catch him in the act.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
???

What? It says right in the article the parents set up the sting and wanted the cops to come to it with them.

Clearly the parents set up the sex meeting, not the daughter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 12:52 PM   #11
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

This story is becoming typical. I would expect that the RCMP are going to have to come clean
haha, yeah, because that would really help your daughter.
Instead of being here while you grow up, get married, have your first kid, etc., Daddy's going away for 25 years. Love you, baby.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:55 PM   #12
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
haha, yeah, because that would really help your daughter.
Instead of being here while you grow up, get married, have your first kid, etc., Daddy's going away for 25 years. Love you, baby.
knowing what kind of lousy parent I'd be if I did have a kid, she'd be better off.

And think of the stories. "My daddy is the only daddy in this room who's killed a person. SO GET ME A COOKIE!!"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:18 PM   #13
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

News at 11: Police investigations take time.

So because these parents went all "vigilante justice" on this individual, this means somehow the police dropped the ball? The only issue here is the parent's lack of good decision making and parenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
???

LOL. Wow.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 01:19 PM   #14
iggyformayor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
What? It says right in the article the parents set up the sting and wanted the cops to come to it with them.

Clearly the parents set up the sex meeting, not the daughter.
Except he didn't know that... He went there with the intent of statutory rape... If it was that easy for the parents to lure him there, the RCMP could have done the same much earlier and gotten a sexual predator off the streets.
iggyformayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #15
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Would you invite a pedophile to your house? I wouldn't. I'd tell the police and cut off all contact.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #16
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyformayor View Post
Except he didn't know that... He went there with the intent of statutory rape... If it was that easy for the parents to lure him there, the RCMP could have done the same much earlier and gotten a sexual predator off the streets.
What, exactly, would they be arresting him for? Is there an offense in the Criminal Code somewhere relating to being a total scumbag? How would they avoid the inevitable claims of entrapment?

This thread is hilarious. I seriously don't think half of you guys even stop for a minute to consider what you're posting.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #17
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
This thread is hilarious. I seriously don't think half of you guys even stop for a minute to consider what you're posting.
Emotion blinding critical thought.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #18
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
“Sometimes investigations take time and unfortunately, people have to show a little patience with that. But when we do it, we want to do it right,” Cpl. Amelia Hayden of Port Alberni RCMP said.
This is the big one right here. Instead of getting someone off the streets, the parents may have #####ed the investigation all up so the guy gets a minor wrist slap instead of anything else, and is right back on the street.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 01:29 PM   #19
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

The pedo was actively grooming this girl with messages for weeks while the RCMP were "investigating". How many text messages do they need before they act and how long should the parents put up with it? They can't be monitoring their daughters phone and activities 24/7. That's scary as a parent. He wasn't going to stop. So they acted.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:29 PM   #20
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyformayor View Post
Or you know, they could have done the investigation properly and arrested him?

These parents obviously did the right thing in the beginning and alerted the cops. Where they failed is trying to take matters into their own hands by setting up a sting.

Is the guy a dirtbag for sending the teen sexual messages and pictures? Yes, 100%. Are the parents wrong for setting up their own sting instead of cutting off contact with this guy? Yes, 100%.