Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-25-2017, 09:38 AM   #21
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Usually it is a cat trying to tell you it's not well. When my cat had a bladder infection she started peeing in the house where I would see it, which is the only reason I noticed the blood in her urine.

I would be surprised that there isn't something physical going on.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:49 AM   #22
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Sorta tried that. Since he pees directly under the footrests of the recliners there wasn't really a way to put it directly where he goes. Instead we put it near and in the room, then eventually moved back to the normal place.

Didn't help.
HRmm, maybe just fill your living room with litter, time to stop fighting it!

I know, not helpful.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:18 AM   #23
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

still seems like a recurrence of the crystalization of the urine. (but I'm sure the vet will tell you)
I'm guessing the cat is associating the litterbox with pain as it hurts to pee, so he's been avoiding the place where it makes him hurt. once the issues are cleared up, I bet he uses the litter box again.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:12 PM   #24
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
so you've recently gone to the vet and he didn't have a recurrence of the crystallization problem?

what's the diet of your cat? I have a cat that also has a history of the crystallizing urine.
over time we went from the special food for that issue to a mix of regular and the special stuff.

once we saw the vet again and had the issue cleared up, we went 100% with C/D health for urinary care. and we haven't had a problem since.
The most recent visit was for a bladder infection. We already accept that he will be susceptible to these kinds of issues, so we take extra precautions regarding cleanliness and food.

He's also on a C/D diet, and has been since the first occurrence of the crystals. We've been instructed to not give him any sort of regular food or treats (like Temptations).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
Usually it is a cat trying to tell you it's not well. When my cat had a bladder infection she started peeing in the house where I would see it, which is the only reason I noticed the blood in her urine.

I would be surprised that there isn't something physical going on.
It's certainly what sparked the behaviour. Since he did it before when he was ill, we took him in immediately and they treated him for the bladder infection and slight build-up of crystals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
still seems like a recurrence of the crystalization of the urine. (but I'm sure the vet will tell you)
I'm guessing the cat is associating the litterbox with pain as it hurts to pee, so he's been avoiding the place where it makes him hurt. once the issues are cleared up, I bet he uses the litter box again.
He still uses the litter box plenty. It's just that he has developed a behaviour issue where he gets stressed or worked up and pisses in the same 3 or 4 spots in the living room.

He is certainly territorial, which exacerbates the issue. Whenever a stray or neighbor's cat wanders through the yard he gets worked up. He routinely tries to cover his food.

I just don't know how else to curb his stress. I've spoken with the vet this morning and the cat does not have diabetes. There are some other medication options that I will discuss with him further.

Trouble is I have some bleeding hearts in the house. I had to stop the last prescription because "the cat didn't like it", and I couldn't always be home to administer it myself. Guess I have to phrase that it gets done, or the cat has to go.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:20 PM   #25
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
He still uses the litter box plenty. It's just that he has developed a behaviour issue where he gets stressed or worked up and pisses in the same 3 or 4 spots in the living room.
Can you take away the spots? Put something over them (temporarily) so he can't go there or will he just do it in an adjacent spot and not the litter?
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:20 PM   #26
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in the process of switching my cat's food over, I've been looking at a lot of different options online and I did see that Royal Canin offers a food that is a mix of Urinary diet/Calming formula. It says it's formulated for high stress cats. The urinary element would help keep the crystals at bay too. Might be worth a try.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:22 PM   #27
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Can you take away the spots? Put something over them so he can't go there or will he just do it in an adjacent spot and not the litter?
I blocked off the sides of the couch, but I can't block the front of either the couch or the recliner. The best I can do is put down "pee pads" if I don't want him going directly on the floor.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 07-25-2017, 02:22 PM   #28
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
I'm in the process of switching my cat's food over, I've been looking at a lot of different options online and I did see that Royal Canin offers a food that is a mix of Urinary diet/Calming formula. It says it's formulated for high stress cats. The urinary element would help keep the crystals at bay too. Might be worth a try.
It's what he is on now.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 02:27 PM   #29
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I had a vet tell me that cats are never well hydrated because they are desert animals, and are used to getting their moisture from their food.

She said male cats especially, because the shape of their plumbing, are really susceptible to urinary tract issues.

To prevent all this, it was recommended we feed with wet food as much as possible. Maybe worth a try? Our 11 year old luckily has avoided any issues so far following that advice.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #30
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's tough for sure. Wet food that's good quality is certainly more expensive and you are more likely to run into teeth problems, feeding only wet food.

You can't win
Old 07-25-2017, 03:00 PM   #31
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feed both. Wet, and an hour or 2 later, some dry for teeth cleaning.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 05:56 PM   #32
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I had a vet tell me that cats are never well hydrated because they are desert animals, and are used to getting their moisture from their food.

She said male cats especially, because the shape of their plumbing, are really susceptible to urinary tract issues.

To prevent all this, it was recommended we feed with wet food as much as possible. Maybe worth a try? Our 11 year old luckily has avoided any issues so far following that advice.
Yup, we have been encouraged to mix in wet food once or twice a day. Thing is that he won't touch any kind of wet food, special or otherwise.

He isn't even into tuna, salmon, or any of the other things my previous cat went crazy for.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 07-25-2017, 07:08 PM   #33
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Yup, we have been encouraged to mix in wet food once or twice a day. Thing is that he won't touch any kind of wet food, special or otherwise.

He isn't even into tuna, salmon, or any of the other things my previous cat went crazy for.
Ours is the same. All my older cats would get mad if you changed there food. This guy, he needs something different every day. What does he think he is... people!? Some of the big pet food stores let you just mix and match and make a case, so you still get the discounts. We also feed dental kibble to try keep those alright.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:50 AM   #34
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Step 1: Put cat down

Step 2: Buy a Dog
Step 3: Buy a Siamese cat to shred new Dog to pieces

Step 4: Give new Cat a treat
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:17 AM   #35
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

my sympathy to you. it really sucks. I also have a tuxedo cat. they're awesome.
sorry we couldn't be of more help. hope you can get it figured out.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #36
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

it is sometime hard to imagine that a cat is stressed - I mean it has to be hard deciding where to sleep for the next 6 hours, then go and get something to eat, then find a new place to sleep.......
Old 07-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #37
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
it is sometime hard to imagine that a cat is stressed - I mean it has to be hard deciding where to sleep for the next 6 hours, then go and get something to eat, then find a new place to sleep.......
No kidding. I'm kind of at my wits end because apart from the occasional animal in his yard, he doesn't really have anything to stress about. We give him plenty of attention and affection, we clean up after him, make sure his food is full and water is fresh, ensure he has new toys and catnip on a regular basis.

If it is all about being territorial there isn't anything we can do for him in that department. He's either going to learn how to deal with it constructively (stop pissing inappropriately) or we have to find him a new home.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 08-11-2017, 11:39 AM   #38
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

UPDATE: He had his first 'accident' last night after just under 3 weeks of nothing. It was all caused by a stray cat wandering around the back yard.

I was wondering if introducing another cat into the house would curb his territorial behaviour? Since he's a very social cat I've long considered getting him a buddy.

Anyone with insight or experience with this kind of approach?

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 08-11-2017, 11:58 AM   #39
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
UPDATE: He had his first 'accident' last night after just under 3 weeks of nothing. It was all caused by a stray cat wandering around the back yard.

I was wondering if introducing another cat into the house would curb his territorial behaviour? Since he's a very social cat I've long considered getting him a buddy.

Anyone with insight or experience with this kind of approach?
I'd be cautious with that. I had a cat once that caterwauled all the time so we thought she was lonely. We bought another one to keep the first one company and it didn't help. Ended up having to give the first one away. I think once cats start with a bad behaviour, that's it. Personally, I wouldn't accept any animal urinating or defecating in my house. I think it might be time for a difficult decision for you guys .
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:39 PM   #40
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I'd be cautious with that. I had a cat once that caterwauled all the time so we thought she was lonely. We bought another one to keep the first one company and it didn't help. Ended up having to give the first one away. I think once cats start with a bad behaviour, that's it. Personally, I wouldn't accept any animal urinating or defecating in my house. I think it might be time for a difficult decision for you guys .
Appreciate the input, but with due respect I'm aware of your detachment with animals. It's that attitude that leads to so many abandoned and surrendered pets.

He's improving, we've narrowed down the trigger, and it's time to take further measures to address that issue.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post: