Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 12:40 AM   #1741
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well hopefully I'll wake up to a Neal signing. Will make this upcoming team very interesting for the season.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 03:05 AM   #1742
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartsengi View Post
Mike Commodore as the insiderrrr also said Tavares wouldn't sign in Toronto after sitting in a room with Babcock for 15 minutes. Neal isn't coming here.
Not sure if you are aware or not but Commodore blames Babcock for almost scuttling and derailing his career.

When we acquired Commodore he was a prospect with an alleged reputation. Few teams wanted to touch him because of the reputation. It was Babcock that made the comments from Babcock's time coaching him in the minors. I even recall comments from Commodore's father about Babcock.

So his statement about Tavares and Babcock was a swipe based on his experience with Babcock. I read it the same way I read posts about Brouwer in the Brouwer thread by people who just want Brouwer gone for any reason. When it comes to Babcock, Commodore has a chip on his shoulder. I don't blame him for it. I just take anything Commodore says about Babcock with a grain of salt.

Now, I also read the comments about Neal as a bit of a joke. Possibly him chirping a buddy on a golf trip, but also putting a good word in about the City and how awesome it gets on a playoff run. I have no doubt that if they were on a trip together that at some point the question of "hey, you played in Calgary, what is it like?" Would come up.

So I think the statement might have legs.

Last edited by killer_carlson; 07-02-2018 at 03:08 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to killer_carlson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #1743
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
How can anyone say the Flames have stood still? They’ve made more changes than the vast majority of teams
Until they signed Neal all the moves were either for support players or guys whose production probably wont make up for the lost production of Hamilton and Ferland. Maybe Noah turns into Dougie 2.0 but most of the expert commentary says not to expect similar offense. Lindholm is being groomed as a 2 way player by Peters, so I'd expect him to score fewer than Ferland. for a team that needed to use the offseason to find some offense that wasn't a great start.

Prior to Landing their big free-agent target I didn't really see any of the guys picked up in free agency as solving the scoring issue that this team had last year. The other guys are low-risk gambles that creates competition for spots on lines maybe, I doubt that their production is much better than the guys that they replace although they might beat them in other metrics like faceoff percentage for example.

That to me is not progress. That's what I meant by standing still unless they signed him (or someone like him), one step back one step forward.

Neal is progress. he is as certifiable a goal-scorer as you can get in the NHL. They got Neal so I'm happy. Maybe Skinner would have been even better but I imagine at his age the trade and contract is going to be a lot bigger.

Last edited by Badgers Nose; 07-02-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #1744
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere. Treliving was just on the fan. He was asked if he is still expecting to be busy. Said a few interesting things.
  1. Has a two way deal yet to be announced. Said in relation to not qualifying some of their players in the AHL.
  2. Flames have more players then chairs. May mean an opportunity to do something.
  3. Looking if it is possible to add depth to defense.

Ultimately he said they are taking a step back and evaluating where they are at. But reading between the lines we could see a depth D move and possibly a forward or two moved in a transaction.
The Following User Says Thank You to kehatch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 03:00 PM   #1745
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
Sorry if this is posted elsewhere. Treliving was just on the fan. He was asked if he is still expecting to be busy. Said a few interesting things.
  1. Has a two way deal yet to be announced. Said in relation to not qualifying some of their players in the AHL.
  2. Flames have more players then chairs. May mean an opportunity to do something.
  3. Looking if it is possible to add depth to defense.

Ultimately he said they are taking a step back and evaluating where they are at. But reading between the lines we could see a depth D move and possibly a forward or two moved in a transaction.
Bolded was the Buddy Robinson signing.

Yeah there's some fat to trim in maybe one or two players.

d depth is still needed on the farm. they lost a lot of roster down there.

I hope they take a step back and get space made for hopefully two long term deals for Lindholm and Hanifin.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #1746
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartsengi View Post
Mike Commodore as the insiderrrr also said Tavares wouldn't sign in Toronto after sitting in a room with Babcock for 15 minutes. Neal isn't coming here.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #1747
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Dammit, was gonna try and get some sleep before waking up at 7 for the World Cup. Not gonna happen now

Don't worry you can catch up on sleep during the world cup.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 03:07 PM   #1748
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Until they signed Neal all the moves were either for support players(...)
Prior to Landing their big free-agent target I didn't really see any of the guys picked up in free agency as solving the scoring issue that this team had last year(...) I doubt that their production is much better than the guys that they replace(...)
Just replying to these points. The lack of goals was specifically the result of having a putrid bottom 6. There were a handful of guys who couldn't even crack 5 goals and none of them look to crack this roster now. Stajan: 4, gone, Hathaway: 4, doesn't crack this roster, Lazar: 2, doesn't crack this roster. I'm too lazy to look up anyone else but the upgrades yesterday were totally beneficial.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:18 PM   #1749
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Don't worry you can catch up on sleep during the world cup.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:03 PM   #1750
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

The drama!!!!

Chris Nichols
@NicholsOnHockey
Friedman: "I had a general manager say to me yesterday... 'I will bet you my house that the Islanders are going to offer-sheet someone in Toronto.'" #Isles #Leafs #TMLtalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 04:07 PM   #1751
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
The drama!!!!

Chris Nichols
@NicholsOnHockey
Friedman: "I had a general manager say to me yesterday... 'I will bet you my house that the Islanders are going to offer-sheet someone in Toronto.'" #Isles #Leafs #TMLtalk
That would be rather immature of NYI... no sense in acting like a baby now; Tavares chose to follow a childhood dream after affording ample chances for the organization to get their @#%# together. Toronto takes the picks and walks away or matches and walks away; Islanders look foolish to the league and/or mortgage their future for one player out of spite.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:07 PM   #1752
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The drama!!!!

Chris Nichols
@NicholsOnHockey
Leafs better not let Matthews and Marner get to an offer sheet stage.

Anyone know if they will be eligible for an offer sheet soon?
Old 07-02-2018, 04:07 PM   #1753
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
The drama!!!!

Chris Nichols
@NicholsOnHockey
Seems stupid to start a feud with the most powerful organization when you don’t even have your own building.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:07 PM   #1754
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
That would be rather immature of NYI... no sense in acting like a baby now; Tavares chose to follow a childhood dream after affording ample chances for the organization to get their @#%# together. Toronto takes the picks and walks away or matches and walks away; Islanders look foolish to the league and/or mortgage their future for one player out of spite.
There might be more to it than just Tavares. Could be something there with Lou.

Also, I think the Isles fan base would really want that. Can't imagine the fan base has much love for the Leafs, if they had any to begin with.

I think it's all good, it's sports and its entertainment.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:08 PM   #1755
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Leafs better not let Matthews and Marner get to an offer sheet stage.

Anyone know if they will be eligible for an offer sheet soon?
Next July 1.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:08 PM   #1756
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The drama!!!!

Chris Nichols
@NicholsOnHockey
How amazing would a 7x13 Austin Mathews offer sheet be. Followed by a 7x8 or 9 to Marner or Nylander if Mathews signs with TO. Not because it's good for the league, but the rivalry would ratchet up significantly.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:18 PM   #1757
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it would be awesome.

NYI just lost a franchise player, why shouldn't they use that salary to offer sheet a player ? its from Toronto even better?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 04:20 PM   #1758
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

That would be amazing
Old 07-02-2018, 04:22 PM   #1759
Baaarrden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What year would the compensating draft picks be from? The islanders only have their first, our second, and their fifth, sixth, and seventh round picks in 2019.

Edit: I suppose assuming that the offer sheet isn't in the highest bracket, in which case they would have the necessary 4 first round picks.

Last edited by Baaarrden; 07-02-2018 at 04:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baaarrden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 04:27 PM   #1760
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baaarrden View Post
What year would the compensating draft picks be from? The islanders only have their first, our second, and their fifth, sixth, and seventh round picks in 2019.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...ayers-get-one/

NYI would be on the hook for 4st, as Matthews (for example) would be north of 10million.

but an American, not a fan of Babcock (seemingly) and living in NYC?

doesn't seem totally impossible
Closed Thread