Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2021, 02:08 PM   #2061
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The inclusion in the article about how Barstool is helping small businesses is weird. While admirable that's not what the article is about, and therefore has a bit of a stench of "Yeah Barstool may be sexist but look at all this other wonderful stuff they are doing!"
Similar arguments were brought forward in this thread:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=182723

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 02:12 PM   #2062
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just find it odd that instead of Miller ignoring the question or simply saying 'no' or 'they haven't asked me' he instead takes it as an opportunity to get on his soap box.

It'd be like someone saying they don't want to be a guest voice on The Simpsons because they hate Fox News.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 02:23 PM   #2063
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I just find it odd that instead of Miller ignoring the question or simply saying 'no' or 'they haven't asked me' he instead takes it as an opportunity to get on his soap box.

It'd be like someone saying they don't want to be a guest voice on The Simpsons because they hate Fox News.
If that's his opinion why shouldn't he be free to express it if he wants to. He's entitled to his opinion and his soapbox.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 02:30 PM   #2064
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a couple of stomach churners that cause me to side with Miller quite a bit more:
https://variety.com/2020/digital/new...os-1234693013/
https://variety.com/2020/digital/new...rd-1234696878/

If I were spittin' chicklets I'd be hard pressed to defend this guy.. but they picked their battle and I've pretty much lost all respect for them now
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 02:32 PM   #2065
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

As a reporter/ journalist I would think that Miller would be in support of the speech and behavioral freedoms Barstool allows it's employees. I also find it odd that he is essentially burning a bridge here which is something not often seen in the sports media industry. I wonder what he thinks of Bob McKenzie and his many other colleagues that have been guests on Spittin Chiclets and the many other Barstool associated shows. That being said I respect him for speaking out and standing up for what he believes.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 03-17-2021 at 02:37 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 02:33 PM   #2066
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
If that's his opinion why shouldn't he be free to express it if he wants to. He's entitled to his opinion and his soapbox.
Just separate the show from the network, if you can't do that then you're pretty dull

I think Portnoy is a massive dickhead, I still enjoy Spittin Chiclets.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:35 PM   #2067
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
As a reporter/ journalist I would think that Miller would be in support of the speech and behavioral freedoms Barstool allows it's employees. I also find it odd that he is essentially burning a bridge here which is something not often seen in the sports media industry. I wonder what he thinks of Bob McKenzie and his many other colleagues that have been guest on Spittin Chiclets and the many other Barstool associated shows.
As a human being (perhaps a father) I understand why he'd answer honestly that he thinks they are gross.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 02:37 PM   #2068
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The inclusion in the article about how Barstool is helping small businesses is weird. While admirable that's not what the article is about, and therefore has a bit of a stench of "Yeah Barstool may be sexist but look at all this other wonderful stuff they are doing!"
That article is pretty awful and short on details. A google search will yield a little more information.

I’m surprised at how mainstream Portnoy has become, including having a take on the reddit fueled short selling squeeze. They might be better off staying in their lane, which frankly has some elements that make me a little uncomfortable.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 02:38 PM   #2069
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
That article is pretty awful and short on details. A google search will yield a little more information.

I’m surprised at how mainstream Portnoy has become, including having a take on the reddit fueled short selling squeeze. They might be better off staying in their lane, which frankly has some elements that make me a little uncomfortable.
Well, we are talking about a guy that put out his own sex tape after all. Anything to get his name out there
Old 03-17-2021, 02:42 PM   #2070
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gord Miller vs Barstool sure is an easy side to pick.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:44 PM   #2071
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Just separate the show from the network, if you can't do that then you're pretty dull

I think Portnoy is a massive dickhead, I still enjoy Spittin Chiclets.
I enjoy Chiclets as well - but it’s still a juvenile, crass show and the stuff you say on that show can get you fired. Ask Roenick.

I wouldn’t come within a thousand miles of shows like that if I were in Gord Miller’s position.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:47 PM   #2072
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

About a year and a half ago a friend told me to tune into Spittin Chiclets and really pressed how great it was. I loaded a couple of episodes up for a listen and it didn't take me long to figure out I didn't like it. The interviews were really good as these guys have a knack of talking to hockey people because they directly come from that world, but the other 80% just felt like cringey early 2000s frat boy jock talk. I decided I didn't want to wade through Bissonnette and Whitney waving their dicks around about their sexual conquests just to get to the interviews. Of course, to each their own.

Miller's initial response to an open Q&A was pretty innocuous, and after Barstool fans went after him for it I really didn't have an issue with his explanation. This has long been a complaint of Portnoy and his platform. What I do have a problem with is Portnoy acting like some kind of victim and sic'ing his fans and employees on Miller. The attacks on Miller's 16 year old daughter are particularly disgusting.

If that is the kind of audience you attract maybe it's time to look inwards?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 02:50 PM   #2073
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I enjoy Chiclets as well - but it’s still a juvenile, crass show and the stuff you say on that show can get you fired. Ask Roenick.

I wouldn’t come within a thousand miles of shows like that if I were in Gord Miller’s position.
Oh sure and that'd be totally fair, but that's not what he said. He said he didn't want to go on because of the network they're on.

It'd be like one of us saying they hate the show because it's on barstool. It's all fine and well to dislike the show, it's not for everyone and I can see why, but to hate it because of behind the scenes business affiliations that you wouldn't even notice if you didn't look for them just seems silly to me. Especially if you go around announcing that fact like a giant self pat on the back

Last edited by btimbit; 03-17-2021 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:13 PM   #2074
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

These podcast/internet shows with ex-players are going to be the future of sports media, or at least gobble up a big chunk of the market share. Chiclets gets great guests and gets more out of them than any of the middle aged nerds that constitute most of the sports media in this country because as ex-NHL guys they understand their interviewees way way better. Chiclets is the only hockey media I consume, besides the occasional show on the Fan for flames specific news, but this entire thread is basically about how terrible all our radio and reporter personalities in this city are. Even on our local shows, the biggest talent IMO is Warrener because as a funny ex-player he brings so much more to the table than guys like Boomer or steinberg who are just broadcasters. I think Chiclets has had Gaudreau on the program three times and they got orders of magnitude more out of him than an entire 7 seasons of lazy boiler plate questions from Francis and others. Same with Tkachuk and Hanifin. Their interview last year with the Tkachuk family was great content and it consistently puts anything Sportsnet or TSN churns out to absolute shame. I'm actually surprised people from those networks are even allowed to go on given how thoroughly Chiclets is eating their lunch.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 03:19 PM   #2075
Knut

Exp:

The Whitney/Bissonette talking about banging chicks has largely left the show as well in the past year.

As for the Barstool thing. I am not a fan of some of the stuff that Barstool does and their fans can be downright ruthless. It doesn't mean I can't get entertainment from one of their podcasts.

They have a huge podcast network, lots of advertisers as well. It makes sense for a podcast to be on their network as well.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 03:22 PM   #2076
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
That "article" (why are they just repeating the tweets?) made me think of this tweet:
https://twitter.com/user/status/464802196060917762
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:28 PM   #2077
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a hard time seeing anything wrong with Miller's statement. How is he cancelling anything? He won't go on because of its perceived misogyny. Up to Barstool to prove him wrong, and they are failing miserably.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 03:28 PM   #2078
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
The Whitney/Bissonette talking about banging chicks has largely left the show as well in the past year.

As for the Barstool thing. I am not a fan of some of the stuff that Barstool does and their fans can be downright ruthless. It doesn't mean I can't get entertainment from one of their podcasts.

They have a huge podcast network, lots of advertisers as well. It makes sense for a podcast to be on their network as well.
Whitney, being a married family guy was much lighter with the personal anecdotes about his interactions with the ladies then Biz. Bu yes its been toned down a lot overall. Biz is in a relationship now and still an employee of the Coyotes broadcast crew so he has good reason to hold back. Also now that hockey is going and they're only doing one show a week there is much less filler required.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:44 PM   #2079
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

What is the Venn Diagram for fans of Barstool, Joe Rogan, Howard Stern? Similar audiences?

I did not know much about Barstool before today.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 03:46 PM   #2080
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
What is the Venn Diagram for fans of Barstool, Joe Rogan, Howard Stern? Similar audiences?

I did not know much about Barstool before today.
I'm a fan of Rogan and Barstool, no idea who Howard Stern is though.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote