Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-07-2018, 01:36 PM   #1501
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
Thanks everyone for their feedback. I have made an appointment with Modern Golf for Friday - super pumped!
If they put you on a Trackman see if they will give you your numbers.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:54 PM   #1502
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder if TPC Fox Hollow will be open next week.

Supposed to be mid teens....
Old 03-10-2018, 04:07 AM   #1503
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One thing to remember when buying new clubs is each manufacturer offers a handful of stock shafts for free. Finding the right shaft is key to playing good.

Last edited by Kybb79; 03-10-2018 at 04:42 AM.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:27 PM   #1504
core_upt
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Any recommendations on lessons? I'm in the 95-102 range; I am capable of making shots, but lack the consistency to string it all together. I can't go another season of blowing up and wanting to toss my clubs in the lake.

Looking at Golftec right now as they have their March sale on. I've heard all good things, but it is a big dollar commitment (like over $1200).

I've done a few lessons with Bill Dredger at Non-Stop; he's super nice and helpful but I feel like maybe I need a fresh perspective?

Any insight on Grand Slam Academy?

I would ideally like a mix of indoor and outdoor time (if possible). Wouldn't mind a putting and short game session.

Recommendations?
core_upt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #1505
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been to Bill in the past. Nice guy like you said, but I wasn't a fan of how he taught, too much focused on the launch monitor. Felt like he wanted to change my everything. That said, he is one of the cheaper ways to get on a Trackman if that's your jam.

Look up Jerry Noga at NGA. He does indoor and outdoor. My experience with him was he worked with what I had to get me a little better instead of trying to overhaul my swing.

People who can afford GolfTec seem to really like it.

If you find a good putting guy in town let me know.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:16 PM   #1506
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Lots of good instructors around. As stated above NGA has good options. As does the Golf Canada Centre and Heritage Pointe teaching academy.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:55 PM   #1507
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Here is my annual plug for the Myrtle Beach World Am golf tourney. Early registration opens up tomorrow and it’s $525 for 4 tournament rounds with all food and drink from 6-9pm each night.

The tournament and flights to MB are the worst part when it comes to price, but accommodations and extra golf can be found at great prices. You also get a good gift bag at registration (Greg Norman polo, long sleeve/jacket, towel, $25 gift card to PGA superstore, balls, towel, tumbler, next belt etc.). I really think the value is there if you can hit the early registration.

We have met some great friends over the years at this tournament and winning a skin in your flight can be great. Payouts range from 350 to 2500 usd cash (all depends on entry and such).

There are over 3000 golfers in it so you are bound to meet some new friends. Would love to see a few more Albertans in the field as it’s just usually the 4-6 of us.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spetch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2018, 08:21 PM   #1508
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

You would do well to give Wes Heffernan some consideration. He teaches my son and my wife http://golfcanadacentre.ca/wes_heffernan/

I am currently at Golftec and have been pretty pleased but it is not an easy fix there. It's a step by step process and while it is effective some people don't like the time it takes to get to where they want you to be. (Tour Pro Swing). I went to Golftec to get rid of a 30 year slice and I have been able to do that but if you don't have major flaws or REALLY want to improve your game it might be better to look elsewhere.
Where is it you are blowing up? Off the tee? Approach? Short Game? Putting?

Wes can help you with all areas and he is an easy going guy who is fun to train with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by core_upt View Post
Any recommendations on lessons? I'm in the 95-102 range; I am capable of making shots, but lack the consistency to string it all together. I can't go another season of blowing up and wanting to toss my clubs in the lake.

Looking at Golftec right now as they have their March sale on. I've heard all good things, but it is a big dollar commitment (like over $1200).

I've done a few lessons with Bill Dredger at Non-Stop; he's super nice and helpful but I feel like maybe I need a fresh perspective?

Any insight on Grand Slam Academy?

I would ideally like a mix of indoor and outdoor time (if possible). Wouldn't mind a putting and short game session.

Recommendations?
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to prarieboy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2018, 09:54 PM   #1509
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Anyone have success booking some times for Kananaskis this morning? It seems like there are only 7AM or 3:30PM times available on weekends already.
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:07 PM   #1510
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin View Post
Anyone have success booking some times for Kananaskis this morning? It seems like there are only 7AM or 3:30PM times available on weekends already.
I booked a 121 time in a Sunday.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:08 PM   #1511
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought I did.
Got a confirmation email and everything.
Then later today I got an email asking me to contact the clubhouse.
I’m sure it got messed up somehow and that my times are gone.
Find out tomorrow I guess.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:59 PM   #1512
thatguy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
I thought I did.
Got a confirmation email and everything.
Then later today I got an email asking me to contact the clubhouse.
I’m sure it got messed up somehow and that my times are gone.
Find out tomorrow I guess.
I booked 2 times late evening and only got 1 email confirmation but both teetimes show up when i look at my reservations on the site. So now I'm wondering aswell.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:20 PM   #1513
core_upt
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post
Where is it you are blowing up? Off the tee? Approach? Short Game? Putting?
Off the tee:
Driver is wild. When it's good its 320; but it's usually a snap hook, or just dies in the ground. I typically hit my 3wood now as I have more control with it and can still get 260-280 straightish.

Approach - could use help with longer irons, just more consistency so I'm not fat or thin.

Short game - my scramble is pretty good, usually what saves me from total disaster. Still shank some wedge shots though.

Putting - I can alsmot always get the line, or the distance, rarely both. 2putt is standard, maybe 3 3putts a round.

I'll look at Golf Centre Canada. Price is more in line with what I can tell my wife I'm spending!

Any thoughts on 30 minute vs 60 minute. I feel like at 60 minutes I maybe forgetting the first half of the lesson. But maybe 30 minutes isn't long enough for things to click?
core_upt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:57 AM   #1514
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Looking for golf course recs in and around Mtl again! Or if anyone lives out here, playing partners...

I’m entering my second summer living out here, and want to get out as much as I can. My favourite course so far has been CGIM Ireland, there are tons I have yet to try.

Best part is I’ve found green fees much more affordable - even the courses up at Tremblant are well below $90 green fees, and most courses are around the $50-$60 mark even on weekends.

(As an example, the Stanley Thompson track at the Fairmont Montebello - about an hour outside of Mtl - is around $65 to play - little different than Banff Springs and Jasper!)

Last edited by AltaGuy; 03-14-2018 at 06:04 AM.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:41 PM   #1515
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by core_upt View Post
Off the tee:
Driver is wild. When it's good its 320; but it's usually a snap hook, or just dies in the ground. I typically hit my 3wood now as I have more control with it and can still get 260-280 straightish.

Approach - could use help with longer irons, just more consistency so I'm not fat or thin.

Short game - my scramble is pretty good, usually what saves me from total disaster. Still shank some wedge shots though.

Putting - I can alsmot always get the line, or the distance, rarely both. 2putt is standard, maybe 3 3putts a round.

I'll look at Golf Centre Canada. Price is more in line with what I can tell my wife I'm spending!

Any thoughts on 30 minute vs 60 minute. I feel like at 60 minutes I maybe forgetting the first half of the lesson. But maybe 30 minutes isn't long enough for things to click?
You sound a lot like me a couple of years ago. I was ready to quit due to frustration on the course but have spent a lot of time trying to improve my game and saw some real strides last year. I'd probably do 60 minutes but work on a couple of things, that's what Wes has my son doing. (He's 12)
They start on the swing with an iron and then move on to hit some drivers. After that they will work on Putting, chipping or sand. It's been really good and Wes is a very talented golfer.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:31 PM   #1516
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Costco's Kirkland Signature golf balls are back in stock. Need to have US shipping address.

https://m.costco.com/Kirkland-Signat...100310467.html
Back in stock again!!
Old 04-03-2018, 03:46 PM   #1517
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Can you only ship to a US address?
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:52 PM   #1518
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was the case last time. I didn't try to ship to Canada though.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:49 PM   #1519
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read that the balls suck now.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:47 AM   #1520
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to believe since nobody has actually played this last batch.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow