Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2022, 12:33 PM   #21
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
How do you prove it from a jail cell? Any kind of rehabilitation concept always relies on a degree of trust. I don’t see how that can be avoided.
Yeah, if you follow Zulu’s suggestion you either end up with a situation where everyone is out of jail and just on probation or where murders and rapists who don’t murder or rape anyone in jail go free while drunk drivers die in prison on account of never being able to prove their rehabilitation.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:03 PM   #22
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yeah, if you follow Zulu’s suggestion you either end up with a situation where everyone is out of jail and just on probation or where murders and rapists who don’t murder or rape anyone in jail go free while drunk drivers die in prison on account of never being able to prove their rehabilitation.
Hardly.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:05 PM   #23
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
How do you prove it from a jail cell? Any kind of rehabilitation concept always relies on a degree of trust. I don’t see how that can be avoided.
Do you think prisons are solely composed of cells? Do you think they may have recreation areas, libraries, common rooms, classrooms and counselling rooms where perhaps their sincerity in being rehabilitated could be evaluated in a controlled environment where they aren’t a danger to society? If only such places existed…
Old 06-27-2022, 04:06 PM   #24
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
We have a Minister of Justice/Attorney General. And we have a Department of Justice. It seems like those would be indicators of a Justice system?
Yeah, you can slap a name on anything you want. The results speak for themselves, there is rarely adequate Justice served in the legal system.
Old 06-27-2022, 04:13 PM   #25
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
Do you think prisons are solely composed of cells? Do you think they may have recreation areas, libraries, common rooms, classrooms and counselling rooms where perhaps their sincerity in being rehabilitated could be evaluated in a controlled environment where they aren’t a danger to society? If only such places existed…
In this setting, how do you evaluate whether someone who is ok with driving drunk has been rehabilitated to the point where they can demonstrate they aren't ok with driving drunk, other than "saying the right buzzwords."
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:28 PM   #26
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
In this setting, how do you evaluate whether someone who is ok with driving drunk has been rehabilitated to the point where they can demonstrate they aren't ok with driving drunk, other than "saying the right buzzwords."
Taking part in training, counselling, education? Showing remourse to the family?
Old 06-29-2022, 03:25 PM   #27
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
Taking part in training, counselling, education? Showing remourse to the family?

How do you judge a person convicted of a crime if they are ready to enter society again?

A drunk driver taking a course telling them not to drink really does nothing to prevent the issue in the future.

Second hand experience. A drunk driver who killed someone was paroled from prison after 8 months.

They drove him to the closest bus stop with a couple of hundred dollars in his pocket. He then went to the closest bar and got hammered. Stole a car at a gas station then was involved in a high speed pursuit.

He had taken all the courses to correct his habits. He was free for about 4 hours.

Knew another guy that was a drunk driver too. Killed 3 people 16 months in prison. He took those same courses as the other guy. This guy though was successful getting back into society. Was it the education that he got in prison that altered his mind?

Or was it the fact while in prison another drunk driver hit and killed his father? That was a different kind of education.

Drunk drivers get off way too easy.

I just think if you kill someone because of your actions there should be a minimum number of years served in prison. I put a much higher price on life than 8 months, or 16 months for three lives. Kill 3 get one free.

Best education is serving time.
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:11 AM   #28
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd like to see distracted driving start getting some tougher penalties too.
More people killed by someone who was texting and driving every year yet the fine for doing so is just over $100.00.

We all see it being done every day, I've witnessed countless red lights and stop signs being blown narrowly avoiding pedestrians on a weekly basis. Buddy of mine got hit from behind at a red light and the lady was doing just shy of 100k. His back is ruined, struggles to walk, loads of rehab and will never play sports again.

Lady got a fine, no jail time, no educational course on "driving better/habits" because its not considered a felony. #### needs to change ASAP.
Royle9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:14 AM   #29
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The penalty for distracted driving in Alberta is a $300 fine and 3 demerit points
https://www.alberta.ca/distracted-driving.aspx

But ya, I get your point. I see it so often, particularly while biking past lines of stopped vehicles.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 05:20 PM   #30
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://www.alberta.ca/distracted-driving.aspx

But ya, I get your point. I see it so often, particularly while biking past lines of stopped vehicles.
Was that meant to be green text?

Your on the road and you are passing stopped vehicles? If in a bike lane that is cool. If not please realize that is super dangerous and illegal.
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:35 PM   #31
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubeyr1 View Post

Your on the road and you are passing stopped vehicles? If in a bike lane that is cool. If not please realize that is super dangerous and illegal.
Pretty clear he said he was biking past vehicles.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:25 PM   #32
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
I'd like to see distracted driving start getting some tougher penalties too.
More people killed by someone who was texting and driving every year yet the fine for doing so is just over $100.00.

We all see it being done every day, I've witnessed countless red lights and stop signs being blown narrowly avoiding pedestrians on a weekly basis. Buddy of mine got hit from behind at a red light and the lady was doing just shy of 100k. His back is ruined, struggles to walk, loads of rehab and will never play sports again.

Lady got a fine, no jail time, no educational course on "driving better/habits" because its not considered a felony. #### needs to change ASAP.
For what it’s worth, a single distracted driving ticket is enough to be denied coverage for insurance. The actual fine itself is the least of your concerns at this point. They should just publicize this fact because it’s not well known.
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:35 PM   #33
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Separate bike lane up 10th street. There is usually a long line of cars waiting at 16th ave. Pretty easy to spot phone users as I roll past them.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:43 PM   #34
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Apologize for the derail, but I wanted to ask about this as I cycle a lot but not that often in an urban road setting.

So a cyclist, riding on the right side of a road, getting regularly passed by same direction traffic, must then refrain from passing any vehicles stopped at a red light? Do you expect that the cyclist should immediately stop and insert themselves into the stopped traffic? Or to just come to a stop while staying in the shoulder to avoid passing any traffic? As I write this it seems even more unlikely.

-do you have any reference to this law that specifically addresses cyclists?

If the point was you have to be careful because cars can be unpredictable, well that is true but that is always true. I’ve almost been hit by cars when I’m doing nothing but going straight on a road, defensive driving is a requirement for self preservation for a cyclist.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote