Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2022, 08:44 PM   #521
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaris View Post
Ya it’s like the 52% of the population that hasn’t gotten boosted are all stupid? We know my 2 doses that I got last year isn’t doing anything to stop the spread. Also having COVID twice is a more effective booster anyways (I’m ok with getting a mild cold).
We weren’t trying to stop spread.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:08 PM   #522
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
We weren't? The federal Liberals and other government officials were telling us otherwise:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1433903360734908418

Quote:
“Vaccines are our ticket to putting this pandemic behind us,” said Premier John Horgan. “So I call on all eligible unvaccinated British Columbians to roll up their sleeves to stop the spread, and help protect themselves, their loved ones and the people in their community. British Columbia has one of the strongest vaccination rates in Canada with 75% of eligible people now fully vaccinated, but there is still more work to do.”
Quote:
“Getting vaccinated keeps everyone in B.C. safe and stops the spread of COVID-19,” said Adrian Dix, Minister of Health.
https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0053-001659
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 10:36 PM   #523
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
We weren't? The federal Liberals and other government officials were telling us otherwise:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1433903360734908418

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0053-001659
Yea during Delta the purpose of vaccines and mandates was to stop spread. Once Omicron hit is was to prevent overwhelming hospitals
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 10:41 PM   #524
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ya it’s like the 52% of the population that hasn’t gotten boosted are all stupid? We know my 2 doses that I got last year isn’t doing anything to stop the spread. Also having COVID twice is a more effective booster anyways (I’m ok with getting a mild cold).
Again we have talked about your poor risk assessment before.

But yes, A large portion of Canadians are increasing their personal risk of death by not getting a 3rd Covid vaccine.

And can you please stop with the bull#### misinformation that having Covid is twice as effective booster. Your statement of booster be Covid effectiveness may be true but you have to be exposed to Covid first to get that protection. So you are implying that getting Covid as your booster reduces risk more than getting your vaccine as a booster. This is not the case.

Getting Covid and surviving may be better than a booster.

I don’t understand how a person who is clearly literate keeps making this same
Mistake over two years in
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 01:25 AM   #525
ikaris
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Again we have talked about your poor risk assessment before.

But yes, A large portion of Canadians are increasing their personal risk of death by not getting a 3rd Covid vaccine.

And can you please stop with the bull#### misinformation that having Covid is twice as effective booster. Your statement of booster be Covid effectiveness may be true but you have to be exposed to Covid first to get that protection. So you are implying that getting Covid as your booster reduces risk more than getting your vaccine as a booster. This is not the case.

Getting Covid and surviving may be better than a booster.

I don’t understand how a person who is clearly literate keeps making this same
Mistake over two years in
What I was saying is that I've had COVID twice, since being vaccinated, and I see no reason for me to get a booster. If you're someone who hasn't gotten COVID yet, and are older, or fat, etc. ya it probably makes sense to get the booster. Just stop mandating it for political reasons.

I think for about the last two weeks, we could see an opinion article in the media calling out the bull#### regarding how these mandates were still in place. Obviously removing the mandates was a political decision as if they really were basing it on science, it was known that these restrictions were not stopping the spread and were essentially just punishing a small subsection of people.

Also when considering this:

https://globalnews.ca/news/8919947/c...ed-definition/

It's complete nonsense, as it doesn't consider immunity gained through infection as well. This needs to go the way that flu vaccines do in that it's recommended but ultimately your choice, and not mandated. There are different risk profiles for people with different situations based on todays version of COVID it's mostly harmless for the majority.
ikaris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ikaris For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 01:26 AM   #526
ikaris
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
This was always the reason the mandates were put in place. I'm surprised that you think otherwise.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:22 AM   #527
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
This was always the reason the mandates were put in place. I'm surprised that you think otherwise.
Already answered, read the posts. I think people are tired of the hand holding required to get you through these conversations. Especially so when we’re at a point now where even the last restrictions are gone and life has returned to a pretty close version of normal for the majority of people.

Surely your life has to have enough meaning and things going on that you’re not still acting indignant about COVID on an internet message board, right?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:55 AM   #528
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

it's been the same argument for 27 months, but I really think he's close to changing his mind this time guys, just a couple more posts should do it
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:18 AM   #529
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t recall a COVID zero plan, it was to minimize and prolong hospital admissions so they could be manageable. But you guys hang onto tag lines all you want.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:10 AM   #530
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also having COVID twice is a more effective booster anyways (I’m ok with getting a mild cold).
Actually evidence is suggesting that that may not be the case at all. Multiple studies have come out in the last week that showed several things which call that into question:

-infection with Omicron after any previous exposure to COVID (either through prior infection or vaccination) doesn't provide a very robust immune response to Omicron after recovery. This likely explains why we're seeing more quick reinfections from Omicron and its associated variants than in prior waves.

-in particular, people infected with earlier variants had impaired cellular responses after an Omicron infection compared to vaccinated people (with no history of infection) who experienced breakthrough infections. In fact, those who were infected in the first wave and subsequently vaccinated saw essentially no boost at all after an Omicron infection and had an overall poorer response compared to vaccinated people who were not infected in prior waves.

-it's speculated that immune imprinting from prior infections is hindering the response to subsequent infections of different variants in a way that isn't been seen through repeated vaccinations.

On the other hand, we now have evidence that Moderna's multivalent booster as a 4th dose is effective at generating an enhanced response to Omicron. So taken together with the above, that would suggest that Omicron infection does not provide a more effective booster compared to vaccination, and obviously carries a much higher risk.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 05:08 PM   #531
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Actually evidence is suggesting that that may not be the case at all. Multiple studies have come out in the last week that showed several things which call that into question:

-infection with Omicron after any previous exposure to COVID (either through prior infection or vaccination) doesn't provide a very robust immune response to Omicron after recovery. This likely explains why we're seeing more quick reinfections from Omicron and its associated variants than in prior waves.

-in particular, people infected with earlier variants had impaired cellular responses after an Omicron infection compared to vaccinated people (with no history of infection) who experienced breakthrough infections. In fact, those who were infected in the first wave and subsequently vaccinated saw essentially no boost at all after an Omicron infection and had an overall poorer response compared to vaccinated people who were not infected in prior waves.

-it's speculated that immune imprinting from prior infections is hindering the response to subsequent infections of different variants in a way that isn't been seen through repeated vaccinations.

On the other hand, we now have evidence that Moderna's multivalent booster as a 4th dose is effective at generating an enhanced response to Omicron. So taken together with the above, that would suggest that Omicron infection does not provide a more effective booster compared to vaccination, and obviously carries a much higher risk.
Is this multivalent booster from Moderna what people will automatically get? My parents got their 2nd booster (4th shot) and it was Moderna. Curious.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 06:15 PM   #532
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Is this multivalent booster from Moderna what people will automatically get? My parents got their 2nd booster (4th shot) and it was Moderna. Curious.
The multivalent Moderna being tested won't be submitted for approval from what I understand. Instead Moderna will use that data and the results for submission of a new updated multivalent vaccine sometime down the road.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 08:03 PM   #533
ikaris
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post

As I understood it, this is regarding previous infection from a non-Omicron variant whereas if you never had COVID until Omicron, natural immunity gained from being infected from Omicron was still effective, especially against severe outcomes. It does seem though a higher frequency of reinfections are occurring in this wave (I’ve experienced it myself). I guess what I’m saying, does it matter? We get colds all the time anyways.

In this study, it seemed the most ineffective protection was people who had only been vaccinated twice. The effectiveness was similar when looking at vaccinated and previously infected, or boosted.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2203965
Old 06-16-2022, 07:32 AM   #534
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As I understood it, this is regarding previous infection from a non-Omicron variant whereas if you never had COVID until Omicron, natural immunity gained from being infected from Omicron was still effective, especially against severe outcomes. It does seem though a higher frequency of reinfections are occurring in this wave (I’ve experienced it myself). I guess what I’m saying, does it matter? We get colds all the time anyways.

In this study, it seemed the most ineffective protection was people who had only been vaccinated twice. The effectiveness was similar when looking at vaccinated and previously infected, or boosted.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2203965
Sounds like a pretty good reason for everyone to get a third dose.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 05:44 PM   #535
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't have a link but read an article out of the UK that officials are very concerned the latest COVID cases seem to show more severe respiratory disease, like the original strains.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:24 AM   #536
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Don't have a link but read an article out of the UK that officials are very concerned the latest COVID cases seem to show more severe respiratory disease, like the original strains.
Here is an article talking about how the BA4 and BA5 variants are favoring infecting lung tissues like the original strain, also England at a million cases.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-data-suggests

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ses-in-england

just the first links I found, I know nothing about the guardian.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:57 AM   #537
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alberta discontinuing bi-weekly press conferences/updates completely and will change how reporting is done the fall.

Upcoming changes to how public health officials monitor COVID-19, which are supposed to make things more sustainable, will affect the public data dashboard later this summer, Hinshaw said.

"In the fall, Alberta Health will change its COVID reporting so it aligns with that of its influenza dashboard, showing how the two respiratory illnesses are spreading, she added.

The stoppage of regular in-person updates is part of this transition, Hinshaw said.

"We're entering a phase of the pandemic where our response can be de-escalated, while we remain vigilant and prepared to respond to new variants that may drive another wave of cases and hospital admissions," Copping said Wednesday."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...date-1.6498006
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 12:16 PM   #538
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't need the press conferences, but knowing the current level in the community is important to the vulnerable to make decisions about what may or may not be safe at the time. Hopefully at least wastewater is accessible and updated.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:25 PM   #539
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

My wife's luck has finally run out today. After going through the whole pandemic without covid and made it through my bout with it earlier this year without so much as a cough, she is now extremely sick and barely able to move. It came quite suddenly. Will see how long it lasts for her.

On a side note, my complications finally nearly all subsided last few weeks, but it took about 5 months. Just over a month ago it was still so bad I ended up going to the hospital as I thought I had pneumonia, prescribed steroids and a puffer which eventually cleared it up as it wouldn't on its own. It will be interesting to see if I get it again from her.

Triple vaccinated (moderna / 2x pfizer) and me as well. Even the 'invincible' ones like my wife eventually get it.

Perhaps if you get the new multivalent moderna vaccine when it is out in a year or two, there may be a real point where you can be truly protected from omicron, but at this point you just roll the dice each time you are out.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:17 PM   #540
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
People who get COVID-19 have a greater risk of developing diabetes up to a year later, even after a mild SARS-CoV-2 infection, compared with those who never had the disease, a massive study1 of almost 200,000 people shows.

The research, published in The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology earlier this month, is one of a growing number of studies2 showing that COVID-19 can increase a person’s risk of diabetes, months after infection.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-00912-y