Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2022, 05:27 PM   #341
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I'm not sure if this is interesting or if it is something significant or worthy of taking note of but the Covid hospitalization rate in Alberta is now the highest for the group with 3 doses and is outpacing the unvaccinated group.
100% hospitalizations by vaccinated individuals is the goal.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2022, 05:50 PM   #342
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is interesting or if it is something significant or worthy of taking note of but the Covid hospitalization rate in Alberta is now the highest for the group with 3 doses and is outpacing the unvaccinated group.
Where are you getting this from? I was intrigued so I went to the Alberta COVID info site. Across the board, hospitalization rate per 100k is significantly higher for unvaxxed vs. 3 dosers.

For example, in the 40-49 age range per 100k, the numbers are 38 vs. 339 (triple vaxxed vs non-vaxxed).

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place or the data is old?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Captain Otto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:02 PM   #343
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
Where are you getting this from? I was intrigued so I went to the Alberta COVID info site. Across the board, hospitalization rate per 100k is significantly higher for unvaxxed vs. 3 dosers.

For example, in the 40-49 age range per 100k, the numbers are 38 vs. 339 (triple vaxxed vs non-vaxxed).

Presumably he's looking at Table 2 which shows that 47.6% of those hospitalized have 3 doses (vs. 22.53% who are unvaccinated). Of course that completely ignores how many are in each group or the demographics of each group.

As you saw yourself, when you do it per capita and by age, the benefit is abundantly clear over the last 120 days (unvaccinated hospitalization rate vs 3 doses):

12-29: 8x higher
30-39: 5x higher
40-49: 9x higher
50-59: 8x higher
60-69: 21x higher
70-79: 20x higher
80+: 4x higher

And of course that includes incidental hospitalizations. And even within each age group the 3 dose group will tend to be more vulnerable. And the unvaccinated group isn't immunologically naive so there would be protection from prior infection for a chunk of them. All of those factors tilt things even more in favor of vaccination.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2022, 06:06 PM   #344
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're damn-near on par with each other, but as opendoor points out that isn't really a good thing for the unvaccinated should you dig into the numbers behind the numbers.

Hospitalized / 100k vaccinated population
Three doses: 32.71* / 100k
Two doses: 16.41 / 100k
One dose: 19.16 / 100k
Unvaccinated: 31.67 / 100k

There is nearly double the population with at least three doses as there is unvaccinated population (1,638,473 versus 833,567). The age demographics that are highly represented in the "3 or more doses" group tend to be much older, so you're comparing a population that is already at greater risk of being hospitalized against an unvaccinated population that skews younger and thus is inherently more resilient against being hospitalized by COVID-19. Table 3.

*This is calculated off the population of those with at least three doses, meaning it includes fourth dose recipients too. As Alberta Health don't appear to be showing fourth dose recipients separately in the hospitalization numbers, I believe this to be the correct value. However, if you subtract fourth dose recipients, it's 33.82 / 100k for those hospitalized with three doses.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:15 PM   #345
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post

I was looking at the summary data that a user on Reddit has been providing for a long time. Maybe he has been aggregating the data wrong but someone would have pointed that out by now:
https://www.reddit.com/r/alberta/com...0_7_day_total/

Hospitalization per 100k for three doses is 32.7. unvaccinated is 31.8.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:51 PM   #346
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I was more referring to the strict lockdowns to try and contain the spread. I don't think it makes sense now though with vaccines.

Taiwan never did a strict lockdown, not at any point. The closest we came was closing restaurants to dine-in traffic and limiting the size of indoor gatherings for two months or so.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 07:07 PM   #347
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was looking at the summary data that a user on Reddit has been providing for a long time. Maybe he has been aggregating the data wrong but someone would have pointed that out by now:

The median age for people with 3 doses in Alberta is about 55 years old; for the unvaccinated the median age is about 13 years old.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2022, 07:23 PM   #348
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
The median age for people with 3 doses in Alberta is about 55 years old; for the unvaccinated the median age is about 13 years old.
I have seen variations on this on social media several times, and as opendoor points out, it's because the unvaccinated are predominantly youth, and that throws off the statistics.

Below is what you want to look at, broken out by age group. Even in the 12-29 age group, the unvaccinated are 8 times more likely to be hospitalized than the triple vaccinated.

https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-1...ccine-outcomes

Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:54 PM   #349
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is actually me. As the others have pointed out, it is a bit of an age distribution difference.

For the main post that I use, it's a very simple metric. That is, it takes the number of people in the group, the number of hospitalized in the group, and determines the rate per 100k.

I actually do keep a more age-based distribution up to date (which I find a bit too big to fit in those summary posts). It's a figure I personally find more interesting.
Old 04-20-2022, 11:43 PM   #350
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Holy ####, the /u/kirant!! You are doing great work man.
Flames0910 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2022, 01:04 AM   #351
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw a video from a guy I follow on YouTube about his experience so far during the Shanghai lockdowns

activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 02:39 PM   #352
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I don't want to actually have to read any anti-vaxxer material. If someone can provide the gist of what they are saying, it would be appreciated. But, what's the rationale behind the third dose supposedly causing more hospitalizations? It weakens the immunity? It creates a harsher reaction to the virus, which is what's actually causing hospitalization?
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 02:51 PM   #353
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I don't want to actually have to read any anti-vaxxer material. If someone can provide the gist of what they are saying, it would be appreciated. But, what's the rationale behind the third dose supposedly causing more hospitalizations? It weakens the immunity? It creates a harsher reaction to the virus, which is what's actually causing hospitalization?
It basically boils down to this:
Quote:
The most likely to be hospitalized age groups are the most vaccinated, and the least likely to be hospitalized age groups are either ineligible for vaccination or vaccinated at a very low rate. If you compare people of similar age (as Alberta's breakdown that Nancy posted above does) the effect is abundantly clear; people with 3 doses are significantly less likely to end up in hospital with COVID than people with fewer (or no) doses.
Old 04-22-2022, 06:09 PM   #354
ikaris
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Presumably he's looking at Table 2 which shows that 47.6% of those hospitalized have 3 doses (vs. 22.53% who are unvaccinated). Of course that completely ignores how many are in each group or the demographics of each group.

As you saw yourself, when you do it per capita and by age, the benefit is abundantly clear over the last 120 days (unvaccinated hospitalization rate vs 3 doses):

12-29: 8x higher
30-39: 5x higher
40-49: 9x higher
50-59: 8x higher
60-69: 21x higher
70-79: 20x higher
80+: 4x higher

And of course that includes incidental hospitalizations. And even within each age group the 3 dose group will tend to be more vulnerable. And the unvaccinated group isn't immunologically naive so there would be protection from prior infection for a chunk of them. All of those factors tilt things even more in favor of vaccination.
So how do we differentiate this data from a population based level versus comorbidities and obesity when considering each age group and hospitalizations? Is that not extremely relevant when considering personal risk? Is this type of data available anywhere?

For example, I would be interested to know the benefit multiple (if any) for a healthy, non-obese, person in each age group when considered vaccinated versus not to understand the personal benefit for the vaccine. This is especially relevant for people under 39.
ikaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:38 AM   #355
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It basically boils down to this:The most likely to be hospitalized age groups are the most vaccinated, and the least likely to be hospitalized age groups are either ineligible for vaccination or vaccinated at a very low rate. If you compare people of similar age (as Alberta's breakdown that Nancy posted above does) the effect is abundantly clear; people with 3 doses are significantly less likely to end up in hospital with COVID than people with fewer (or no) doses.

I am thinking he wants to get the Anti Vaxxer side without having to take a deep dive into the Anti VAX pool.
Old 04-25-2022, 10:53 AM   #356
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
I have seen variations on this on social media several times, and as opendoor points out, it's because the unvaccinated are predominantly youth, and that throws off the statistics.

Below is what you want to look at, broken out by age group. Even in the 12-29 age group, the unvaccinated are 8 times more likely to be hospitalized than the triple vaccinated.

https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-1...ccine-outcomes

So, if the uptake of third doses are less in the younger population, and the still existing mandates only make the distinction between people vaccinated with two doses and people unvaxxed with none, is it safe to say that for arguments that effect most people the line should be drawn between the two dose vaccinated and the unvaxxed? That is the official line for employment and travel (two doses instead of three).

It also looks like the current culprit for hospitalizations during Omicron, BA2 and beyond are the unvaxxed aged 60 and older.

At this point we might be better served to direct mandates and vitriol towards that specific group instead of generally the unvaxxed. It seems like a waste of energy and resources.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:52 PM   #357
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningYears View Post
I am thinking he wants to get the Anti Vaxxer side without having to take a deep dive into the Anti VAX pool.
Yes. Although maybe there is no logic to their argument. I definitely don't want to even put my toe into their madness and do any "research"
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:21 AM   #358
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Some COVID-19 infections presenting with GI symptoms only, such as diarrhea only or vomiting and diarrhea.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8800394/a...stro-symptoms/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 10:06 AM   #359
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

That’s interesting. We had what appeared to be a GI bug go through day home and most of our friend’s kids the past few weeks. We did a rapid test for our daughter, but it was negative and she was better within 24 hours.

It certainly is crazy how many other cold and flu bugs are out there right now with everything opened up. I have two friends at work that have been completely floored by a bug, but they have tested negative every day for 5 days. One has even lost her taste and smell, but still hasn’t got a positive rapid test.

Another colleague did test positive and can’t seem to get over her symptoms. She’s past 10 days and still is feeling very sick, which is causing some issues for our employer’s COVID protocol. They certainly seem to want her back in the office despite her not feeling well and being symptomatic.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 10:35 AM   #360
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
It certainly is crazy how many other cold and flu bugs are out there right now with everything opened up. I have two friends at work that have been completely floored by a bug, but they have tested negative every day for 5 days. One has even lost her taste and smell, but still hasn’t got a positive rapid test.
It's probably safe to assume they (or at least the one who lost taste/smell) have COVID. I know several people who have tested negative for 5-6 days before getting a positive. And I know of multiple others who never tested positive on rapid tests even while doing them every day for 7+ days despite having an obvious epidemiological link (i.e. family of 5 all have symptoms, 4 of the 5 test positive, and the 5th repeatedly tests negative despite having the same symptoms as everyone else).