Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2022, 12:03 PM   #241
soreshins
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone had “aerophagia” from your CPAP? I was up for about 4 hours last night with trapped wind in my stomach. Sore as hell. Never had it before and apparently it’s common with CPAP if pressure is set too high. I’ve only google diagnosed it so could be completely wrong of course.
soreshins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:12 PM   #242
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I assume that's 88 events a night? That would be absurdly high over an hour. I was at 24 events/hour and that was deemed moderate and anything over 30 is considered severe.
88 per hour is correct (88.2 to be exact). I'm actuallly looking at the sleep study now as I am scanning this all to my insurance company. It's at the extreme end but defintiely not unheard of.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:22 PM   #243
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soreshins View Post
Anyone had “aerophagia” from your CPAP? I was up for about 4 hours last night with trapped wind in my stomach. Sore as hell. Never had it before and apparently it’s common with CPAP if pressure is set too high. I’ve only google diagnosed it so could be completely wrong of course.

I used to have it quite often during the first few months, but not to the extreme where I was terribly sore.

I just woke up with a lot of gas, on par with eating a big plate of hot wings. A couple of Peptobismal tablets (and some release) cured it right away.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:50 PM   #244
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Love reading the success stories in here.

I'm going to be embarking on a fairly major jaw surgery to hopefully cure mine, as I have had zero success with CPAP. It's pretty scary to think about and is likely going to involve changes to my voice and speech therapy after, but my kids are my driving force. I have a couple more hurdles to jump through before we can proceed, but I'm so hopeful for success. Not sleeping well is something that affects ALL aspects of one's life, as many have shown in here.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:26 PM   #245
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Love reading the success stories in here.

I'm going to be embarking on a fairly major jaw surgery to hopefully cure mine, as I have had zero success with CPAP. It's pretty scary to think about and is likely going to involve changes to my voice and speech therapy after, but my kids are my driving force. I have a couple more hurdles to jump through before we can proceed, but I'm so hopeful for success. Not sleeping well is something that affects ALL aspects of one's life, as many have shown in here.
Best of luck... I was starting to look at some of the available surgical options and was at the point where I was going to just go to the states for a couple weeks for a surgery and slap in on the old HELOC, as they seem to have more advanced options there. But before I started hacking apart the inside of my face, I decided to give the CPAP an honest effort, if for anything, my wife.

For me it boiled down to the mask. When I did my trial a year and a bit back, they gave me the in the nostril pillow thing, it was awful, and I couldn't bear it and immediately gave up.

I tried the N20 nasal mask this time... (basically looks like a hockey cup over your nose)... and I barely noticed it.

Best of luck, I hope you find the relief you are looking for.

On a side note, last night I dozed off on the couch and auto-piloted myself into bed at some point in the night and didn't put it on. Low and behold, I feel like trash today. I can't wait to get a solid night sleep tonight with it on.
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 05:35 PM   #246
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Super off topic, pylon, but would love to hear a review by you on the GTI MKVIII in the automotive thread.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:30 PM   #247
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm glad to see this thread bumped. Bonus for it being a positive story as well.

I was diagnosed with 50 episodes per hour 1 month ago and they referred me to a place that rented/sold CPAP machines.
I went in and listened to their spiel but was immediately turned off when I was comparing and live-reviewing the $2800 machines they were trying to sell me and seeing that I could get the exact same machines for $1200-$1400 online. I asked about the difference in prices and she said it was because they would be monitoring the results for me. Then I felt the pressure tactics of them trying to close before I left. I didn't commit to anything and left.

My benefits only cover $2500 for life. I travel for work a lot and I assume I will need both a travel unit and one for home. What I fear though is the fragility of the portable units as I spend 120-150 nights per year in a hotel, and it's rarely the same one two nights in a row. The home units weren't really that much bigger anyway and I'm contemplating just bringing it with me for work.

Also....My mouth stays shut during the day but is wide open at night and I dont breath through my nose. That, combined with the fact that I sleep on my stomach and toss numerous times at night makes me question how well the mask will stay on. I have no idea what machine brand to pick but that Redmed F20 that jeffporfirio posted looks like a great mask option though.

My question is::
Do I NEED to pay a marked up price for someone to monitor anything or is that a service I can live without? I'm assuming I will know results based on how happy my wife is and how much more energy I get, right? Or am I out to lunch?
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:12 PM   #248
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you get one yourself, make sure you look into the service menu(there is a key sequence) an then do your research on the advanced settings. Out of the box it may not be appropriate for you. I ended up adjusting my wife's as it was way too strong for her, but that's what the "experts" had setup. It was getting blasted off her face. Lots of info out there on how to do it.

To update, my wife ended up getting surgery, and got an all clear with another sleep study. There are occasions she snores lightly, but has been all good since then.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:22 PM   #249
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

CPAP's are all about the mask. Machine is super important as well and all I recommend is getting one that has the water option so you are not completely dried out in the morning. I have about 4 or 5 different masks with the noise pillows being my go to. I am a side sleeper and they seem to be the best for that. Having bad sinuses sucks but workable. I have tried the under nose ones and I like them but they can get pinched off on one side and become noisy plus the air blowing down you arm or onto your partner. The nose pillows are quiet and no ventilation air.

Cannot get use to the full face ones as they seemed to get sucked into my face every now and then as well becoming knocked askew when flopping around. For mouth breathers maybe they are better but not something I have been able to get to work for me.

In general I hate the CPAP machine but it is a necessity now. You know, the whole keeping me from dying kind of thing.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 11:06 PM   #250
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
I'm glad to see this thread bumped. Bonus for it being a positive story as well.

I was diagnosed with 50 episodes per hour 1 month ago and they referred me to a place that rented/sold CPAP machines.
I went in and listened to their spiel but was immediately turned off when I was comparing and live-reviewing the $2800 machines they were trying to sell me and seeing that I could get the exact same machines for $1200-$1400 online. I asked about the difference in prices and she said it was because they would be monitoring the results for me. Then I felt the pressure tactics of them trying to close before I left. I didn't commit to anything and left.

My benefits only cover $2500 for life. I travel for work a lot and I assume I will need both a travel unit and one for home. What I fear though is the fragility of the portable units as I spend 120-150 nights per year in a hotel, and it's rarely the same one two nights in a row. The home units weren't really that much bigger anyway and I'm contemplating just bringing it with me for work.

Also....My mouth stays shut during the day but is wide open at night and I dont breath through my nose. That, combined with the fact that I sleep on my stomach and toss numerous times at night makes me question how well the mask will stay on. I have no idea what machine brand to pick but that Redmed F20 that jeffporfirio posted looks like a great mask option though.

Do I NEED to pay a marked up price for someone to monitor anything or is that a service I can live without? I'm assuming I will know results based on how happy my wife is and how much more energy I get, right? Or am I out to lunch?
No. The reason they charge so much is similar to Dentists. Insurance typically pays about $3k every 5 years, so keep it under that and you're golden, if yours doesnt then see what else you can do. They do break.

Further, you can take them with you rather than having 2. As a medical device it does not count as one of your 'Carry On Bags' and if you're going to a humid climate and dont need the humidifier they typically also come apart to make travel easier.

As long as it works (and I concur with Gala on the humidifier) it should be okay.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 11:09 PM   #251
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Best of luck, I hope you find the relief you are looking for.
Thanks. I have some other medical issues at play (cleft palette/lip, small airways, full time mouth breather (here comes the jokes!))which are the reason I think surgery was recommended when masks weren't working.

For those of you looking for mask options, I follow a person on Instagram who swears by the Philips Respironics DreamWear Full Face CPAP Mask. She had terrible luck with keeping CPAP masks on properly and staying on throughout the night before she landed on this one.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 11:35 PM   #252
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I use the F20 mask that has been mentioned. It’s extremely comfortable but the foam cushion means you can’t clean it with soap and water so it needs to be replaced sooner than other masks. Philips says every month but if you wipe it down well you can get several months use out of it.

I replace them when the foam starts to tear, which happens in the same spot every time. That’s pretty annoying. The cushion cost about $40 online so you don’t have to replace the whole mask.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:39 PM   #253
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Big fan of the ResMed Mirage Activa.
Baby wipes do the trick when keeping any mask clean and oil free. I buy the No-Name big packs for cheap, and they keep my mask in great condition.
I also remove the hose from the mask every night so there isn't any stress on the connections. I used to use the Mirage FX but it was often cracking near the connecting point.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:12 PM   #254
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
At first, I thought this was a total racket designed to extract every nickel from you, and struggled wit it as well. To an extent I'm sure it is, however, to have an expert available to make any adjustments with the proper knowledge, instead of youtubing your way through it.... is worth the extra money to me. You call, tell them what's bugging you, and they just magically do it on the spot over the air.

This isn't a 40 year old vintage motorcycle you bought to tinker with and see if you can get it running for the sheer pleasure of it. Sure, that falls into the 'youtube certified master mechanic category'. This is your health and well being, and I don't need to add 'certified respiratory therapist' to my list of youtube certifications.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:24 PM   #255
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know if there's any legitimacy to a dentist diagnosing someone with a deviated septum and likely sleep apnea as a result? I mean I'm going to at least make an appointment with my family doctor to get it checked out, just thought it was an interesting thing for my (new) dentist to just off-the-cuff diagnose when in for a routine dental checkup.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:43 PM   #256
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
Anyone know if there's any legitimacy to a dentist diagnosing someone with a deviated septum and likely sleep apnea as a result? I mean I'm going to at least make an appointment with my family doctor to get it checked out, just thought it was an interesting thing for my (new) dentist to just off-the-cuff diagnose when in for a routine dental checkup.
Not suggested from a dentist, but my wife had a deviated septum. Once fixed, her apnea was gone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2022, 10:13 PM   #257
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
CPAP's are all about the mask. Machine is super important as well and all I recommend is getting one that has the water option so you are not completely dried out in the morning. I have about 4 or 5 different masks with the noise pillows being my go to.
Quote:
So I too went to Peak about 8 years ago so take this with a grain of salt . At the time, a big advantage of going to a clinic was that you could demo a few mask types, and return them if fit wasn't great. Not sure if they still do this - but this alone was worth the price of going to a clinic given the price of masks and figuring out what type work best for me (Full Face, Fisher and Paykel - sturdy and easy to clean).

Frankly - if insurance is covering it - I'd leave to an expert to help you get a machine set properly, as well a selecting a mask (assuming the above returns still hold). Once you're set up - then yes, you can pass on monitoring, unless you have a serious case of apnea with many events that might warrant monitoring. Future masks and supplies you can buy on your own.

The other thing is - clinics have a higher chance of actually having a machine right now - these units will be rarer than a PS5 for the rest of 2022 unless you're willing to pay up. No online stores have any stock right now.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 06:22 PM   #258
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I picked up a rental last yesterday. A Resmed 10 with an F20 full face mask.
Was given a air flow starting at 7 and ramping to 10-18.

I immediately hated it. I kept feeling like I was not getting enough air and that exhaling was laborious. I've always wanted to skydive but never have because I feared how hard it would be to breathe while descending. This is exactly what I pictured that feeling to be like.

I don't think I can lower the starting pressure myself and instead need to wait until the Dr at the issuing clinic returns on Tuesday. I'm going to try it again tonight, and earlier in the evening, to see if I can get used to it while just relaxing in bed but my initial impression isn't very positive but hope I'm just overreacting.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 06:33 PM   #259
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I picked up a rental last yesterday. A Resmed 10 with an F20 full face mask.
Was given a air flow starting at 7 and ramping to 10-18.

I immediately hated it. I kept feeling like I was not getting enough air and that exhaling was laborious. I've always wanted to skydive but never have because I feared how hard it would be to breathe while descending. This is exactly what I pictured that feeling to be like.

I don't think I can lower the starting pressure myself and instead need to wait until the Dr at the issuing clinic returns on Tuesday. I'm going to try it again tonight, and earlier in the evening, to see if I can get used to it while just relaxing in bed but my initial impression isn't very positive but hope I'm just overreacting.
You can, you just have to go into the clinical settings.

https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-ai...-10-setup-info

Good reading here:

https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cp...n-setup-manual

The doctor had setup my wife for mens settings, and it was awful. We played with these until it was working well for her. Do some reading on how each one works. Obvious disclaimers abound, but if the machine isn't life or death for you, I don't see why you wouldn't tweak them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 12:21 PM   #260
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can anyone recommend a good nasal pillow mask? Mine is always moving around, leaking, and whistling which is super annoying. The strap adjustments are really poor - just little toothed plastic pieces not proper adjustable buckles.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote