I feel like this is needed because of how insane things are getting
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:22 PM   #2
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was from yesterday I believe.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ng-canada.html

Today, the Government of Canada announced it is extending current border measures for travellers entering Canada. Requirements for travellers arriving to Canada are expected to remain in effect until at least September 30, 2022.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:27 PM   #3
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.thestar.com/business/202...re-notice.html

Quote:
When Sarah Ashmore-MacDonald saw the news that Air Canada would be cancelling some summer flights to address delays and general chaos at airports, she immediately checked her email — she hasn’t seen her parents in two years, and had booked flights with her boyfriend to see them in Saint John months ago.

There was nothing in her inbox — a sigh of relief. Her departing flight from Toronto on Thursday evening was just hours away.

Then she checked the Air Canada app. That’s how she found out that her return flights on July 9 had been cancelled. In fact, the leg from Toronto to Fort McMurray has been suspended entirely — but not until after she flies out.

After finally getting an Air Canada agent on the phone, Ashmore-MacDonald said she was told that she can ask for a refund for her return flight, but that she will have to find her own way home. That’s what she plans to do, but she’s upset at the short notice and lack of information.

“There’s no way that this decision was made in a day,” she said. “They could have given people a lot more notice.”
https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/0...cancellations/

Quote:
An air passenger advocate is urging those with cancelled Air Canada flights to know their rights after the airline announced Wednesday it would be cutting back service in July and August.

It comes following mounting frustrations against the airline over multiple reports of delayed flights, disruptions, and luggage sitting at a stand still.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:29 PM   #4
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...tory-1.6505854

Quote:
The trip to Windsor was cancelled upon arrival in Toronto due to mechanical issues with the aircraft. After a long wait in the customer service line surrounded by other grumpy people missing connections, I was given a hotel room to wait for a second flight the next day at the same time.

That was cancelled as well.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:31 PM   #5
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/06/...arson-airport/

Quote:
A mother and her three young children who were set to travel in a one-day cross-country trip with Air Canada is still fighting after various hurdles to get to her destination four days later.

“I never want another family to go through what to had to go through and I was travelling alone, I didn’t even have my husband with me or anything,” Jennifer MacDougall told CityNews while waiting for a friend to pick her family up from Halifax.

“I emailed them, I’ve been trying to call them, nobody is getting back to me, nobody is responding to me, nobody is communicating with me at all from Air Canada yet,” she said.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:47 PM   #6
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
This was from yesterday I believe.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ng-canada.html

Today, the Government of Canada announced it is extending current border measures for travellers entering Canada. Requirements for travellers arriving to Canada are expected to remain in effect until at least September 30, 2022.
If they only applied these rules to people flying in to certain airports I’m not sure I’d be opposed. It’s a complete gong show at some airports right now due to staffing issues.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:54 PM   #7
ripTDR
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I recently flew to Tor from Van and back on AC. Due to fortunate circumstances I was able to book business class for pretty cheap so got the priority check in, security and boarding. I can say without a doubt that I would not fly economy at the state right now. The economy check in was chaos in Toronto for sure and the security looked like a nightmare. Even priority check in was frustrating. Groups of seven checking in at the same time with only 3 reps clogging the system. For the time being(I don't think I will ever fly business class again) I can't say I have any appetite for flying in the future.
ripTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:02 PM   #8
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

So what is the cause of everything? This is the first I heard of it but I makes sense I did hear of friends having their Vegas to Calgary flights cancelled recently.

Is it the new measures and chaos in implementation and logistics? Staffing problems?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:07 PM   #9
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
So what is the cause of everything? This is the first I heard of it but I makes sense I did hear of friends having their Vegas to Calgary flights cancelled recently.

Is it the new measures and chaos in implementation and logistics? Staffing problems?
Staffing issues. A lot of people quit/got laid off and it’s not easy to hire for jobs at the airport quickly with all the required security/background checks
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:14 PM   #10
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think YYC is still managing okay?

Seeing some of the coverage of Pearson and some of the other airports out East… not sure I’d be willing to chance it… yikes.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:20 PM   #11
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I think YYC is still managing okay?

Seeing some of the coverage of Pearson and some of the other airports out East… not sure I’d be willing to chance it… yikes.
If this is accurate, I would say . . . maybe? I guess it's not "as bad as the worst" though and better than the terrible average? Watching this over the long weekend could be amusing.

https://datawazo.com/flights/?fbclid...nPROVdN9m4A_0I
Old 06-30-2022, 10:21 PM   #12
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't there a bunch of new laws enacted like I want to say, 4 years ago? I recall some of the laws were around compensating for specific durations of delays, but not sure if it also covered these sorts of cancellations.

It's terrible what's happening right now in North America with flights. Think I remember seeing a headline a few days ago that around 800 flights are being cancelled DAILY down in the US.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 10:25 PM   #13
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Think I remember seeing a headline a few days ago that around 800 flights are being cancelled DAILY down in the US.
Well, there is roughly ten times as many people in the US. If that website is correct, Pearson has over 150+ flights cancelled in the last day by itself?
Old 06-30-2022, 10:41 PM   #14
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think a big part is staffing. Staffing at the airports (security, customs, etc) and airline staffing. There was a report today that said airline staffing was already an issue in 2018 and the pandemic, of course, has made things worse.

I'm supposed to fly to Portugal, via Toronto, next week. We'll see what happens. Between airline issues, airport issues, covid tests, and now a rail strike in Portugal, I wouldn't be overly disappointed if Air Canada did cancel, as long as they do it BEFORE I leave and give me a hassle-free refund.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:53 PM   #15
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, now looking around for the US daily:

https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/

For the United States
Total delays today: 3,450 flights
Total cancellations today: 1,460 flights

Just the Pearson airport by itself:
1204 flights total
13% cancelled, 157 flights (scaled up by 9 - 1413 flights)
51% delayed, 614 flights (scaled up by 9 - 5526 flights)

And Canada is about 9 times less population, so yeah Canada is way worse. Not even close.

EDIT: For giggles I went further. Looks like relatively 3 times the cancelled flights in Canada and 6 times more delays versus the US. Good luck travelers.

Last edited by chemgear; 06-30-2022 at 10:56 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 11:04 PM   #16
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just saw this on YouTube. Freaking insane!

Old 06-30-2022, 11:07 PM   #17
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by chemgear; 06-30-2022 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 06-30-2022, 11:08 PM   #18
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Meanwhile in the US:

https://fortune.com/2022/06/30/delta...ersold-flight/

Passengers on a Delta flight from Michigan to Minnesota say that the airline offered them $10,000 cash to give up their seats on an oversold domestic flight.

“If you have Apple Pay, you’ll even have the money right now,” the flight attendant said, Aten wrote.

Not seriously comparing, but that is a big chunk of cash.
Old 06-30-2022, 11:23 PM   #19
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Meanwhile in the US:

https://fortune.com/2022/06/30/delta...ersold-flight/

Passengers on a Delta flight from Michigan to Minnesota say that the airline offered them $10,000 cash to give up their seats on an oversold domestic flight.

“If you have Apple Pay, you’ll even have the money right now,” the flight attendant said, Aten wrote.

Not seriously comparing, but that is a big chunk of cash.
Damn, that is a generous offer. Many years ago we were on a flight from Denver to Vancouver and it was overweight so they were looking for ten volunteers to deplane. They would re-accommodate on a flight 3 hours later and we're offering $300.

From recent experience the other day YYC going to the US did not seem bad at all. We didn't check bags but the lines seemed reasonable and the security/US Customs was very quick. We fly through YYZ in August and that seems like a disaster and I'm genuinely concerned that we are going to run into issues.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 12:02 AM   #20
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canadian content

The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post: