Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2022, 10:31 AM   #1
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Vancouver - Places to stay?

I checked most of the Vancouver related travel threads, and they're all pretty old, so I decided to start this one.

My son is an ocean nut, so we want to take him out to the coast to see the Vancouver aquarium, visit some coast line, and then head over to the island to stay with some friends.

My question revolves around places to stay in Vancouver - Any secret/economical spots for a family, or are we destined to pay $250+ a night for anything reasonable? Any insight/advice would be appreciated. We're not opposed to staying in one of the satellite areas (Richmond, Coquitlam, etc.) but since our time will be spent in the aquarium aread and North Vancouver up to horshoe bay area, closer to there would be appreciated.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:41 AM   #2
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We don't even bother really looking at hotels anymore. AirBNB is the best bang for your buck.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DionTheDman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2022, 10:51 AM   #3
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've heard that the Downtown East Side is particularly scenic and friendly.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2022, 10:56 AM   #4
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah even the AirBnBs are $250-300 for anything suitable for a family of 4. I guess that's just the price to stay. Maybe I'm just showing how cheap I am haha.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:01 AM   #5
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

AirBNB in Vancouver hasn't been a good deal for a while unless you're looking for a large amount of people.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2022, 11:04 AM   #6
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

UBC has a few places, might be wroth checking the price.

https://reserve.suitesatubc.com/vanc...ailability.asp
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2022, 11:54 AM   #7
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Vancouver is tough right now with hotels. I would think $300 a night is the going rate for a cheap place. I got $250 for the Pan Pacific in Whistler a month ago that I thought was a fantastic deal but it was off season there at the time.

I do not have any deals but it sounds like you will be driving one way or another so mayber something in White Rock or Steveston would work. Added bonus of nice little towns on the water and then head to downtown for the Aquarium etc? It would be aways to travel but assuming you are not leaving at peak hours.

Maybe even Squamish? I stayed at a Sandman there a few years ago and I really liked the hotel. Wouldn't be too bad to get down to the aquarium from there.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2022, 11:56 AM   #8
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

My house. I have a futon mattress I saved for guests. I'm very generous, only one kidney per group as opposed to the one kidney per guest that some places do.

Downside is traffic means you never get to go over town, so the Aquarium is out.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2022, 12:11 PM   #9
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I manage a 2br condo in downtown Vancouver that goes for ~$250/nt Sunday-Thursday nights. But it depends on when you're going, as this summer is 100% sold out already.

Anyway, I get that probably isn't helpful, but if you have fixed dates I'd definitely book sooner rather than later. If not I'd recommend pushing into the fall a bit if you can- even Sept is a lot easier to find stuff than July/August.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2022, 12:38 PM   #10
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bizaro, if you have any cancellations around Aug 6-9, let me know! Might talk to the family and see if it might be a better idea to go September, but then school factors in.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:38 PM   #11
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weston Bayshore is a decent hotel and has okay rates, I think. As many here have said, Vancouver has a huge shortage of hotel space and rates are out of control.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:30 PM   #12
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I checked most of the Vancouver related travel threads, and they're all pretty old, so I decided to start this one.

My son is an ocean nut, so we want to take him out to the coast to see the Vancouver aquarium, visit some coast line, and then head over to the island to stay with some friends.

My question revolves around places to stay in Vancouver - Any secret/economical spots for a family, or are we destined to pay $250+ a night for anything reasonable? Any insight/advice would be appreciated. We're not opposed to staying in one of the satellite areas (Richmond, Coquitlam, etc.) but since our time will be spent in the aquarium aread and North Vancouver up to horshoe bay area, closer to there would be appreciated.

Given your travel plans, you should probably aim to stay in North Vancouver, ideally close to the Quay if you can.

The Quay itself is very attractive, and you're a Seabus and short taxi ride from Stanley Park and the Aquarium. You're also close to Horseshoe Bay for the ferry to the Island.

Depending on your dates, you might score somewhere around $250 a night (but probably not if you're spanning a weekend). You could also try your luck looking at Horseshoe Bay itself. Real easy commute to the ferry from there.

I hadn't realized how expensive it's become to stay in Vancouver in the summer...
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:46 PM   #13
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post

I hadn't realized how expensive it's become to stay in Vancouver in the summer...

Oh, you sweet summer child.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2022, 11:00 AM   #14
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pinnacle Hotel Harbourfront, and pay the little bit extra for the water view. It's a very reasonable price, and if you have the water view you can watch the float planes taking off on the water. Your son would love it. Also walking distance too Stanley park and the aquarium

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:35 AM   #15
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

$250? That’s cheap. There’s nothing in Victoria for less than $400
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 12:32 PM   #16
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Those last couple of hotels will be in the $400 and up range for a two queen bed room. More for water. Both are very nice hotels. North Van is not a bad idea though. There is an Econo Lodge and the North Van hotel. They will be on the cheap side.

One thing to really pay attention to are the ferries if you are driving and going to the island. Lots and I mean lots of ferries are being cancelled last minute due to lack of staff. This long weekend is off to a banner start with cancelled sailings already.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:45 PM   #17
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Those last couple of hotels will be in the $400 and up range for a two queen bed room. More for water. Both are very nice hotels. North Van is not a bad idea though. There is an Econo Lodge and the North Van hotel. They will be on the cheap side.

One thing to really pay attention to are the ferries if you are driving and going to the island. Lots and I mean lots of ferries are being cancelled last minute due to lack of staff. This long weekend is off to a banner start with cancelled sailings already.
That's true about the hotels. I went September long weekend a couple years ago and paid $150 per night. So maybe best too not go in the summer

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 12:57 PM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rent a boat and anchor it in the Harbor?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 02:02 PM   #19
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
That's true about the hotels. I went September long weekend a couple years ago and paid $150 per night. So maybe best too not go in the summer
Prices have gone up dramatically around here in just the past year. I stayed at the Sheraton Wall Centre which is a nice hotel and it was $500+ a night just in May.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:41 PM   #20
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Rent a boat and anchor it in the Harbor?

A boat!? In this economy?!?!?!

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver