Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2020, 09:03 AM   #241
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Why was he sent off anyways? The official should have walked up to Ba, and shown him a red card to his face. No words needed.
Ba was not sent off. Webo, an assistant coach, was sent off for protesting to the 4th official. The main referee did not know who was protesting so needed help from the 4th official to identify him.
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:52 AM   #242
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
I do think that if it was a bench full of black guys and one white guy, then the phrase "the white guy over there" would've been used as an identifier.

Taking racial connotations out of it for a second, it's a useful descriptor no? If the whole bench was blond except for one ginger, you'd expect "the ginger guy" to be used as an identifier. If they all had short hair except for one long haired guy, you'd expect that to be used and so on.
Do you think all red heads like being called ginger? If you were coaching a kids team would you yell from the sidelines to “cover the ginger”, or “the black kid”? Probably not because we know some of these terms can be sensitive. Calling somebody you don’t know a term like skinny, fat, short, etc is a dangerous game because many people have probably heard these terms used towards them with negative intent.

I don’t think this ref had bad intent, and no doubt the language barrier made the situation seem worse, but it’s still a moment we should all try to learn from rather then just brush off.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2020, 11:26 AM   #243
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I guess it's hard for me because it doesn't seem racist to identify a person by their skin colour. When I watch MMA or Boxing I always think it
s silly to go to great lengths to describe which fighter is which and not refer to skin colour. I watched a fight a few years ago and their trunks were close in colour, and it was boxing so they had the same gloves and the commentators just couldn't say that one guy was white and the other guy was black.

I'm a white guy, so maybe I'm just flat out wrong and somewhat insensitive to these things?

"Get the gwailou with the ball!"

I am insensitive too to be honest but I think society is changing for the better and I've had to grow. For example, trying to learn vocab that is respectful to everyone. I've learned to take the word 'guys' or 'gals' out of my vocabulary. No longer using, you guys or these guys. Using names 100%.

In your example, the commentators would have to say their names every time. And Slava goes in for a HUGE uppercut!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:37 AM   #244
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Do you think all red heads like being called ginger? If you were coaching a kids team would you yell from the sidelines to “cover the ginger”, or “the black kid”? Probably not because we know some of these terms can be sensitive. Calling somebody you don’t know a term like skinny, fat, short, etc is a dangerous game because many people have probably heard these terms used towards them with negative intent.
No and I wasn't advocating calling people by these names to their face anyway, but in a private conversation, people certainly use descriptors about other people that the subject may not necessarily like.

If you were to witness a mugging and had to give a statement to the police, would you avoid describing the perpetrator's skin colour? Of course not, it's a handy descriptor. Whether he's black or brown or white, that's a handy fact to have when trying to look for him.

That's not to say that I'm incapable of seeing how it may be offensive to some people, but context and intent matters and here it seems to have been a bit muddied due to, like you said, language barrier and probably cultural differences too.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 01:13 PM   #245
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
only the fact that black people identify THEMSELVES as black ALL THE TIME.
To repeat the question:
What qualifies YOU to say that a black person being upset at someone being singled out by the colour of their skin is ridiculous?

Quote:
Yes, that is what I'm saying. They explained to them what the word meant immediately.
No he did not.
He avoided eye contact, kept peeping his frickin whistle and pointing towards the stands and essentially dismissed the protest. He wanted nothing to do with it.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 02:26 PM   #246
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
To repeat the question:
What qualifies YOU to say that a black person being upset at someone being singled out by the colour of their skin is ridiculous?
He was being singled out because he was the one protesting. The color of his skin was simply a descriptor.

and if that is the standard for whether or not anyone has a valid reason for being upset, then you can't dismiss anyone ever. The way you look at me in public might upset me, and you therefore should be burdened by the fact that you've upset me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
No he did not.
Yes, he did. I watched it all unfold in real time. They told them multiple times that they are speaking Romanian and what the word means.
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 02:58 PM   #247
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, he did. I watched it all unfold in real time. They told them multiple times that they are speaking Romanian and what the word means.
Go watch again. After about five minutes of Ba protesting.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:11 PM   #248
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm, the sarcasm will be lost.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:13 PM   #249
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Why are we allowing Turks to have such prejudicial views? Aren’t they just beta Gypsies?
You're still just bitter about that loss to Istanbul arent you?!?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:54 AM   #250
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

VfB Stuttgart are tearing Dortmund apart 4-1 already. Super fun team with a lot of young talent, playing the right way. The last few years haven't been easy (relegated twice), but they are bouncing back nicely right now.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:24 AM   #251
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
VfB Stuttgart are tearing Dortmund apart 4-1 already. Super fun team with a lot of young talent, playing the right way. The last few years haven't been easy (relegated twice), but they are bouncing back nicely right now.
5-1 final and fully deserved, if anything the score line flattered Dortmund
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:35 AM   #252
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah, and that's got to be the end for Favre surely? They've been anemic for a while, and that one very much felt like the game that ended Kovacs Bayern career. Players have clearly given up.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2020, 06:59 AM   #253
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

and there it is, Favre has been sacked.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:24 AM   #254
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
and there it is, Favre has been sacked.
Thats what you get when you lose to Stuttgart.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-13-2020, 10:39 AM   #255
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

They had to do something. They’ve dropped 5 points in the last two weeks and in the same period Bayern has dropped 4. They should be tied top of table
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:44 AM   #256
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Thats what you get when you lose to Stuttgart.
ha! In all seriousness, Stuttgart deserved something from their game against Bayern as well. Like I said, fun team ... great setup and a lot of pressing. Second youngest team in BL history too, I believe.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:52 AM   #257
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 12-16-2020, 10:55 AM   #258
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh my lol

https://twitter.com/user/status/1339265366237724673
Old 12-16-2020, 11:01 AM   #259
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

We drew Leipzig....it'll be nice having devo cheering for Liverpool...

Old 12-16-2020, 11:13 AM   #260
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Yay, get to cheer for Barca.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote