Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2023, 08:19 AM   #6381
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin View Post
Which three courses should I play in the Kimberley/Cranbrook area? Headed there in a few weeks and will be my first time playing any of these tracks. Thanks in advance.
Shadow Mountain, St Eugenes, Wildstone, Bootleg. Pick any of the three and you'll be pleased.
Old 06-16-2023, 09:03 AM   #6382
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Shadow Mountain, St Eugenes, Wildstone, Bootleg. Pick any of the three and you'll be pleased.
Maybe a non-factor, and maybe just me...I liked Shadow Mountain a lot, but it wrecked me! I feel like I lost a lot of cash that day! Then when we went back to play Trickle the next day, I got completely destroyed. I just had zero confidence and was atrocious. I love this game
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 09:33 AM   #6383
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I liked Bootleg Gap the most of the courses I've played out there, but Trickle Creek is also nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Bootleg is my favorite, best value for what you get (and they are all good value compared to Calgary and the Columbia valley IMHO). Kimberley city course (renamed Purcell now?) is also nice but no practice facilities.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 09:38 AM   #6384
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played Springbank Links this morning, early tee time single. After the first hole I switched to the silver tees (the whites in most courses) and left the driver in the bag - my drive on 1 was actually a good shot 20 yards short of the green but I just decided I didn't want to deal with the forced carries and would rather practice hitting 3 wood off the tee. I had WAY more fun playing the course that way. If I had remembered about the water to the right of the 10th green I might have even posted a decent score...
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 10:04 AM   #6385
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Woooo broke 80 for the first time this year yesterday evening. Shot 43 on the front, but my worst score was bogey so not bad at all.

Then the back 9 it all just came together, started with bogey on 10, then all pars with a birdie on 14 to shoot an even par 36.

Progress!
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 11:01 AM   #6386
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Which three courses should I play in the Kimberley/Cranbrook area? Headed there in a few weeks and will be my first time playing any of these tracks. Thanks in advance.
Shadow, Bootleg, Trickle.

Avoid St Eugene.
Old 06-16-2023, 01:43 PM   #6387
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Bootleg
Trickle
Wildstone

Those would be my 3. Shadow is in there for views/length, but I've never found it to be in the best shape or the most fun course
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 02:14 PM   #6388
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Played Springbank Links this morning, early tee time single. After the first hole I switched to the silver tees (the whites in most courses) and left the driver in the bag - my drive on 1 was actually a good shot 20 yards short of the green but I just decided I didn't want to deal with the forced carries and would rather practice hitting 3 wood off the tee. I had WAY more fun playing the course that way. If I had remembered about the water to the right of the 10th green I might have even posted a decent score...
I dislike that course. So many blind shots and hidden issues.

As usual of course, my impression of a course ties directly to my scores on it.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 02:37 PM   #6389
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm telling you, try it my way sometime and it'll change everything. The whole course makes sense from one set of tees up... basically all the blind tee shots are gone. There are still a few mandatory carries off the tee, but most of them are either fairly short, or on Par 3s, which is IMO very fair.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 02:49 PM   #6390
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playing Springbank this weekend. I actually like the course.

I only count one blind shot on the front on 6. You see the landing area on every other shot. Blind into green on 2 I guess?
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 03:33 PM   #6391
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blind green and most of fairway on 1, blind green and approach on 2, 3 is a weird forced carry uphill where you can only sort of see the start of the fairway, 4 you can see the green but most of the fairway is obscured, 5 is fine, 6 is almost totally blind, you can barely see where the fairway starts, 7 is blind green (way left down and up a gulch), 8 you can only see part of the green (left middle and part of the back), 9 you can see most of the hole but there is a big dip in the middle.

Again that is all from the blues, from the whites most of it becomes easier to see. I definitely think 6 is the worst... the Back 9 is mostly straightforward.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 05:20 PM   #6392
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Playing Springbank this weekend. I actually like the course.
I'm with you. It's relatively straightforward if you play to the 150y marker, even if that means hitting less than driver.
Old 06-16-2023, 06:31 PM   #6393
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Played Kierland in Scottsdale last weekend and it was awesome! Rented the new line up of Pings and was a big fan. It was a bachelor party so was obviously a blast and we ended up 7 under with our 4 man scramble. Not disappointed with the score but we had a birdie putt on every hole so it could've been better but the greens there are much more difficult than our run of mill courses up here.

Followed that up with a 97 this morning. 52 on the front and 45 on the back. Was 2 putting everything on the back 9 so that was the difference there. #break90 continues, hopefully that back 9 can carry over to next weekend.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 08:10 PM   #6394
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Question: what courses around town have first tee time early (before 7am)? I'm really liking playing before work.
Old 06-16-2023, 08:54 PM   #6395
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Question: what courses around town have first tee time early (before 7am)? I'm really liking playing before work.
Elbow starts about 6:30. The only issue is if it’s busy and you play fast you could hit people teeing off on the other 9 in front of you.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 09:09 PM   #6396
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
The city courses do. IIRC Glen Eagles does as well (but that's using a realtor's definition of "around town").
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 09:14 PM   #6397
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Bootleg is my favorite, best value for what you get (and they are all good value compared to Calgary and the Columbia valley IMHO). Kimberley city course (renamed Purcell now?) is also nice but no practice facilities.
My Bootleg Gap story isn't about the course (which is excellent).

I had just picked up a cart and a bucket of balls and was on my way to my wife. That's when she shouted to me from the practice green which was in the opposite direction. I did a quick u turn right outside the pro shop. From the pro shop to the parking lot is a hill, and when I turned sharply, the bucket of balls tipped and I stared helplessly as 100 golf balls spilled out and made their way down the hill into the parking lot.

I spent 15 minutes picking them all up. Most had rested at the far end of the parking lot, but several I had to fetch from under cars.
psyang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2023, 10:19 PM   #6398
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Wild stone and Shadow are great as well.
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EverfresH15 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2023, 09:08 AM   #6399
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

$151 for Elbow Springs is a joke!
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EverfresH15 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2023, 10:40 AM   #6400
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Shadow, Bootleg, Trickle.

Avoid St Eugene.
Is avoiding St Eugene because of current conditions? Because I've always loved that course. Some really cool holes. The par 3's are spectacular. I think it was summer 2021 as the only time that I found the conditions lacking.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow