Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-26-2022, 10:51 AM   #3621
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northendzone View Post
i have no stats, but it sure feels like it has been a breezy start to the 2022 cycling season with many days featuring a good breeze and i feel that i have yet to really have it at my back for a long stretch
https://twitter.com/user/status/1527478407033913353
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2022, 05:26 PM   #3622
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
so on tuesday evening i had to drop my son's vehicle off at the shop - so i decided to make a little 30k loop out of the task by riding east along the canal to 84th street and then back to my house in New Brighton. I fought the wind along the canal and then on the regional pathway back to NB.

Yesterday afternoon I went to pick up the vehicle and I thought I would do the route in reverse and as fate would have it, I was fighting the wind down the canal again. I wound up cutting the ride short and bailed at 52nd as I did not ahve the legs to fight the wind again.

I have no stats, but it sure feels like it has been a breezy start to the 2022 cycling season with many days featuring a good breeze and I feel that I have yet to really have it at my back for a long stretch
How is the canal? Last year I did it on my road bike and I hated every mile as all the canal cement blocks gaps and tree trunks spreading into the pavement were a spine-jarring ride all the way.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:56 PM   #3623
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know where the current snow line is on the Highwood Pass ride? Particularly from the south gate?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:06 PM   #3624
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
How is the canal? Last year I did it on my road bike and I hated every mile as all the canal cement blocks gaps and tree trunks spreading into the pavement were a spine-jarring ride all the way.
I think the Canal pathway is provincial government owned so don't get your hopes up that they fix it anytime in the next few decades, lol.

One bright spot: the new pathway on the west side of the Bow River between Heritage and Ogden is nice to bike these days, city did a great job!
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 11:19 AM   #3625
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Anyone know where the current snow line is on the Highwood Pass ride? Particularly from the south gate?
#yycbike folks latest update from a few days back:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1528962443568762881
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 11:23 AM   #3626
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
i picked up the canal path as i came down from ogden/lynnwood and wanted to head east to stony.

there are still some rough sections on this path thanks to the tree roots, but i noted that they had spray painted lines around them, so i assume someone was looking at them and marking them for some future repair.

Or maybe the spray paint was some kind of new avant guard art project
Old 05-27-2022, 02:03 PM   #3627
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
How is the canal?
A few pages back I posted my latest update after going back and forth with the City and the Province.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...postcount=3560

Short version- the city has the funding but may not be done for a year or two. In the mean time, the more people that complain to 311, the sooner it may get fixed.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 02:42 PM   #3628
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
A few pages back I posted my latest update after going back and forth with the City and the Province.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...postcount=3560

Short version- the city has the funding but may not be done for a year or two. In the mean time, the more people that complain to 311, the sooner it may get fixed.
Interesting, I called 311 a few years ago and they told me it wasn't city property
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:15 PM   #3629
Khel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

They actually fixed most of the tree roots on the Canal over by the Glenmore Inn a week or two ago!

It's much nicer to ride now, not perfect, but way better.

The only problem with the canal right now is the Geese, the babies are out and those damn public menaces will charge and chase you if you get to close!
Khel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Khel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2022, 09:13 PM   #3630
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well May long came and went and we didn't climb to Moraine Lake as I intended (given the amount of snow still present). Instead we went from Banff to Lake Louise on the 1A and back, which was still a great ride and good for my skill level. At 116.14 kms it clocked in at my largest ride, yet!

Really cool was meeting up with two people I've done Zwift with, but never met in real life. Nice expanding my circle of people I can group ride with.

This has been a tremendous first full year of cycling for me (really only started training last year). Next big challenge for me is the Badlands Gran Fondo of 100 miles. Any advice is appreciated, particularly regarding the climbs if you've done it before as they worry me as a heavier rider still and regarding moving from 100 kms to 100 miles and if there is much difference aside from some saddle discomfort and mental strength.

BTW I noticed on the CP Strava group there was a group ride 4 years ago. Any plans for something similar in the future? Like the opportunity to meet some of you in real life, and would be something I'd come down to Calgary for (depending on pace).
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Deegee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2022, 10:13 PM   #3631
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I’m doing the Badlands as well this year. The last time I did it was in 2016. I ended up all alone and it was tough. Big headwinds on the way back meant it took as long for me to do the last 50km as it did the first 110km. At the time it was my longest ride as well. If you can get with a group of similar speed riders, it will definitely help.

There are only a few big climbs on the route and a lot of flat between so you should be fine. Just find your cadence and make your way to the top. The challenge with hills and groups is that it tends to break them up so hopefully there’s a chance for you to get back together with whoever you end up riding with. Likely at the aid stations.

I organized the CP rides in the past. If there’s interest, we can definitely get one going again.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 10:06 AM   #3632
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm doing the badlands too!

Have done 100km a few times but will be my first fondo, and my first 160km.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 04:20 PM   #3633
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

so in the spring i had my mtn tuned at the LBS. They did a rear shock service and after a few rides it was apparent that tehre was something wrong witht eh shock as the shaft was wet. Turns out it needed an overhaul. the shop they could send it out to fox - 2-4 weeks minimum or i could take it to inside line and have it locally rebuilt at around 2 weeks.

while there i decided that i am going to get a coil shock and keep this rebuilt as a back up to aviod this issue in the future
Old 05-30-2022, 05:49 PM   #3634
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neuron and Bird both bringing e-bikes to Calgary as soon as early June.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 05:52 PM   #3635
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Neuron and Bird both bringing e-bikes to Calgary as soon as early June.
For better adoption, I think they need to cooler looking e bikes than the ones Lime had. Most e-scooter and e-bike riders trend younger and nobody wanted to be caught dead on the granny looking bikes that Lime had.
Old 05-30-2022, 06:11 PM   #3636
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For better adoption, I think they need to cooler looking e bikes than the ones Lime had. Most e-scooter and e-bike riders trend younger and nobody wanted to be caught dead on the granny looking bikes that Lime had.
For reference:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1531400334677094400
Old 05-30-2022, 07:19 PM   #3637
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lime’s bikes were trash. They were ugly, heavy, were a rough ride thanks to their solid wheels, and barely had any battery assist. As long as these bikes provide a half decent ride and have some zip they should do well for medium length trips (I.e. inner city neighbourhoods to downtown and back, or from one side of downtown to another).
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:55 AM   #3638
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Lime’s bikes were trash. They were ugly, heavy, were a rough ride thanks to their solid wheels, and barely had any battery assist. As long as these bikes provide a half decent ride and have some zip they should do well for medium length trips (I.e. inner city neighbourhoods to downtown and back, or from one side of downtown to another).
I was able to take the Neuron bike for a quick spin when I came across them just before that photo shoot in the tweet. Definitely an upgrade from the Lime bikes, very quick and noticeable pedal assist and they felt like a much sturdier and comfortable ride.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2022, 11:42 AM   #3639
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got an email from Neuron saying their ebikes hit the streets tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2022, 04:03 PM   #3640
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Urgent question - do you guys know if there are bike racks to lock to at Deerfoot City? Someone booked an event there tonight and I'm thinking of cycling from downtown.