Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2022, 07:17 PM   #5401
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I don't care what anyone does or how they score, but I see this weird phenomenon with a lot of golfers that otherwise score their round properly - If they putt to within 4-5 feet (so out of gimme range for those that play with gimmes) they walk up quick and kind of tap it with one hand or drag their putter into it towards the hole and if it goes in great and if doesn't they kind of pick it up as it's missing the hole. Usually it's when they were putting from distance and it keeps running when they thought they'd have a tap in.

It's weird cause I see it quite often and 4-5 foot putts are really important and can be difficult under pressure, especially if you just missed a long putt and don't want to add another stroke.

Last edited by jayswin; 05-27-2022 at 07:20 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:19 PM   #5402
jayswin

Exp:

It's like they think if they make it look casual and not a serious putt then it's basically the same as a gimme. I don't know, it's just kind of bizarre behaviour when you're not taking mulligans and scoring the rest of your game properly.

I get it, missing a 4 foot putt for bogey and turning it into a double takes the wind out of your sales if you're playing well, but that's golf.

Last edited by jayswin; 05-27-2022 at 07:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 08:30 PM   #5403
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
My Garmin finally R10 arrived. Does anybody have a setup in their basement? What mat and net do you use?
I had mine set up over the winter. I just bought a net off Amazon (I think ~$125). The mat I used is a mat I got from my course that was one of their old driving range mats they were replacing.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:37 PM   #5404
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It's like they think if they make it look casual and not a serious putt then it's basically the same as a gimme. I don't know, it's just kind of bizarre behaviour when you're not taking mulligans and scoring the rest of your game properly.

I get it, missing a 4 foot putt for bogey and turning it into a double takes the wind out of your sales if you're playing well, but that's golf.
For those of us in handicapped leagues you should be encouraging this kind of behavior!!!!!
Old 05-27-2022, 08:45 PM   #5405
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

There's a segment of the golfer population that like to keep a handicap that's way lower than their actual ability. Like the opposite of a sandbagger. It's strange and must be an ego thing. I know a few guys like this and they get killed in events like club championships.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:51 PM   #5406
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
There's a segment of the golfer population that like to keep a handicap that's way lower than their actual ability. Like the opposite of a sandbagger. It's strange and must be an ego thing. I know a few guys like this and they get killed in events like club championships.
The vanity handicap is only annoying when you have them on your team. Like a guy I had once, said his index was 6…and he barely broke 100. I know we all have those rounds, and perhaps that’s what happened there, but that seemed pretty far off.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:26 AM   #5407
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
My Garmin finally R10 arrived. Does anybody have a setup in their basement? What mat and net do you use?
I use a CCE mat with a ball tray.
https://www.par2pro.com/shop/product...4&currency=CAD

I also bought a 275$ projector off Amazon and a painters drop cloth to run E6.

The one thing I've noticed (and many others) is that the R10 seems to read a bit short - around 5-10%. Shot shape has increased dramatically since it first came out and it is constantly improving.

I also got one of these to make alignment easier.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1062...n-approach-r10

If you have any other questions let me know!

indes is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2022, 01:59 PM   #5408
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
The vanity handicap is only annoying when you have them on your team. Like a guy I had once, said his index was 6…and he barely broke 100. I know we all have those rounds, and perhaps that’s what happened there, but that seemed pretty far off.
Handicaps have quickly become a joke because they require honor and integrity, both of which are in short order these days. The reality is that you can play one or two holes and have a pretty good idea what a player's index is. People that can play just have good fundamentals and you can see it right away. When someone has the posture, the balance, finds the slot with buttery consistency, and has the touch with the short clubs, you know they can play regardless of what they are telling you about their index. Conversely you can have someone step to the tee box and tell you they're a single digit and you see none of those listed qualities, you know you have a vanindex on your hands.

It's not a very popular approach, but I prefer an imbalance in tee boxes than giving strokes. On my home course there is a variance in rating of 9 strokes between the front and the back of the course (just over 1,900 yards). I'll play the back of the course and you can choose whatever tee box you believe is representative of your handicap, then game on. No strokes other than the distance advantage, just straight up golf. If you want to play gimmes, play gimmes. As long as the rules are applied the same it quickly exposes the sandbaggers for what they are - frauds. They don't have the comfort of knowing they have a throw away on X number of holes. Pressure is applied equally throughout the round.

We have a regular Ryder Cup event every year where the Canadians take on the Americans and in the three years I played I always managed to get paired up against someone who shot at least six strokes under their "handicap" on top of the four to six holes I was giving strokes on. I would routinely shoot right to my handicap, a stroke either way, and I would get my head caved in by a guy that was supposedly a double digit index. It was consistent and as I got to know more and more players in the area I found out that handicaps mysteriously rose the month before the event. No wonder there's no sand in our bunkers, the players are filling their pockets in prep for Ryder Cup. The only time I actually took points was against the club champion in back-to-back days (first - two man best ball, second - medal play). After that they went to a match play only event which favored the sandbaggers. That was it for me.

Now when someone suggests playing with strokes involved I say I play the back, you pick your tee, and game on. Or we just do the smart thing, play a friendly, have some laughs, and let the birdie juice flow.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 02:02 PM   #5409
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played Silvertip yesterday. While was decent value at $80, the on course construction was bit of a let down.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 06:44 PM   #5410
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are they doing as far as construction goes?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:52 PM   #5411
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Anyone play at Silver Springs? I have a foursome to use there this year but want to wait till the course is in great shape.
That's my course. Club Championship this year is July 22nd weekend. Traditionally the club works towards that tournament as having the best conditions possible so you'd be pretty safe 3 weeks on either side of that date.

Honestly though once they start mowing in earnest it plays well all year long.

Last edited by prarieboy; 05-29-2022 at 08:00 PM.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to prarieboy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2022, 08:00 PM   #5412
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
What are they doing as far as construction goes?
Doing fairway work on 5, 12, and 14. So 2 short par 3’s and 1 temp green.
Old 05-29-2022, 08:24 PM   #5413
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Doing fairway work on 5, 12, and 14. So 2 short par 3’s and 1 temp green.
Full price though right?
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:16 PM   #5414
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speargrass in 3.5 today.

Course was deserted, 2+ club wind keeps people away.
Old 05-29-2022, 09:26 PM   #5415
jayswin

Exp:

Oh yeah, I can't stand super windy rounds. I'd rather 5-8 degrees, bundled up appropriately with no wind than 9-12 degrees and heavy winds. Just such a miserable experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2022, 10:17 PM   #5416
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Handicaps have quickly become a joke because they require honor and integrity, both of which are in short order these days. The reality is that you can play one or two holes and have a pretty good idea what a player's index is. People that can play just have good fundamentals and you can see it right away. When someone has the posture, the balance, finds the slot with buttery consistency, and has the touch with the short clubs, you know they can play regardless of what they are telling you about their index. Conversely you can have someone step to the tee box and tell you they're a single digit and you see none of those listed qualities, you know you have a vanindex on your hands.

It's not a very popular approach, but I prefer an imbalance in tee boxes than giving strokes. On my home course there is a variance in rating of 9 strokes between the front and the back of the course (just over 1,900 yards). I'll play the back of the course and you can choose whatever tee box you believe is representative of your handicap, then game on. No strokes other than the distance advantage, just straight up golf. If you want to play gimmes, play gimmes. As long as the rules are applied the same it quickly exposes the sandbaggers for what they are - frauds. They don't have the comfort of knowing they have a throw away on X number of holes. Pressure is applied equally throughout the round.

We have a regular Ryder Cup event every year where the Canadians take on the Americans and in the three years I played I always managed to get paired up against someone who shot at least six strokes under their "handicap" on top of the four to six holes I was giving strokes on. I would routinely shoot right to my handicap, a stroke either way, and I would get my head caved in by a guy that was supposedly a double digit index. It was consistent and as I got to know more and more players in the area I found out that handicaps mysteriously rose the month before the event. No wonder there's no sand in our bunkers, the players are filling their pockets in prep for Ryder Cup. The only time I actually took points was against the club champion in back-to-back days (first - two man best ball, second - medal play). After that they went to a match play only event which favored the sandbaggers. That was it for me.

Now when someone suggests playing with strokes involved I say I play the back, you pick your tee, and game on. Or we just do the smart thing, play a friendly, have some laughs, and let the birdie juice flow.
Does that work though? I think a lot of higher handicaps are guys who hit the ball well, but give up a lot from ~100 yards and in. Those strokes are still there playing from more forward tees. In my case the handicap target is probably 2-3 strokes difference between a more forward tee and the back.
Old 05-30-2022, 07:10 AM   #5417
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Going golfing for the first time in about 6 years this weekend for a stag. I don't know if I stopped golfing because of the price, a loss of interest. or that my clubs were stolen when I moved but I'm not looking forward to how bad this is going to be. I'm scrambling to find a cheaper set of clubs because I have no interest in renting (If they even rent them) and I'm just being lazy about it.

So if i'm correct after watching videos on the internet since I stopped golfing the unsecuring the golf bag on the cart trick is a thing of the past? Nowadays the trick is to drive your cart into someone as they are teeing off? I just want to make sure I don't look like an idiot out there . . . lol
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:44 AM   #5418
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just rent. It’s easier.

You unsecure my bag you can expect to buy new clubs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 11:24 AM   #5419
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Just experienced this playing with my GF's brother and father for the first time. She told me they were pretty good, and then I quickly saw why.

They didn't hit from fairway bunkers, quick little foot wedge every time. And ANYTHING within about 5 feet was a gimmie and they did same thing where they missed a 20 footer, had 4 feet left, and kinda one hand tapped it, missed, and then picked it up.

It doesn't bother me, even when they shot lower than me, but I dont see how you stand to gain. Why not hit as many 4 or 5 foot putts as you can? You'll inevitably get better at it.

They are not beginner golfers by any means either. Just struck me as odd.
8sPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 12:28 PM   #5420
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Does that work though? I think a lot of higher handicaps are guys who hit the ball well, but give up a lot from ~100 yards and in. Those strokes are still there playing from more forward tees. In my case the handicap target is probably 2-3 strokes difference between a more forward tee and the back.
This right here. I'm a double digit handicap and it's not because I can't keep up to my buddies off the tee. It's because their short game is miles ahead of mine. I'm a basket case inside of 100 yards and it's where I gain most of my strokes.

I get the ego thing too. I play with enough guys who say that they are blow me in handicap but I regularily beat straight up. I take pride being the honest handicap in my group even if I'm the highest. See every ball down and post every score. I've better my personal best twice this year already as well as shot one of my worst rounds. Days like that happen, but as long as you are inputting it honestly, it all evens out.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post:

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow