Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2022, 10:43 AM   #381
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

For the ash legs I did 2 coats of Saman black stain. After that I used the same finish for the whole piece:

1/3 General Arm R Seal
1/3 Boiled Linseed Oil
1/3 Tung Oil

1. Apply liberally and let sit about 20 mins before wiping everything off (doing your best to remove everything).

2. Let sit for 48 hrs

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 for a total of three coats

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2022, 10:55 AM   #382
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gonna have to give that a shot, turned out beautiful.
Thanks
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2022, 11:19 AM   #383
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
For the ash legs I did 2 coats of Saman black stain. After that I used the same finish for the whole piece:

1/3 General Arm R Seal
1/3 Boiled Linseed Oil
1/3 Tung Oil

1. Apply liberally and let sit about 20 mins before wiping everything off (doing your best to remove everything).

2. Let sit for 48 hrs

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 for a total of three coats

Why do you mix both tung and linseed oil? I'm a novice woodworker and I thought those two oils did the same basic thing.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:45 AM   #384
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

This is a question I do not have an answer to. I’ve adopted this as my go to finish on a few projects now. I picked it up after following @Garawood on Instagram. He is a local who makes incredible rocking chairs in the Sam Maloof form. I felt if it was a finish that would stand the test of time on a rocking chair it should be nice and durable.

Old 05-24-2022, 01:41 PM   #385
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

The main reason I could think to mix tung oil and linseed oil would be to get some color, but not too much. Linseed oil imparts a lot more color than tung oil does, so if you want some darkening/color but not too much, you can strike a bit of a balance by using both.

I think people mainly use that combo because that's what Sam Maloof used. Though really, I think almost any oil/varnish mixture would look good over the insanely good surface prep that his furniture has. Though I believe Maloof also used a linseed oil/tung oil/beeswax mixture as the final topcoat on most of his furniture which would give a bit of a different look/texture compared to an oil/varnish mix.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 09:39 PM   #386
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just finished up debranching and logging our latest downed tree, and I’ve left the base somewhat intact so I can play with some different slices for food trays or cutting boards, etc (not sure if I’m ready to mill live edge yet). Could get some cool patterns down at the base. I’ve done this before out of smaller trees for some other crafts and candle holders, but I’m hit and miss on sealing them so they don’t crack. Any tips for aging before sealing, and what to seal with? Regular sealer as well as food grade?

Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 01:06 PM   #387
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

surferguy has finished my second table. It is not quite as tall but it is longer (6 feet instead of 5 feet) and it has a shelf underneath. As per the first table he built for me, I am more than pleased with the end result. I will let him tell what woods he used.

Thanks again surferguy.

redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2022, 01:47 PM   #388
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^awesome! absolutely awesome!
Old 08-01-2022, 03:21 PM   #389
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Looks rad, man. Also, I love your shutters.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2022, 04:04 PM   #390
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Looks rad, man. Also, I love your shutters.

Closing those plantation shutters during the day makes a huge difference in the heat we have been getting. I do have air conditioning but they still make a huge difference.

Also, they are super easy to clean as there is no cord running through the middle of them.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2022, 07:45 PM   #391
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Thanks for posting redforever. These projects have been fun to work on, certainly a challenge for me. I genuinely appreciate the opportunity, trust and your patience while I slowly chipped away at getting them done over the last months.

If anybody has an interest - the table top consists of Black Limba, walnut, cherry and paduak (from the inside out).

The lower shelf and legs are made from ash that has been stained black and “walnut” color.

It’s difficult to see but there is some subtle but amazing grain matching on the lower shelf.

Overall I am very happy with the results of the piece, it’s not perfect but those secrets die with me.

It’s time for a bit of a holiday from the shop, I reckon.

Old 08-01-2022, 08:38 PM   #392
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for posting redforever. These projects have been fun to work on, certainly a challenge for me. I genuinely appreciate the opportunity, trust and your patience while I slowly chipped away at getting them done over the last months.

If anybody has an interest - the table top consists of Black Limba, walnut, cherry and paduak (from the inside out).

The lower shelf and legs are made from ash that has been stained black and “walnut” color.

It’s difficult to see but there is some subtle but amazing grain matching on the lower shelf.

Overall I am very happy with the results of the piece, it’s not perfect but those secrets die with me.

It’s time for a bit of a holiday from the shop, I reckon.
It looks awesome.

Being a trades person involved in so much oil and gas work often my skills are used for art projects time to time.

Did you use a branding iron for all those shapes? I have made quite a few. I am assuming the answer is yes.

With metal I can amaze people. Yet that finish on the wood I would not have a clue how to do that.

That job took alot a time and effort clearly. I bet it was not cheap either. It looks expensive and it should be.

I always find it funny when someone wants something that is unique and a one off never to be done again, yet thinks they should pay walmart pricing.

It looks amazing.

Well done!
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:31 PM   #393
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubeyr1 View Post
Did you use a branding iron for all those shapes? I have made quite a few. I am assuming the answer is yes.
That's figured wood. Because it's all end grain, you get very similar (but not identical) shapes with each piece. Imagine taking a 48" long board, cutting it into 2" lengths, and then gluing the 24 pieces side by side. With a plain board, it'd end up looking more like a butcher block, but with figured wood you can get all kinds of interesting shapes like in that table.

Very painstaking work though. The boards need to be dimensioned almost perfectly and extremely square. Especially on a 6' long table.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 10:31 PM   #394
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
That's figured wood. Because it's all end grain, you get very similar (but not identical) shapes with each piece. Imagine taking a 48" long board, cutting it into 2" lengths, and then gluing the 24 pieces side by side. With a plain board, it'd end up looking more like a butcher block, but with figured wood you can get all kinds of interesting shapes like in that table.

Very painstaking work though. The boards need to be dimensioned almost perfectly and extremely square. Especially on a 6' long table.
I’m curious - what exactly do you not have extensive knowledge of?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2022, 07:19 AM   #395
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had to go back and look again, didn’t realize the padauk was end grain also and thought there would be an issue with expansion lines. Very nice work.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:50 AM   #396
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

My turn to pump some tires as a fellow member!

After dropping of the tables to redforever last week or so they were kind enough to share some of their talents with me.

Check out these amazing baked goods they dropped off for my family to try!

The circular focaccia was a sweet treat featuring figs and pear slices. I was weary at first of the large pieces laid on top but after digging in there was no turning back.

The square was a savory option with peppers, olives and onions - not quite my world but my wife loved it.

The last was a pan of dynamite cinnamon rolls. These lasted about 10 minutes before it was and empty pan slowly spinning to a stop on the counter top.

I would strongly recommend getting on the good side of redforever so you too can enjoy some of these treats!

Thanks again!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2022, 11:53 AM   #397
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post

I literally have no idea about anything you just said.

Please ignore my ignorance.

A lot of posters here try to be the smartest person in the room. In this case you probably are.

It looks amazing.
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:16 AM   #398
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mentioned in another thread that I had a Halloween project in the works made of twigs liberated from my neighbour's dead tree. Here's the finished result: meet The Wicker Man!

Inspired by the original 1973 movie, the idea was kicking around for at least a year. We got to work right after the tree came down and finished it off yesterday morning. I must point out that my youngest was a full participant, not only designing the hands and feet, but the head as well.

It's much larger than I thought it would be (close to 7 feet tall!). The plan is to stake him to the front lawn a few weeks before Halloween and on the 31st we stuff him with dry ice and red lights and scare the bejeezus out of the trick or treaters. If all goes according to plan it'll be even more spectacular than last Halloween when our inflatables exploded.

Large pics attached, with child included for scale:

Spoiler!

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 07:32 AM   #399
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

That will look super cool! I really thought you were going to say burn him! That would be awesome as well

Old 08-15-2022, 07:33 AM   #400
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That will look super cool! I really thought you were going to say burn him! That would be awesome as well

Well, Guy Fawkes Day is shortly after Halloween...

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote