Old 10-22-2020, 09:08 PM   #661
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Nope, it's car hole.

https://twitter.com/user/status/476641398859776000

I will say this - people who tweet a lot and then protect their tweets, should probably be shot off into the sun.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:11 PM   #662
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I will say this - people who tweet a lot and then protect their tweets, should probably be shot off into the sun.

I mean my tweets weren't great but I never tied people up and forced them to read. But I could've 'cause I'm a big guy and I'm good with knots.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:08 PM   #663
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Unless you are saying that market rate for suburban parking is $0, then unfortunately nobody is suggesting that.
Suburban street parking in front of houses is likely near zero value unless near a train station.

My dream would be dynamic pricing everywhere that ensures that every block has one spot available at all times. Nenshi caved on the C-train parking fee by making half of it first come first serve. It all should have a cost. Outside of areas surrounding trains though there almost is always room therefore value is zero.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 02:24 PM   #664
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Suburban street parking in front of houses is likely near zero value unless near a train station.

There’s no way you believe this? Unless you’re saying inner city street parking is only valuable because of the businesses in the area?

In which case, that solution is awfully easy - make parking a requirement for businesses, or they can lease city owned space exclusively at the valued rate.

I would be willing to bet there are more vehicles per property in the suburbs vs, inner city, by a significant margin.

Edit: Sorry, re-read and it’s clear how you define value, so ignore that. But I still disagree entirely that suburban parking is readily available.

Last edited by 81MC; 10-24-2020 at 02:27 PM.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:45 PM   #665
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post

There’s no way you believe this? Unless you’re saying inner city street parking is only valuable because of the businesses in the area?

In which case, that solution is awfully easy - make parking a requirement for businesses, or they can lease city owned space exclusively at the valued rate.

I would be willing to bet there are more vehicles per property in the suburbs vs, inner city, by a significant margin.

Edit: Sorry, re-read and it’s clear how you define value, so ignore that. But I still disagree entirely that suburban parking is readily available.
Many municipalities impose off-street parking requirements for commercial developments which, if not met, require cash payments (I’ve seen ~$20,000-$25,000 per stall). The money is used to build off-street parking lots.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:08 PM   #666
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post

I don’t have an issue if the same philosophy was used for suburbia as well. There should always be a pace to park for a fee no matter where you go. This idea that you are entitled to the parking in front of your home for free (or anywhere) is a problem. The answer is not to have businesses provide parking spaces. That is a bad idea as it forces all customers to subsidize people who drove to the business.

This idea that people should be able to lark in front of their house essentially eliminates the possibility of a bike lane down 5 ave from 17th to elbow.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 10:39 PM   #667
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
This idea that people should be able to lark in front of their house essentially eliminates the possibility of a bike lane down 5 ave from 17th to elbow.
It's the missing link the system needs.

As much as I'd love to see the sidewalks made wider, that cycle track connection would provide much more benefit.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 10:46 AM   #668
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Shock among shock.. Jeromy Farkas is grandstanding and misrepresenting himself:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1323245897321345024

Contrary to

https://twitter.com/user/status/1323277240482910213

And clarified by the city clerk

https://twitter.com/user/status/1323312544644255745

This guy is such a ####ing fraud.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:14 PM   #669
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I see the Farkas fan club is out in full force in his replies, soaking up every word he says without question.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:35 PM   #670
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

LOL the best part of that is his link to get more details is an OPINION article, written by himself, for the Calgary Sun. Play to your base, I guess. What a turd that guy is.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:35 PM   #671
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I see the Farkas fan club is out in full force in his replies, soaking up every word he says without question.
I've attracted some of the flies after calling out his BS.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:36 PM   #672
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go Farkas yourself, Jeromy.
TorqueDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:39 PM   #673
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like we know who is funding Farkas' mayoral bid.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1323297929340223488

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:43 PM   #674
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's never been a secret. During Cal Wenzel's 'mafia-like' backroom meeting he pleaded with other developers to support The Manning Centre to get rid of Nenshi.

Farkas worked for The Manning Centre directly before becoming a councilor.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:44 PM   #675
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone should probably wake up to the fact guys like Farkas will bs their way to the mayor seat. There's too many people with no grasp how this stuff works and he will play on their preconceived notions about leftists taking over the city. We aren't immune to what's happening elsewhere.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 12:48 PM   #676
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Weird that Jeromy Farkas and Shane Wenzel, two individuals with no credibility on the matter, believe they know better what is appropriate for the Calgary Police than the Calgary Police themselves:

Quote:
Neufeld said that historically, policing has been a threat to the safety of Black, Indigenous and racialized people.

“And it’s a legacy so deeply rooted that, unbeknownst to us, it can show up in our daily work.”
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...-open-question

Quote:
As the Executive Leadership Team, we are committed to addressing systemic racism in the Calgary Police Service (CPS). We know that the very foundation by which policing was created was inherently racist, and yet, our vision today is to lead a police service that is committed to dismantling systems of inequity by working to become anti-racist and relentless in our pursuit of equity, diversity and inclusion.
https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings....umentId=138584
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 01:04 PM   #677
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Everyone should probably wake up to the fact guys like Farkas will bs their way to the mayor seat. There's too many people with no grasp how this stuff works and he will play on their preconceived notions about leftists taking over the city. We aren't immune to what's happening elsewhere.