Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2020, 02:37 PM   #21
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

The wife and I purchased Pedego EBikes and I just received mine when the weather turned bad so I haven't been able to ride it yet. Hoping for next week. We like to get out cycling and this will help us with that as we get older. In addition to that we will take them to our Golf Course in the summer and leave the car at home. For us we will get more exercise as we wouldn't take regular bikes to the Golf Course ever as it's uphill all the way home.
Just want this weather to warm up a little so I can get some rides in before winter really sets in.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:40 PM   #22
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Agree with what others said. It's not a lazy excuse for riding (for most people), but I never ride like I'm training for the Tour de France. I ride because it's a way to get around that is often faster than anything else. When I was in Calgary I rode from Renfrew to Quarry Park. It's mostly flat, but some hills. I would dial up the pedal assist on the hills. I regularly would get 90km out of my 6.5Ah battery because of how little I actually used the electric assist. But when you have a 50 km/h headwind at the end of the day to start your 16 km ride and you'll have that the ENTIRE ride. It's a feeling of defeat before you've even started, and the eBike takes that away.

It's all about how you use it.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:44 PM   #23
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

For a lot of people (me included) the benefit of riding a bike is just as much improved mental health as it is physical health. So if riding an ebike gets you out of the house and your car so you can get some fresh air and peace of mind, do it and ignore what others say.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:47 PM   #24
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
For a lot of people (me included) the benefit of riding a bike is just as much improved mental health as it is physical health. So if riding an ebike gets you out of the house and your car so you can get some fresh air and peace of mind, do it and ignore what others say.
I miss my commute so much. But even if I was still in Calgary and there was no Covid, it would be so much harder. I work Eastern time hours on Pacific time. I now go for a ride along the ocean a couple of times a month if I can find the time. But it SUUUUUCKS because I don't have that daily moment of zen to collect myself before work and decompress at the end.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:57 PM   #25
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I miss my commute so much. But even if I was still in Calgary and there was no Covid, it would be so much harder. I work Eastern time hours on Pacific time. I now go for a ride along the ocean a couple of times a month if I can find the time. But it SUUUUUCKS because I don't have that daily moment of zen to collect myself before work and decompress at the end.
When we ditched the office and went remote a couple years ago I really missed my commute. You're right about decompressing after work. The morning ride was a mental hurdle some days but I always appreciated I did it when I got to work.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:04 PM   #26
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Commuting / carrying cargo makes sense. I can buy into that.

But as someone who uses their bikes purely for pleasure and training purposes, and treats hills and headwind as an extra training bonus (rule #5), I have a hard time respecting my (totally mobile) neighbour who is bragging to me about doing 60K in two hours, only to drop later in the conversation that it was on his eBike.
I'd be surprised if he was bragging versus just chatting to his fellow-cyclist neighbour about a shared interest (cycling). When I get home from rides covered in sweat I'm not thinking to myself how I was "ebiking" - I am thinking about my bike ride.

It's like anything...you can take a leisurely ride anywhere you want on an analog bike or you can give'r and get a great workout. You get out of something what you put in. With an ebike, you can ride it analogue if you want. On pedal assist one, I'm pretty much just overcoming the extra weight of the battery/motor/etc. of the ebike as well as the fat tires to ride pretty much like my normal bike. On two I get a bit of a boost that helps me get home quicker to start on supper and stuff for my family.

For commuting, I wouldn't ride an analogue bike. I'd be way too sweaty by the time I got to work and I'd have to leave 20 minutes earlier - time I'd rather spend sleeping. And on the way home I get my workout by turning the assist down, but if I had a long day and am super tired or something, I can always crank up the assist to make it easier on myself. On no planet is any of that weird.

I'll bet your neighbour got more exercise on his ebike than 90% of Calgarians that probably didn't do any physical activity on any given day. And 60km on an ebike in two hours would require a fair amount of pedaling. They're governed at 32km/h (if he hasn't disabled the governor), but will slow down considerably up a hill with a full-grown man in the saddle. So if he was averaging 30km/h, he was likely pedaling the whole time. That's beside the point anyway, though. It's ultra-lame to think ebiking is lame. Like, the dude is doing everything you're doing (pedaling around on two wheels), except he's going further faster. That's pretty much the only difference. Time is valuable.

Also, just because you have an ebike doesn't mean you don't have a normal bike, too. I enjoy riding my bike and also modelling exercising in front of my kids, but the ebike adds a bit of spice that's really fun.

Best part of all, though, is you can get super fataed up and ride to and fro without really worrying about a dui. Like, I've never been pulled over on a bike so I don't think it's a big concern.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:57 PM   #27
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Best part of all, though, is you can get super fataed up and ride to and fro without really worrying about a dui. Like, I've never been pulled over on a bike so I don't think it's a big concern.
One of my favourite parts about biking as well!

Nothing better than riding home (and skipping all the traffic) after a few heroin beers and a Flames win!
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 05:05 PM   #28
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I love threads like this. This morning I wasn't even thinking about an ebike as my normie bike sits in my garage. Now I'm actively thinking about which Rad model is right for me and all the small travels I would prefer to do on a bike instead but were otherwise slightly out of reach.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 07:24 AM   #29
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Perhaps I don't understand ebikes. Please help me to do so. My big question, simply (and harshly) put, isn't it a bike for lazy people? Wouldn't you be better off to just ride a regular pedal bike?

One of my knees is buggered up from skiing and I can’t put full weight on it to ride up hills. I’ve tried ebikes a couple of times and get just enough boost when I need it to climb hills while still getting some exercise. Definitely going to pick one up in the spring.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:05 AM   #30
SilverKast
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have an Opus Pronghorn that I use to commute to and from work when it's not too cold out (I hate being cold). I go about 17km each way and the ebike is ideal for this distance I find. You can still get a great workout if you dial down the assist, or you can crank it up and have an nice enjoyable ride with some moderate exercise.

If I feel like more of a workout I'll ride my road bike, but the ebike is a lot more versatile for my purposes. If it was purely for recreation or working out I'd probably use something else, but for commuting it's fantastic. Everyone who's ever jumped on to test it out loves it as well.

I'm not a big fan of the ebikes that use a throttle and require no pedaling though. Those I would maybe consider cheating as there's no effort there. And I don't believe they are legally allowed on bike paths anyhow as they're considered a motorized vehicle.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:49 PM   #31
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I know its been a few months since this thread got started, but I thought I'd bump it to get some more discussion going.

I am looking at purchasing one and need some recommendations or advice - what to look for, what to avoid, your own experiences riding and purchasing, etc.

I have been researching a lot of the standards that I read about in this thread in addition to some other companies like Biktrix and Rize.

I am looking for a good combo bike that I can ride to work or maybe join my son on some easy trails on the weekends.

Thanks in advance.

Cap'n Otto.
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:53 PM   #32
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

My dad and brother have e-bikes. My dad last summer and my brother just a few weeks ago- my brother got lucky though, as availability on bikes of any kind is basically non-existent right now and pre-orders are onto 2022.

Anyway, I demo’d my brothers brand new Trek Domane+ alr 6 for about 10km a couple weeks ago. Fairly enjoyable ride and quality bike with or without the electical component. Was quite surprised how subtle the boost was, but perhaps I was just not familiar with how to increase it. A good description might be that it was always like there was always a moderate wind at your back. You still have to work on the hills etc. And you are arent going to be totally screwed if the battery dies and you are in the middle of nowhere- you will just be on a slightly heavier road bike. Complete guess that I in no way can qualify, but as far as the domane+ alr 6, I would guess you are burning maybe 75-80% of the calories you would on a conventional bike. It has a very reliable groupset with Shimano 105s- you would obviously be getting a considerably better groupset on a regular road bike if you are spending 6K, but 105s are just fine in this case. And Im sure the higher tiered road ebikes are onto ultegra etc

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 05-26-2021 at 11:17 PM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:18 AM   #33
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We bought a bike from Biktrix for my wife this spring. She has collapsed disks in her back, so riding up hills is a no-no per her doctor. This way, she can just electric assist up any hills we come to. I've been an avid cyclist forever, it is great we can get out together.

Overall satisfied with Biktrix. I did the final assembly on the bike and I am happy with the quality and packaging. Everything arrived in good order. It is heavy, sure - but that is the tradeoff for the motor/battery. We went with a Stunner and it seems like it is a decent bike for running around town on. There is an active Biktrix Facebook group, and the company owner (Roshan) drops in a lot to answer questions and concerns.

The ordering process was straightforward, and because we wanted a bike that was in stock everything arrived pretty promptly. Communication was good through the whole process. Like other brands, they do have some models that are backed up due to demand.

I'm still trying the approach of stretches and exercise to see if I can get my knee to feel better, but as I am on the wrong side of 50 I am really giving some thought to getting an ebike for myself too. I can really see it getting a bunch of use for running errands/grocery trips etc.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:18 AM   #34
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I picked up the Santa Cruz Heckler (along with 2 of my buddies) and they're game changers. Totally capable enduro style mountain bikes that you can HAUL ASS on up the trail, and then charge the downhill like the battery weight isn't even there.

I live at the base of world class trails in Fernie, and this bike is worth every single penny.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2021, 11:20 AM   #35
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had one for a few years now.

There's really no gain whatsoever on flat surfaces. Slightly faster acceleration from stops but who cares about that.

Hills are where they really help.

#1 thing: Make absolutely sure the front chainring has narrow wide teeth. Otherwise you will deal with horrifying chain derailments.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:20 PM   #36
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I've had one for a few years now.

There's really no gain whatsoever on flat surfaces. Slightly faster acceleration from stops but who cares about that.

Hills are where they really help.

#1 thing: Make absolutely sure the front chainring has narrow wide teeth. Otherwise you will deal with horrifying chain derailments.
No gain on flats? What size motor do you have? I can effortlessly cruise at 37 on flats if I want.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:30 PM   #37
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
No gain on flats? What size motor do you have? I can effortlessly cruise at 37 on flats if I want.
I don't need a motor to do that.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:35 PM   #38
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I’ve got a rad wagon cargo and I love the thing. I rode 25 km today with my two boys on the back to hit a random park. It was a great way to spend the afternoon.

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:17 PM   #39
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I don't need a motor to do that.
Either you're joking around or I've greatly underestimated how fast some cyclists ride.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:53 PM   #40
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Either you're joking around or I've greatly underestimated how fast some cyclists ride.
Id say on a flat with not too much wind involved, a pretty good cyclist might average somewhere around 30 over a 5k stretch. The rockstars into the mid and higher 30s.

Someone cruising at 37 though on a flat is kicking ass on the overwhelming majority of us on conventional road bikes.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 05-27-2021 at 08:57 PM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post: