Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-15-2020, 06:43 PM   #1
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Burke’s Law Book

Just finished Burke’s Law, Brian Burke’s biography written by Stephen Brunt,
that came out a couple days ago. Thoroughly entertaining all the way through with great story after great story and tidbits about all parts of the hockey business.

Flames related he talks about repping Joel Otto and Brett Hull, the Phaneuf trade, a fair bit on his time in hockey ops with the Flames, Tkachuk draft, Wideman incident, and that Giordano was one of his favourite captains.

I figured it would be way more enjoyable if I could listen to it in audiobook format and managed to get it online through a library. Listening to Burke’s book read by Burke himself was like sitting with him while he spoke nonstop about his life for 9 straight hours.

Highly highly recommend to read or listen. The audiobook is available on Audible too if you have a subscription.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 02:40 PM   #2
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the review! I pre-ordered it but haven't gotten into it yet.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:47 PM   #3
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Burke came out a few times as a guest speaker at our Sports and Entertainment Law course at UBC. He is so genuine - what you see on TV is exactly what he is like in person.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:05 PM   #4
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Brian Burke story time.

I'm going to preface this by saying that I don't understand why some people love to crap on him. He's a dinosaur, he's a sourpuss, he's wrong, etc... Yeah, he knows the game of managing a hockey team has passed him by and he knows he's a curmudgeon.

Also, when he's wrong he freely admits it.

I've met and spoken with BB a handful of times over the years in Calgary and he's basically exactly who you think he is. Only much, much nicer. The game of hockey is better with him in it.

Some highlights if anyone is interested:
  • Lance Bouma and Paul Byron were his favorite PK'ers.
  • He loved smack talking to Bouma about his terrible stick handling ability.
  • He said the long line change for visiting teams is his biggest reason to have home ice advantage.
  • He did not have any work/life balance advice for me ("I've been fired X times and divorced Y times during my career. No one should be listening to me about this topic.")
  • When he was fired from the Leafs and walking through the ACC concourse to leave, they were dismantling his Burkie's hot dog stand. He did not like that and also said those hot dogs were super high quality. He had intimate knowledge of this operation.
  • He's up before 6am every day and on the treadmill for an hour before heading into the office/rink. He does not sleep until at least a couple hours after the game. He's basically a machine.
  • He smelled like a spring meadow.
  • Yes, he wears his tie/hair like that because he enjoys how it bothers people.

We talked about about a slew of things over those conversations, but that's all I can remember. I wish he was still involved with the Flames in some official capacity.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 04:07 PM   #5
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a huge Burke fan. I've noticed a correlation between people that don't like him, and people that don't know much about hockey. He can be opinionated which people mistake for arrogance, but he's one of the nicest people in hockey
Old 10-16-2020, 04:13 PM   #6
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I'm a huge Burke fan. I've noticed a correlation between people that don't like him, and people that don't know much about hockey. He can be opinionated which people mistake for arrogance, but he's one of the nicest people in hockey
Completely agree. The people that don’t like Burke are the type of people who constantly need things sugarcoated for them.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:35 AM   #7
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've seen him speak and met him briefly and would agree, very genuine - he is exactly as you would expect him to be. Only difference is now I think he actually wears his tie properly when speaking
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #8
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have always felt the way him and the way the Flames parted ways was interesting. In the the interviews he has given regarding the book he has mentioned that Ken King told him they were going a different direction in February.

He had always talked about wanting to be in Calgary for 10 years, bringing home a cup etc. I think ownership at the time felt that they were not getting much in the way of value with him and decided to part ways.

The Flames missed the playoffs, Gully was a disaster, Brouwer signing was terrible and many many more issues.

I have always wondered how conversations with ownership and management go when deals or moves happen that don't make sense at the time and then turn into disasters later on.

I know a lot of fans like to think the business aspects don't matter as much but generally speaking, the type of mistakes that happen with sports aren't allowed to happen with the same frequency in business.

I have always liked Burke, think he's a good man and a good hockey mind. I do think he had an excellent situation that led to a cup win with the Ducks in 07 and kind of rode that success to other markets like Toronto and Calgary.

His straight talking, in your face bluster and draft day moves earned him a large rep of being a massive winner but a deeper dive of his body of work over his career show his team's weren't all that great.

Still like the guy and will read the book.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:16 PM   #9
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn’t like Burke the GM but he’s a regular guest on Team1260 and he is knowledgeable (of course, with his resume) and seems likeable and genuine. Now I like and enjoy the guy.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:49 PM   #10
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah he's a great interview. Always like when he pops on the radio. His times on spittin chiclets were great as well
Old 11-20-2020, 08:48 AM   #11
GC91
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I really think my father would enjoy Brian Burkes new book for Christmas but he is getting older and I don't think he would read it and is technologically illiterate to say the least. I live across the country from him so it would be a lot of trouble to help him out with how to use audio books. Is there a way to get this book in a CD format? Would anyone be able to create this and I could pay you? I just want it to be as simple as him being able to sit down, put it in the cd player have a beer and listen.
GC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:36 PM   #12
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Got it for Christmas, finished it in a couple of evenings. Like a lot of hockey books, a pretty easy read but entertaining. Brunt does a great job capturing Burke's voice. Lots of good things said about Flames org and Calgary in general. It really does seem like he got screwed in Toronto in the end.

All in all, the book paints Burke as a pretty strong family guy with a lot of principles. I liked the guy when he was with the Flames and it seems like he is happy now in broadcasting.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:00 PM   #13
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Brian Burke once said he hated brown suits.

I'm not sure why he had such a strong opinion on such a benign topic.

That's all i have.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:12 PM   #14
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I'm three chapters in and love it so far. Highly recommended.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:46 PM   #15
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ordered one already. Can't wait to start reading!
Old 12-30-2020, 05:50 PM   #16
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was merely ok. Imagine a classic hockey dinosaur and that’s Burke.

The family stuff was interesting and new though.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:20 PM   #17
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s funny that Burke’s fans in the thread are already claiming anyone that doesn’t like him must not understand hockey or can’t handle the truth.

I am OK with Burke’s style but do sometimes find his analysis a little too black and white and lacking nuance. No doubt he’s a smart guy so I imagine he does that for a broad TV audience. As a GM, his reputation far exceeds his performance. But his personality gives him a voice and guys like him are good for the game IMO.

There aren’t many good hockey books out there so I might give this one a read.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:31 PM   #18
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

I got the book for Christmas. Going to read it , but skipped to the last chapter as I knew he would have the Calgary stuff

Said Hartley met his shelf life and took the singling out of people too far towards the end (like on the team plane), and Gulutzan let the veterans dictate too much, like thinking Brian Elliott deserved the next start in the playoffs

Good story about cutting Treliving in Vancouver. When he told Tre he was cutting him, Tre said something along the lines that he was making a mistake and he was going to play in that building one day. Burke apparently told Tre the only way he was going to see a game in that building was if he bought a ticket

Personally, although Burke didn’t say this, I get a kick out of the fact they were both wrong. In fact, Burke hired Tre and paid him to watch many, many games without needing to purchase a ticket

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 12-30-2020 at 06:33 PM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 12:00 PM   #19
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like it's going to be a bit of a series.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:50 PM   #20
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am finishing the book now. Honestly, it was below my expectations for it. As much as I always hated listening to Feaster speaking meaningless platitudes, I always loved listening to Burke speak - always straightforward, always to the point and always without mincing words. The book is definitely in those same lines, but I almost felt he's trying to prove something to somebody in it. Maybe some old unresolved grudges? Yeah, a few good hockey stories were juicy, but too much "my way or high way", too many repetitions, too much of "my three principles and I have a Harvard law degree" stuff, which I found boring about half-way into the book. It was not nearly as entertaining as I was anticipating. Sean Avery's book was way more fun to read. Meh, $29...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post: