Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2020, 12:15 AM   #461
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Yeah quality of the meat. Less processed.
The one not being talked about here enough is the Chicken Stack from Shake Shack. I realize that it's not available in Calgary, but I would rank it #1 ahead of Popeyes, Mary Brown, and Chick Fil A.
I haven’t heard this before. Their burgers are tasty as hell so never thought to try their chicken sandwich. Thanks for the recommendation, I’m going to try it.

I’m not a big Popeye’s fan, maybe because they are everywhere here and I just kind of think of it as another greasy fast food joint. The spicy chicken at CFA is good but when kids were younger, felt like I ate there once a week.

Raising Cane’s is pretty good fast food fried chicken in the US IMO. More in the south but have moved into Colorado at least.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:14 AM   #462
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I felt unwell after eating there and it was 100% the seasoning.
You might be the first person in the world to get sick off of seasoning.
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:26 PM   #463
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Hold up, what is the pricey sit down restaurant fried chicken that beats Korean?
I can't think of anywhere in Calgary. But the best fried chicken I've had is at Homecomin' is Disney Springs, Orlando. I've had real tasty stuff at a couple other restaurants in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Except for seasoning. If you don't get the sauced up versions, there's basically no seasoning on Korean fried chicken. It's its major flaw.
Maybe change up the places you go. Ogam has regular chicken, shallot and soy, and hot garlic. The shallot and soy doesn't have sauce - it looks identical to the regular fried chicken - but it's definitely flavourful.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:05 PM   #464
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish I was able to travel again for work so I could try the Canadian version as I'm usually out in Toronto weekly, since the closest Popeye's to me (I'm in Vancouver) is Coquitlam and I'm not going out to Coquitlam for a chicken sandwich. I had it in New York before the virus and it was fantastic.

On a sort of related note, McDonald's came out with three new McChicken sandwiches in order of spice level (habanero, scotch bonnet and ghost pepper). I was hoping the actual chicken patty would be flavoured according to the spice level, but the new sandwiches are just McChickens with the sauce you choose placed in the burger. Disappointing and it's not going to compete with Popeye's.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:30 PM   #465
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

^^^^^^

Yeah, they just saw the chicken sandwich wars coming and from a marketing standpoint they had to get in on it. But that is literally all they did was add three sauces. Their model doesn't allow for a really nice piece of chicken in every sandwich, simply not their game.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 04:38 PM   #466
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Herald did an analysis and compared all chicken sandwiches, including Popeye's and selected Popeye's, Inglewood Drive In and Cluck N Cleaver.

Interested to try Inglewood Drive In. Looks good.

I'll probably also try the Wendy's chicken sandwich as they have the best fast food chicken finger type things out there.

calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:57 PM   #467
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
^^^^^^

Yeah, they just saw the chicken sandwich wars coming and from a marketing standpoint they had to get in on it. But that is literally all they did was add three sauces. Their model doesn't allow for a really nice piece of chicken in every sandwich, simply not their game.
They did this last year. They changed the jalapeño for scotch bonnet. None of them are as hot as they should be. Which is lame but understandable.
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:40 AM   #468
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
KFC's Famous Chicken Sandwich was okay. I like the Big Crunch better. Actually, I like DQ's Crispy Chicken Sandwich better. I'll hit Popeye's up next week.
Have you tried Wing King? It's just in that strip mall thing between Fatburger and Subway. They are really good, and you can get the chicken sauced.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:43 AM   #469
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Herald did an analysis and compared all chicken sandwiches, including Popeye's and selected Popeye's, Inglewood Drive In and Cluck N Cleaver.

Interested to try Inglewood Drive In. Looks good.

I'll probably also try the Wendy's chicken sandwich as they have the best fast food chicken finger type things out there.

I probably get the Wendy's spicy chicken more than any other kind just because of the price point and their options for sides. I do often find that they have been sitting too long.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:24 PM   #470
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Tried the new Popeyes sandwich and the famous one from KFC. Thought the the KFC one was better but both of them had way too much breading.

Wendy’s Spicy Chicken with pickles is my go to for fast food chicken sandwiches.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:28 PM   #471
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Have you tried Wing King? It's just in that strip mall thing between Fatburger and Subway. They are really good, and you can get the chicken sauced.
I have been wanting to try Wing King ever since I moved into the "Neighbourhood" about 8 years ago. Normally I'll be driving by, see the place and think, "I should eat there soon". Then I forget.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:51 PM   #472
CactusJack
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I finally got to try the Popeyes chicken sandwich and was pretty underwhelmed as well. They had a bunch all pre-made to keep up with demand and the bun was pretty dry, there was too much breading on the chicken, the pickles were almost flavourless, and it was just very “meh” overall. I’ll try again in a few months when the fad dies down but I doubt it’s something I would ever order again after that to be honest.
CactusJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:05 PM   #473
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had the Popeye's sandwich today for the first time.

It was magical.
_Q_ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2020, 07:59 AM   #474
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I decided to give the fried chicken at Jollibee a try over the weekend, a mix of spicy and regular. It was not good. Greasy, bland, and reminiscent of grocery store cafeteria fried chicken. Not very enjoyable.

Also tried the cheese yumburger. That was indescribably gross. There are no words for what the “cheese” was. It tasted like a gross combo of kraft single melted with mayo and sugar.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:07 AM   #475
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ Thanks, we have been meaning to go try Jollibee, but we never seem to get over there. Lucky us.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:27 AM   #476
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
^^ Thanks, we have been meaning to go try Jollibee, but we never seem to get over there. Lucky us.
As someone who has travelled Asia quite a bit I never understood the hype of Jolibee opening here. Any Korean fried chicken place in the city will have better food
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2020, 08:54 AM   #477
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Palabok Fiesta is the best dish
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:08 AM   #478
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Carnival Cafe has a great chicken sandwich. They have a great burger as well. Got the recommendation from Crack Mac's earlier this year. Great hangover food. Located in Dover.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:10 AM   #479
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
As someone who has travelled Asia quite a bit I never understood the hype of Jolibee opening here. Any Korean fried chicken place in the city will have better food

Yeah, now I am definitely craving some Korean chicken. A Wow Chicken opened up in the NW. I haven’t been yet, so maybe that will be next weekend’s fried chicken adventure.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:28 AM   #480
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Yeah, now I am definitely craving some Korean chicken. A Wow Chicken opened up in the NW. I haven’t been yet, so maybe that will be next weekend’s fried chicken adventure.
they've taken the veggie tempura off the menu. now how am I supposed to get a balanced, nutritious meal from that place?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post: