Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2014, 12:31 AM   #21
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Property taxes are a fair amount more in Chestermere than Calgary
Not really. Last year they were about the same. After Jan 1 they will be going down about 600 a month.

Chestermere is quiet and close to the city. With Stoney Trail it is usually only 15 minutes to the far north or deep south. Maybe 20-30 downtown, 40 if you take the train.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #22
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Not really. Last year they were about the same. After Jan 1 they will be going down about 600 a month.

Chestermere is quiet and close to the city. With Stoney Trail it is usually only 15 minutes to the far north or deep south. Maybe 20-30 downtown, 40 if you take the train.
25 minutes downtown with light traffic, usually 35-40 in the mornings depending on how bad Memorial is. I still get to the office faster than any of my coworkers that live in the deep south of the city. And yea thanks to Stoney I can reach any part of the city in half an hour, that road makes living in Chestermere much easier
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #23
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
25 minutes downtown with light traffic, usually 35-40 in the mornings depending on how bad Memorial is. I still get to the office faster than any of my coworkers that live in the deep south of the city. And yea thanks to Stoney I can reach any part of the city in half an hour, that road makes living in Chestermere much easier
Chestermere's new slogan "Come live in Chestermere, it's the new Airdrie"
Airdrie's new slogan "Now that Chestermer is the new Airdrie, today is the best time to move to Airdrie, it's the new Inner City of Calgary"
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #24
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Property taxes are a fair amount more in Chestermere than Calgary
No they're not. They're about the same as in Calgary.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:03 PM   #25
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's some Airdrie level reasoning right there...
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #26
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
Yeah, but in the end airdrie is only 15 minutes away from everywhere.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:42 PM   #27
Jonrox
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My experience is that if somebody loves outside of Calgary (Okotoks, Airdrie, Chestermere, etc...), or the deep south, NW, or SE... take the time they say it takes to get somewhere and add at least 15 minutes to get the actual time it takes to get there.

Once you live in those areas for any amount of time you convince yourself the commute isn't that bad (I used to be one of those people).

In reality, you'll take the money you save on a house and instead will pay for it on added fuel and wear and tear on your car.
Jonrox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonrox For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2014, 10:53 PM   #28
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonrox View Post
My experience is that if somebody loves outside of Calgary (Okotoks, Airdrie, Chestermere, etc...), or the deep south, NW, or SE... take the time they say it takes to get somewhere and add at least 15 minutes to get the actual time it takes to get there.

Once you live in those areas for any amount of time you convince yourself the commute isn't that bad (I used to be one of those people).

In reality, you'll take the money you save on a house and instead will pay for it on added fuel and wear and tear on your car.
Really? Why? These areas have all you need, why would you suddenly be driving so much more?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2014, 01:42 AM   #29
Jonrox
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Because things like friends, family, work, sports leagues, restaurants, pubs, etc... aren't all in those areas. At least this was my experience and I know a lot of people who lived the same way.

Just one example... When you live way out of the way, your friends will never come over - you'll always be the one traveling.

Work is another reason. Most people who live in Chestermere don't also work there. There's a commute and it's going to be longer than everybody tells you it is. But it's ok because soon after moving there you'll also come to believe it isn't a big deal and convince yourself you're using the drive to unwind on the way home.

Going out to a bar or lounge is a pain in the ass as well. You either can't drink because you have to drive home or you're taking cabs, which gets really expensive going that far.

I would never do it again. It's not as easy or saves as much money as everyone would have you believe. Take a close look at your priorities and lifestyle before choosing to live that far out of the city. I would never do it again.

Last edited by Jonrox; 12-27-2014 at 01:46 AM.
Jonrox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonrox For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2014, 08:39 AM   #30
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
No its not. When i worked downtown (4th ave and 5th St) i could take the train from Franklin to 7th ave and be at work in 45 minutes, including the drive.

The drive in to downtown from chestermere is about 35-40 minutes in the morning. If memorial is in bad shape it can be longer. The drive from downtown to chestermere via memorial is generally 25-30 minutes. It takes about 5-10 minutes to get out of downtown and then you fly down memorial. Seldom does the memorial to chestermere portion take longer than 20 minutes.

South Fish Creek hockey arena is a 25 minute drive with the ring road. Crossiron mills is around the same.

Chestermere is much closer to downtown than most suburban communities within in Calgary. From Cranston to downtown is 28 km while Chestermere to downtown is 20 km. Panaroma downtown is 23 km. Tuscany downtown is around 21 km. The difference is most of these have their own commuting challenges en route to downtown (crowchild, deerfoot, centre st) before dealing with the core traffic around downtown. Chestermere almost always flows free until the last stretch of memorial.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:51 AM   #31
ExiledFlamesFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Expect Airdrie levels of traffic trouble in the coming years when the population of Chestermere quadruples.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...tml?id=9280247

Personally I would never live on the east side of deerfoot and never live in one of these satellite communities, so chestermere is the worst of both worlds. But I could see the value if you work in one of those east end industrial parks.

Last edited by ExiledFlamesFan; 12-27-2014 at 08:53 AM.
ExiledFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #32
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

The last time I was in the lake, granted it was the mid 90's, it was gross.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #33
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
The last time I was in the lake, granted it was the mid 90's, it was gross.
It's still gross
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #34
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
No its not. When i worked downtown (4th ave and 5th St) i could take the train from Franklin to 7th ave and be at work in 45 minutes, including the drive.

The drive in to downtown from chestermere is about 35-40 minutes in the morning. If memorial is in bad shape it can be longer. The drive from downtown to chestermere via memorial is generally 25-30 minutes. It takes about 5-10 minutes to get out of downtown and then you fly down memorial. Seldom does the memorial to chestermere portion take longer than 20 minutes.

South Fish Creek hockey arena is a 25 minute drive with the ring road. Crossiron mills is around the same.

Chestermere is much closer to downtown than most suburban communities within in Calgary. From Cranston to downtown is 28 km while Chestermere to downtown is 20 km. Panaroma downtown is 23 km. Tuscany downtown is around 21 km. The difference is most of these have their own commuting challenges en route to downtown (crowchild, deerfoot, centre st) before dealing with the core traffic around downtown. Chestermere almost always flows free until the last stretch of memorial.
You're missing my attempt at (rather lame) humor.

He said he can get to work in 35-40 minutes in the morning. Then says he can get anywhere in the city in 30 mins. Just saying that's the same reasoning airdrie people use on CP ("oh during rush hour it takes me an hour but any other time its 15 minutes").

I can see this is a sensitive topic for you however considering your multi-paragraph post about how long it takes to get from Chestermere to anywhere in the city.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:43 PM   #35
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I vary seriously considered Chestemere the last time I move. Found there weren't enough houses on the market that were a fit for us a year and a half ago, and the property taxes were higher than other burbs. But I like the area and have allot of friends from there.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #36
Angelina
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
And with that we signal the end of the spirit of Christmas and kindness to mankind. Kindly return to pre-holiday selfs.
Lol!!!!
Angelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #37
Angelina
Draft Pick

Wow you guys are truly helping me a great deal! Just want to thank you for all your responses!

For me.. I especially need a bigger lot. We have 3 children and a big dog ( bull mastiff) who love to run around and play lots! I can't imagine putting them in a little yard. Right now we own in Edmonton (,although we are selling as we are in fort Mac and renting up here and have been renting our house in Edmonton to tenants for the last year.... Long ANNOYING story) and we have an ok size yard there. However it is inner city. Terwilligar in SW. There's enough room for trampoline and play house... And room to run.. But still not as big as I wish for. Langdon has HUGE yards that make me just loose my mind at the thought of it. But I'm thinking it may be to far away.

Do you all think I can get a nice size lot in Chestermere compared to inner city for my dollar?
Angelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #38
ExiledFlamesFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelina View Post
Wow you guys are truly helping me a great deal! Just want to thank you for all your responses!

Do you all think I can get a nice size lot in Chestermere compared to inner city for my dollar?
I'd recommend a neighbourhood around nose hill park in the north or fish creek park in the south.

Nose hill park is one of the biggest city parks in the world. Dogs love that place. Also there are many options depending on your budget. To the west and south are expensive communities (Edgemont and Brentwood/Charleswood), to the east and north there are much more affordable communities.

In terms of schooling there are no better neighbourhoods in Calgary than Brentwood or Charleswood. Public and catholic schools for all ages, plus UofC and SAIT for post secondary. When I have a family these two neighbourhoods will be at the top of my wish list.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #39
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
You're missing my attempt at (rather lame) humor.

He said he can get to work in 35-40 minutes in the morning. Then says he can get anywhere in the city in 30 mins. Just saying that's the same reasoning airdrie people use on CP ("oh during rush hour it takes me an hour but any other time its 15 minutes").

I can see this is a sensitive topic for you however considering your multi-paragraph post about how long it takes to get from Chestermere to anywhere in the city.
When I'm driving to other parts of the city it's usually not rush hour so the half hour time applies. Visiting friends in the deep south or NW from Chestermere used to really suck, and I was seriously considering selling and moving back into the city, but since the ring road was opened commuting is so much easier. That's the point I was trying to make. If you have friends and family spread out all over the area Chestermere is one of the best places to be. Family in Langdon, friends in Airdrie and Okotoks, driving to see any of them is no problem now
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #40
ExiledFlamesFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
When I'm driving to other parts of the city it's usually not rush hour so the half hour time applies. Visiting friends in the deep south or NW from Chestermere used to really suck, and I was seriously considering selling and moving back into the city, but since the ring road was opened commuting is so much easier. That's the point I was trying to make. If you have friends and family spread out all over the area Chestermere is one of the best places to be. Family in Langdon, friends in Airdrie and Okotoks, driving to see any of them is no problem now
How many kms do you put on your car per year?

Tags
calgary , chestermere , moving , thoughts