Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2023, 07:53 PM   #1341
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just installed 4/5 of the sims they sent.

MIL has the other and I will swap that one on Saturday.

Took a few minutes but the random numbers were updated with our original ones.

Now to get the new bill to see what I am being charged.

The MIL's phone should be 0$ but it seems that put it on the same plan as our 25$ / month devices.

Might be an argument coming...we'll see.
Old 09-22-2023, 10:00 AM   #1342
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished the transfer. The initial bill they sent made no sense, so I called and she said "ya, we get that a lot". But she clarified, and my $0 line carries over as the Shaw Basic 1GB BYOD, so i actually get a free gig of data which I used to have to buy an add on for. So that's nice. My wife's was the $10 plan with $10 add on, and also transferred over for $10/month, so another $10 savings. Pretty happy I convinced her to switch from her $35/month Rogers plan 2 years ago to Shaw!

So $10 total for 2 lines with 1GB each, guaranteed until 2028. If you get the sim in the mail, all you have to do its turn off your phone, put it in, and turn it on. It'll take about 30 minutes to an hour for it all to transfer, so make sure you don't need calling then.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 10:43 AM   #1343
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good thing I am not a heavy data user, $25 for an additional 1.5GB is a pretty big rip off compared to the Shaw price of $10/GB. You are better to just go with the overage rate which is $10/GB. Baffling.
Old 09-25-2023, 10:40 AM   #1344
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Good thing I am not a heavy data user, $25 for an additional 1.5GB is a pretty big rip off compared to the Shaw price of $10/GB. You are better to just go with the overage rate which is $10/GB. Baffling.
That number looks too reasonable for a telecom overage rate. $10 per GB overage would be a dream.

Fido (owned by Rogers) is $15 per 100 MB for overage rate. I had to call recently to address one of these charges for a family member and demand an explanation why the data overage protection didn't kick in.

https://www.rogers.com/support/mobil...-wireless-code

The overage rate per this for Rogers customers is obscene, but it supposedly by law caps at $50? I don't know the rates for the other telecoms under Roger's umbrella.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 10:46 AM   #1345
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd have to look at the paper that came with the sim card again. I'm sure that's what it said.
Old 09-25-2023, 10:47 AM   #1346
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Shaw’s ‘By the Gig plan’ will equal to the ‘Shaw Basic 1GB’ plan under Rogers and include:
  • 1GB of national data at 150Mbps.
  • An overage rate of $10/GB.
  • Unlimited Canada-wide calling and international messaging.
  • New features include U.S.-wide calling and U.S. roaming.
https://mobilesyrup.com/2023/06/26/r...hing-networks/

The US roaming is a nice touch, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2023, 11:25 AM   #1347
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Finally installed my sim cards and everything ported over clean. I did try not rebooting the phone during the swap and that didn't seem to take, but ported over right after I rebooted that phone, though that could have just been a coincidence.
Old 09-25-2023, 12:37 PM   #1348
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Finally installed my sim cards and everything ported over clean. I did try not rebooting the phone during the swap and that didn't seem to take, but ported over right after I rebooted that phone, though that could have just been a coincidence.
Hmm I put my Sim card in on Friday and nothing ported over the weekend. It still says pending in the my rogers.

Kind of annoying

***apparently just calling in and selecting complete transfer may have solved everything***

Last edited by fundmark19; 09-25-2023 at 12:53 PM.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 03:13 PM   #1349
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

And, round 2. Another $200 bill. They effed up so badly in July that we had no bill last month plus a nearly $25 credit applied to this month's bill. Which, if they were honoring the contracted amount from Shaw, our bill should have been just under $60 this month, instead of the $81.75 it would have been. So why in hades it's a $200 bill is beyond me.

Back to sitting on messaging with them for another 5 bloody hours to get it fixed.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 10:10 PM   #1350
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

So I have 2 free Shaw lines that were converted to the Rogers 1GB plans, but one of them went over the 1GB last month so I got dinged an extra $10 on the bill because it automatically added another gig. Is there anyway to stop that automatic data purchase from their website or do I have to call in?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 08:49 AM   #1351
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
So I have 2 free Shaw lines that were converted to the Rogers 1GB plans, but one of them went over the 1GB last month so I got dinged an extra $10 on the bill because it automatically added another gig. Is there anyway to stop that automatic data purchase from their website or do I have to call in?
The only limit I could find through their website was capping it at $50 in data overage or $100 in roaming charges on a single bill cycle, I couldn't find a way to block any data use over the plan limit. So I had to go and set the limits on my kids' phones and let them know if they change settings and go over they are paying for it.
Ashartus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 09:54 AM   #1352
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

So zero resolution yesterday or today. I started with the CRTC this morning, to get proper information on who to contact to complain, and they gave me the numbers. In good faith, I started with Rogers, per the CRTC. 45 minutes on hold at various times, transferred multiple times to people who have no clue or were the completely wrong department. So, now I've moved on to the CCTS to file a complaint - spoke with them via phone first, to ensure we have grounds to file a complaint and since they assured us we do, we filed the complaint about 5 minutes ago. The complaint form asked if we would like to be compensated for the inconvenience and damages we have incurred through incorrect billing and told us they could ask Rogers to compensate us up to and including $5K. So we shot for the moon and said sure, compensate us for $5K, LOL. I'm sure it won't happen, but hell, they said we could ask for it, so we did.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2023, 10:13 AM   #1353
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish I could give you the contact info for the lady I spoke to....she was so nice and took care of everything.
Old 09-26-2023, 10:19 AM   #1354
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got 3 dipsticks from some call centre this morning. The guy I spoke with via Rogers chat/messaging system yesterday, was nice but he couldn't do jack squat except "escalate to the back office" - whatever the "back office" is, who I apparently cannot speak to.
Old 09-26-2023, 10:51 AM   #1355
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently my sim is on the way. I got the email the other day about my kid's $0 plan being changed to an "equivalent" $50 plan, but I was quite busy and only scanned it. I made a mental note to call those jerks and tell them where to shove their plan.

Then I re-read the email, scrolled down, saw that the $50 was all cancelled out through bill credits until 2028. I still expect something to screw up, but I'll pause my discontent for now.

The sim is on the way via XpressPost, so we'll see what the billing looks like when the dust settles.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 04:26 PM   #1356
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Trying to cancel Shaw on the online chat

"Sorry but we can't do that online. You have to call xxx, ext x, ext x, ext x, ext x"

*call, sit on hold for 1.5hrs*

"Hi - oh you'd like to cancel? I'll have to transfer you to another department"

*sit on hold for another half hour*

"Hi - oh you'd like to cancel? Let me just grab your *click*............"

Convenient how just when I was near the end of this seemingly impossible cancellation request, the call mysteriously dropped.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 06:02 PM   #1357
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just reading crappy customer service grinds my gears. You just know some dickhead at a boardroom table got an extra big bonus for cutting costs.

Don’t take it out on the front line workers!! Nah, if nice or reasonable perfect, no probs, but if they are in the least bit standoffish on something you are 100% in wrong. I.e. you are lying to me….
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 06:23 PM   #1358
Gravitykillr
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
How long did the porting take? I put the sim card into my daughter's phone and need to wait on the porting taking place.

The "temp phone number" works
Gravitykillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 06:46 PM   #1359
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitykillr View Post
How long did the porting take? I put the sim card into my daughter's phone and need to wait on the porting taking place.

The "temp phone number" works
Mine both tool 30 minutes. Did you turn the phone off when you swapped? I think you might have to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2023, 06:48 PM   #1360
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The first took about 30 mins.. the other two almost an hour but I didn't turn the phone off when I swapped.. then it ported very quickly after I rebooted them.