Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2023, 02:43 PM   #9081
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
I think Texas is the team to beat this postseason. Tampa would be up there as well. Baltimore losing the closer could be hurting them a bit.
Not so sure about Texas as being THE team to beat. They've lost a lot of big games down the stretch in games that mattered. That said, I don't want the Jays playing them.

I'd rather the Astros win the division and be the Jays opponent should they beat the Twins, personally. I know careful what you wish for, but given the history against the Rays and (recently) the Rangers I'll take those options.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2023, 02:49 PM   #9082
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Twins offence is probably the weakest option to face. However I have two concerns. They have the best 1-2 punch on starting pitching and I could see being shut down easily. Second they’ve kinda owned Gausman lately so that’s a concern for game one. I think whomever takes game one of this series will likely sweep in two.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 03:09 PM   #9083
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't want to play Tampa purely because nobody can get Ramirez out. He absolutely has our number.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2023, 03:27 PM   #9084
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Rangers are not a team to beat IMO. I'll be shocked if they get through the wild card.

A Jays/Astros ALDS match up works for me.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 03:35 PM   #9085
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

We won’t have to face Glasnow which is a huge bonus. I’d take Lopez/Gray over Glasnow

Last edited by Jiggy_12; 10-01-2023 at 03:37 PM.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 03:54 PM   #9086
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Astros win, Minny it is.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 03:58 PM   #9087
expo2428
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kind of find it funny the Jays didn't even go out and just tap their caps to the home fans they all just went straight into the dressing room
expo2428 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to expo2428 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2023, 04:14 PM   #9088
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by expo2428 View Post
Kind of find it funny the Jays didn't even go out and just tap their caps to the home fans they all just went straight into the dressing room
It kind of feels like a bit of a disconnect between the city and the team this year. The low attendance and booing during the Texas series. The recent Belt comments about noise. Vladdy being subdued.

Feels like Schneider’s moustache was the biggest fan connection, and he won’t even make the post season roster.

I watched a lot of games this year, and there never seems to be any segment showing Jays in the community.

Chris Bassitt donating $200,000 to Jays Care thru his pitching wins, is the only one to come to mind, which is great, but unclear if it’s only financial or if he is donating time with them as well.

No Mikael Backlund community work on display. But maybe it’s happening behind the scenes and Sportsnet doesn’t really promote it on their broadcasts.
Old 10-01-2023, 04:16 PM   #9089
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

They deserved to be booed in the Texas series
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2023, 04:16 PM   #9090
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anywho, that was about the best it could have turned out today results wise.

Bring on the Twins!

Thought if anyone is going to snap their playoff futility streak, it’d be the Jays. Feels like a very Toronto thing to do.
Old 10-01-2023, 04:17 PM   #9091
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
They deserved to be booed in the Texas series
Agreed. I’m on the fans side here!

We all want to support them. Give us reasons to cheer, or at least not boo.
Old 10-01-2023, 04:30 PM   #9092
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't imagine the Jays actually holding a grudge under happy circumstances at this point. It was probably an oversight on their part if they've been told there's a quick flight or something. Could very well be an oversight giving them the benefit of the doubt.

This year's been an interesting one. Frankly, I think all teams fans should boo if the team isn't putting in a full effort. Advertisers these days put economic pressure on teams for things. Why can't the paying public show their displeasure? The problem with this years team is they haven't put any streaks to build fan excitement. Seems like a lot of guys just strike out in the worst way and show no emotion of losing. In Toronto people just want to see effort. The city loves their hard workers above all. Results will come but effort appearance is so important. If you had a team player to outwardly tell reporters and fans game after game, "we're working hard for you", that player would be loved instantly.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 04:31 PM   #9093
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can't imagine the Jays actually holding a grudge under happy circumstances at this point. It was probably an oversight on their part if they've been told there's a quick flight or something. Could very well be an oversight giving them the benefit of the doubt.

This year's been an interesting one. Frankly, I think all teams fans should boo if the team isn't putting in a full effort. Advertisers these days put economic pressure on teams for things. Why can't the paying public show their displeasure? The problem with this years team is they haven't put any streaks to build fan excitement. Seems like a lot of guys just strike out in the worst way and show no emotion of losing. In Toronto people just want to see effort. The city loves their hard workers above all. Results will come but effort appearance is so important. If you had a team player to outwardly tell reporters and fans game after game, "we're working hard for you", that player would be loved instantly.
Could be superstition as well, just thinking hey don't want to tip our cap because we'll be back for the ALDS.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2023, 04:52 PM   #9094
expo2428
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It was just fan appreciation day that's the reason why so thought it was funny. I can't believe how bad Texas blew it. Instead of having a bye they now have to play the top 2 teams in the AL if they want to continue a path.
Old 10-01-2023, 05:44 PM   #9095
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Which players do you question the effort of? Besides Vladdy.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 05:45 PM   #9096
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidder View Post
It kind of feels like a bit of a disconnect between the city and the team this year. The low attendance and booing during the Texas series. The recent Belt comments about noise. Vladdy being subdued.

Feels like Schneider’s moustache was the biggest fan connection, and he won’t even make the post season roster.

I watched a lot of games this year, and there never seems to be any segment showing Jays in the community.

Chris Bassitt donating $200,000 to Jays Care thru his pitching wins, is the only one to come to mind, which is great, but unclear if it’s only financial or if he is donating time with them as well.

No Mikael Backlund community work on display. But maybe it’s happening behind the scenes and Sportsnet doesn’t really promote it on their broadcasts.
Kevin Gausman has been a fantastic addition to the community.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 05:53 PM   #9097
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by expo2428 View Post
They hope to be back home next week.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 05:55 PM   #9098
Underdog
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I find the whole "not very likeable" narrative is kinda weird. These guys all seem to be good people that like each other and don't rock the boat and I'm ok with that. Much more likeable than jerks like Donaldson, or showboats like Bautista or lazy players like Teo in my eyes.
Old 10-01-2023, 06:04 PM   #9099
expo2428
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
They hope to be back home next week.
Yeah I should've clarified my original comment as I didn't think it the Blue Jays were slighting the fans as there was a grudge or anything like that or that they didn't think they'd be back home. Just was fan appreciation day so I expected like a hockey thing where they'd all go salute the crowd quickly or something then run into the dressing room to party that's all.
Old 10-01-2023, 06:06 PM   #9100
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I find the whole "not very likeable" narrative is kinda weird. These guys all seem to be good people that like each other and don't rock the boat and I'm ok with that. Much more likeable than jerks like Donaldson, or showboats like Bautista or lazy players like Teo in my eyes.
It's more how the team plays and makes things harder than it should be. Just like the Flames last season. You're going to go through slumps but there were too many times this season where watching them felt like a chore.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote