Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #101
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
What's EAD?
I assume that it means Eat a "Richard".
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roast Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #102
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Explain Accurate Directions"
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #103
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nokia Here Maps now in the App Store.

Played with it and don't like the interface as much as google. That and I notice that the call Deerfoot, "Badlands Trl" WTF!?!
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #104
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Yesterday I was entering a road from a driveway, but Apple Navigation wanted me to turn left 270 degrees instead of making a right turn. I thought that was funny.

For the most part, I haven't had too many issues with Apple Maps. it still needs a little bit of work though.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #105
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
"Explain Accurate Directions"
Thread title updated!
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #106
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Yesterday I was entering a road from a driveway, but Apple Navigation wanted me to turn left 270 degrees instead of making a right turn. I thought that was funny.

For the most part, I haven't had too many issues with Apple Maps. it still needs a little bit of work though.
It likely didn't know the orientation of the vehicle if you hadn't begun rolling - the magnetic compass is of limited value inside a car, and the GPS can't be used to determine direction of travel until you're actually moving enough for a change in position to register.

Not defending DEM, but that kind of behaviour leaving a stationary position at the start of a trip could be expected of any app.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #107
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
It likely didn't know the orientation of the vehicle if you hadn't begun rolling - the magnetic compass is of limited value inside a car, and the GPS can't be used to determine direction of travel until you're actually moving enough for a change in position to register.

Not defending DEM, but that kind of behaviour leaving a stationary position at the start of a trip could be expected of any app.
I had started moving, and originally, it told me to turn right, but as I pulled up to the light, it recalculated, and told me to turn left, then left again onto the street that I was directly facing. I assume that it was then going to ask me to turn left a third time in the same intersection, as it didn't think the driveway I was coming out of was a road, and certainly wouldn't take me where I asked it to lead me to.

It was a combination of me being on a road (driveway) that it didn't have in the database, and the actual programming of the roads.

I agree that it could have happened with any mapping system.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #108
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently people are looking for Mildura, Australia have found themselves being led to a forsaken area smack middle of Murray Sunset National park 70km away

Problem is there is no water or gas within 50km of the area and temperatures reach 46+ degrees during the day since it's in the middle of the desert. Cell phone reception in the area is almost non-existent and several motorists have gotten lost for upwards of 24 hrs without food or water before police managed to find them. Police have been forced to put out an advisory warning people not to rely on iOS6 Apple maps in the area.
http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/more...ng-system.html

Last edited by FlameOn; 12-09-2012 at 08:40 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #109
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Apparently people are looking for Mildura, Australia have found themselves being led to a forsaken area smack middle of Murray Sunset National park 70km away

Problem is there is no water or gas within 50km of the area and temperatures reach 46+ degrees during the day since it's in the middle of the desert. Cell phone reception in the area is almost non-existent and several motorists have gotten lost for upwards of 24 hrs without food or water before police managed to find them. Police have been forced to put out an advisory warning people not to rely on iOS6 Apple maps in the area.
http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/more...ng-system.html
just wait until someone gets lost and dies thanks to Apple maps. sure you can say it's not their fault, people shouldn't be relying on their maps, etc. but to remove the old app that worked fine and didn't get people stranded in the middle of nowhere, and replace it with something that isn't nearly as reliable, they need to shoulder some of the responsibility
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #110
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
just wait until someone gets lost and dies thanks to Apple maps. sure you can say it's not their fault, people shouldn't be relying on their maps, etc. but to remove the old app that worked fine and didn't get people stranded in the middle of nowhere, and replace it with something that isn't nearly as reliable, they need to shoulder some of the responsibility
All it takes is one slightly overheated engine, flat tire or running out of gas after making that wrong turn because of a bad app before you are stuck on foot potentially dehydrating, add to that everything is venomous and trying to kill you in the Australian outback. I don't like those chances.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #111
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
GPS systems have been getting people stranded since they first began getting sold. A funny list

http://www.ranker.com/list/9-car-acc.../robert-wabash

It doesnt really matter the system GPS will in some circumstances give you wrong directions.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #112
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't Apple have a feedback system to deal with these bugs? I can't believe more than one person got lost using a map and Apple wasn't informed to fix their routing to this place.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #113
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Used Apple Maps the other day in Winnipeg to find some directions to businesses and a restaurant. Worked pretty good, I must admit. If they can get the bugs and screwups fixed, it is a decent enough program.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #114
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Personally, I'm loving the retro vibe that the black and white satellite imagery has for the last two major Southern Ontario towns I was researching.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #115
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

makes me think of this,
(best one I was willing to find)
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #116
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I want Apple to buy Waze. There are many things it does so incredibly well, one of which is if come upon a road that isn't on the map yet you can hit a record button and "pave" the road in by driving on it. Once they confirm that you aren't just being a jackass, they'll add it to the map.

It has many other great services like the ability to report a lane blockage, accident, etc for other people to know.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #117
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For me on my 3GS, I'd say Google Maps is still a bit better, but I definitely like the turn by turn directions it gives on my wife's 4S. It still has turn by turn directions on my 3GS, but it doesn't speak the instructions, nor does it seem to update to the next instruction when I make a turn. I also love the fact I can just ask Siri to give me directions to some place and it figures it out.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #118
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
For me on my 3GS, I'd say Google Maps is still a bit better, but I definitely like the turn by turn directions it gives on my wife's 4S. It still has turn by turn directions on my 3GS, but it doesn't speak the instructions, nor does it seem to update to the next instruction when I make a turn. I also love the fact I can just ask Siri to give me directions to some place and it figures it out.
my Galaxy S2 gives me the best of both worlds here. live, spoken turn-by-turn directions, voice commands, and powered by Google Maps
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #119
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mobilesyrup reporting that Google Maps for iOS will be available tonight.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #120
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

http://itun.es/ca/A8S3I.i

Google Maps is available now. Everyone can quit their crying now.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post: