Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #3921
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or give it a try at home?

Go to MEC and buy cycling specific gear, if you are going to ride a bunch in the winter, it is a worthwhile investment.

According the the local accu-weather, it is supposed to be in the -20's in a few days. I have ridden my ratting in as cold as -25 and it was cold, but it was also in the afternoon when the sun was shining and it helped warm me up a bit.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:04 PM   #3922
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, went to MEC and got this:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5043-033/Glacier-Bando
The one review said he used it for cycling to -25 so seamed like it would work. Plus it looks more suited to robbing banks, should our economy continue to tank.

I didn't want a full head one because I wanted to be able to take it off if needed without removing my helmet. I think I'm just going to take a hole punch and enlarge a few of the breather holes.

I did check the cycling section but they didn't have anything down there, she said they were all upstairs. I did intend on buying something specific for cycling when I walked in.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:27 PM   #3923
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

That will help, but for the next few days you will want a ski helmet (with ear flaps) and a full block heater for your mind.

As an aside, I can remember the really tough guys in my high school wearing jean jackets with a hoodie underneath and full on elbow length skidoo mitts when it got really cold
Old 12-05-2016, 06:33 PM   #3924
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wear a thin toque, bike helmet and a ski jacket with a hood that covers everything. I had a couple neck warmers and the hood sealed everything. Ski googles, too. I was actually really warm this morning, so I should be OK for at least 5 degrees cooler. I just though the belaclava would be a bit better than the neck buffs at directing air away from my goggles(which it did do well on the ride home) as when I exhaled air shot straight up.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:19 PM   #3925
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I wear a thin toque, bike helmet and a ski jacket with a hood that covers everything. I had a couple neck warmers and the hood sealed everything. Ski googles, too. I was actually really warm this morning, so I should be OK for at least 5 degrees cooler. I just though the belaclava would be a bit better than the neck buffs at directing air away from my goggles(which it did do well on the ride home) as when I exhaled air shot straight up.
You guys are nuts.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:44 PM   #3926
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL. I thought that a few years ago when a co-worker was doing it. Then I tried last year(which admittedly was very easy) and it isn't bad at all. The worst part is putting several layers on. But now I'd take 25 minutes on the bike(exercising and warming up) over 10 minutes waiting for the bus(standing getting cold), and a 45 minutes of suck travelling on it any day. It's really no different than getting dressed up to go downhill or cross country skiing, but no one calls us nuts for doing that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2016, 07:23 AM   #3927
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every time it gets colder there is one thing I need to upgrade. Today? Toes. Not bad but a touch frosty. I've got a pair of dress socks, and pair of thick merino wool socks over top. I use decent shoes, not thin runners, but not full on winter boots. Shoes have the neoprene toe thingy covers. Anything else I can do, without spending much money? My toes are always cold skiing, so I think I am just a bite sensitive.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:48 AM   #3928
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the full head balaclava from Sugoi, got it at Ridley's. Yesterday and today I've covered my nose up with it too. That plus the ski goggles and my face is fully covered. Not cold at all this morning on the ride in. As for my feet, I'm simply doubling up with basic white socks and wearing my winter boots.

http://www.ridleys.com/product/sugoi...a-131680-1.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2016, 07:58 AM   #3929
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, ok. That one leaves your mouth exposed? Or did you just pull it all the way up? I ended up just pulling mine down this morning after I hit the hill and didn't really need the mouth coverage anyway. Going to try hole punching this thing and see if that works for the ride home. Otherwise may switch to the Sugoi.

I think I also should get some clear goggles, as my orange lenses are a bit darker than I'd like.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:09 AM   #3930
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's flexible enough that you can pull it down under your chin, or wear it over your mouth or full coverage. I find if you are really exerting it can be a challenge to get full breaths of air, but maybe still better than the experience you described with that other one yesterday.

I have the orange tint goggles as well, not too bad and I've only had to put my front light on to setting 2 of 4 available.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:11 AM   #3931
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just cut bigger holes, so I should be golden tonight! Tested it out and can get full breaths, but closing my mouth also closes the gap so should keep me fully protected. I think my head is good for another 10 degrees cooler.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2016, 08:50 AM   #3932
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I think the worst part is how I now spend more time getting dressed/undressed than actually riding my bike.

Fuzz, so that neck warming device you got isn't causing fogging issues? Does it play nice with goggles?

I have a similar thing but had to cut a mouth hole because of fogging issues, and if it's pulled up high enough to stay on, the front part is getting way too high and either under my goggles making fog worse, or there is a ton of extra fabric scrunched up between my mouth hole and goggles, pushing the mouth hole too far down.

I've also been using a snowboard combo bike helmet. It has removable ear flaps and vent blockers for summer, and a magnet for goggle straps. It's awesome, but on it's last legs. Anyone know if something similar still exists?

Edit: Google success this time. I will try find this in town: http://www.giro.com/ca_en/products/m...ckleton-9.html
Old 12-06-2016, 09:04 AM   #3933
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ google suggests bow cycle or/and ridley's may carry this skid lid
Old 12-06-2016, 09:16 AM   #3934
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll let you know tonight if it fogs. The upper lip, when worn properly is under my goggles and I didn't have any issues riding normally. It's when I hit the hills that hell broke loose. So hopefully with a mouth hole I can wear it as designed, be warm, able to breath, and not fog. The trifecta!
Old 12-06-2016, 05:05 PM   #3935
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mouth hole was about an 80% success. I'll make it bigger and should be good. I didn't get any fogging from below, but did get a bit creeping down from above. I assume my touque was just to far down. Will keep tweaking, should be perfect just in time for temps to warm up!
Old 12-06-2016, 06:08 PM   #3936
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Every time it gets colder there is one thing I need to upgrade. Today? Toes. Not bad but a touch frosty. I've got a pair of dress socks, and pair of thick merino wool socks over top. I use decent shoes, not thin runners, but not full on winter boots. Shoes have the neoprene toe thingy covers. Anything else I can do, without spending much money? My toes are always cold skiing, so I think I am just a bite sensitive.
That's my setup exactly. Dress socks, merino wool, shoes, Pearl Izumi toe thingy.........when it gets chilly, I've got some shoe covers that I bought at MEC ages ago. Neoprene, I think, super resilient and forgiving size wise.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:17 AM   #3937
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else still doing this? Man, I'm missing last year's low of -15....This is testing my resolve to ride every day. Yesterday it was so cold my headset started to stiffen up. I have been meaning to get some grease in there, it has only been, uhm...19 years...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2016, 06:50 AM   #3938
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ you are a beast - keep it up
Old 12-08-2016, 07:33 AM   #3939
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well it is starting to get cold. Body/head/face, no problem at all. Fingers and toes? Nothing critical but certainly feeling them by the time I hit downtown. I'm not sure why, but it feels like I am putting twice the effort in as on a nice day. Just riding on the flats feels like a hill climb.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:04 AM   #3940
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup still going, took yesterday off but back at it again this morning. -25 made it my coldest ride of the year so far.

Like you Fuzz everything is staying warm but the tips of the toes this morning did start to feel the cold a little. Oh and it is not just you, this is physically exhausting compared to riding in nice weather. I am crushing food like never before after the rides.
Closed Thread